C5 - Centre Display malfunction

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

MaxPrimal

C5 - Centre Display malfunction

Post by MaxPrimal »

Hi guys,

I went and got petrol today and when I came out my centre colour display and satnav was not working at all. Just had a dead screen. No radio either. The Satnav unit was not lit up and on, so was not working at all. After driving and finding the car was okay and getting a "bleep" which I assume was the tyre pressure warning I always get. I had no service lights or warnings etc. I was able to drive at 60mph and the automatic gearbox behaved fine. By this time I thought a fuse may have blown stopping this display/system working

I stopped after about 10-15 mins at a SAinsburys to get some food. When I came out and to the car, behold the display was working! It appears to be fine now.

I did (stupidly) manage to scrarpe the front bumper against a broken wall I park beside this monring but the damage (while not nice) is superfilical and I can live with it, there is no major cracks/issues so I cannot see this caused it.

Any ideas what may have cuased this to go off? It is a 2002 Exclusive 16V 2.0l Petrol Auto and has it's issues but this one kinda freaked me out a little.

Thanks
Max
2008 RENAULT LAGUNA 3 EXPRESSION DCI 130 - Satnav, Bluetooth and more...
Ben82
My Cars: C5 V6 2004

Re: C5 - Centre Display malfunction

Post by Ben82 »

Haven't had this issue specifically (had a similar one where the backlight remained on the display even after locking the car), but I find that generally that same piece of advice given to computer users works rather well with the C5 when there are small electronic oddities :D
2004 Citroen C5 3L V6 Auto
Brit living in Sweden with an imported from Germany French Car!
qprdude
My Cars: Renault 5 TS, Renault 14ts, Citroen C5 Mk1, Renault Clio sport, Renault Laguna Privilege. Citroen C5 X7 Exclusive. Citroen DS5 D/sport . And around 25+ other brands from Morris Oxford to S Type jag and most things between.

Post by qprdude »

Might not be relevant, but the wife's Clio does the same when the temperature drops too low. There is a quick fix but I cant remember it without going on to the Renault forum. I think you have to remove the relevant fuse, switch everything on, then off for a specific time, replace the fuse and things start to work again. Don't ask me how, but I have had to go through the procedure twice in the last four winters. Alternatively, it has nothing to do with this and as it's now working, do as you would when your laptop crashes then starts working again although you didn't do anything. Ignore it completely and then threaten it with a good thrashing if it ever does it again
Rick.

2013 Citroen DS 5 D/Sport
2007 Renault Clio Campus sport. 1.2l

Sometimes the change doesn't work.
MaxPrimal

Post by MaxPrimal »

:) I like the answers! It was fine on the way home so I am assuming the car was having a stupid moment for a while. Odd how a 10 min visit to Sainsburys cured it :)

I will keep an eye out and if it doesn't happen again me and the car will get on fine. If it decides to pack up I will have words with the car... the four letter type!

Thanks
Max
KevMayer
My Cars:

Post by KevMayer »

I've had problems with my colour display. It became intermittent a few years ago and eventually packed up. I took the processor out and sent it for repair. It worked for around 3 more years and then failed again.

I got a replacement procesor off ebay and it's now working again.

It appears to be essential to the whole car. Not only sat nav but radio, computer and alarms/indications. When it's working it's great.
Cheers, Kev

02 plate C5 2.2 Hdi Exclusive SE (now 170k miles 03/21).

Used to have:- Xantia 1.9 TurboD SX. 1996 Blue & 1998 Silver Activa. + 1992 BX TZD Turbo.
KevMayer
My Cars:

Post by KevMayer »

Take a look.... :cry:

http://www.frenchcarforum.co.uk/forum/v ... it=sat+nav" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Cheers, Kev

Used to have:- Xantia 1.9 TurboD SX. 1996 Blue & 1998 Silver Activa. + 1992 BX TZD Turbo.
MaxPrimal

Post by MaxPrimal »

Thanks for the heads up Kev. Did you have to remove the whole of the Navigation CD-Drive to get to that bit? That is how it seems to me a and if so is it fairly easy to get out? If it goes again I would look to remove it and see if there is anything obvious perhaps.

Thanks
Max
KevMayer
My Cars:

Post by KevMayer »

The processor can be removed if you take out the instrument cluster.
The instrument cluster comes out very easily. I use two dessert spoon handles. You slide them under the cluster at the two points with the 'dots'. this releases two springs and the cluster lifts out by pulling the bottom out first.
Cheers, Kev