Xantia - Anti Sink Valve

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

lancia58
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: Xantia 2.0 16V Automatic make year 2000 LHD
Citroen C4 THP Automatic make year 2009 LHD
Citroen C4 VTS 2.0 16V make year 2006 LHD

Xantia - Anti Sink Valve

Post by lancia58 »

Hi

How can it be verified that the anti sink valve is in a good working order ? Any failure with this device ?

Thanks
Zohar
Xantia 2.0 16V Automatic make year 2000 LHD
VertVega
My Cars:

Re: Xantia - Anti Sink Valve

Post by VertVega »

if you recently have a "sinking Xantia" then it might also be caused by the leaking seals in the front struts.
C5 II 2.0i 16V - 2005 - Estate - 103KW - EW10A - Petrol - Manual
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Generally the anti-sink valve is one of the most reliable hydraulic components there is. Failure is very rare..

As Vert Vega says, the cause of sinking is almost always something else...

Why do you ask?
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

Zohar's environment is not dissimilar to Australia in many ways - consistently quite warm and often a superfine dust in the air.

Considering the way LHM drops viscosity like a stone with temperature rises, it's not a big stretch to imagine that leakage through a valve in an always-warm climate is going to be greater than leakage through the exact same valve (per cycle count) in a milder climate.

I'm not saying it's all the reason, but you can pick a worn antisink here.
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

Sinking can also be caused by low pressure spheres that end of the car not providing enough pressure to shut the anti sink valve
1.9TD+ SX Xantia Estate (Cassy) running on 100% veg
1.9TD SX Xantia Hatchback (Jenny) running on 100% veg for sale
Laguna II 2.0dCi Privilege (Monty)

DIY sphere tool
Mandrake
My Cars:

Post by Mandrake »

Xac wrote:Sinking can also be caused by low pressure spheres that end of the car not providing enough pressure to shut the anti sink valve
Can't see how Xac. The anti-sink valve is a pretty simple device. The valve closes when the pressure from the accumulator sphere is lower than the pressure currently in the suspension. The condition of the suspension spheres doesn't have much if anything to do with it.

Ironically the better the accumulator sphere the more the car will sink. A good accumulator sphere will keep the pressure from the pressure regulator higher than the suspension for longer, thus give the suspension more chance to sink before the anti-sink valves close. A poor accumulator sphere will cause the anti-sink valves to close sooner after the car is parked thus less initial height loss.

If you don't believe that, try bleeding the pressure regulator immediately after the car is parked and notice that there will be less loss of height after a few hours than normal...
Simon

1997 Xantia S1 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive in Silex Grey
2016 Nissan Leaf Tekna 30kWh in White

2011 Peugeot Ion Full Electric in Silver
1977 G Special 1129cc LHD
1978 CX 2400
1997 Xantia S1 2.0i Auto VSX
1998 Xantia S2 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

It can Simon. I know it defies logic and all theory but if, and especially at the rear, the corners are flat or ruptured then the car will sink somewhat. As Xac says, I too believe it's because the anti-sink valve is prevented from sharply and positively operating under such conditions...

I've had it empirically proved several times now. Had I not then I'd have been right with you.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
lancia58
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: Xantia 2.0 16V Automatic make year 2000 LHD

Post by lancia58 »

Hi

Can a leaking pressure regulator be the cause ? Can the anti sink valve get clogged ? What is the most common reason for sinking ?

Thanks
Zohar
Xantia 2.0 16V Automatic make year 2000 LHD
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

Zohar, how many miles has the car done? In Europe Citroen recommend the LHM fluid is changed every 36,000 miles, and on the third change (108,000 miles, and every third change from then on) a hydraflush cycle is done to clean out the pipework, etc. I don't know if that would be the same where you are, but (unless somebody knows better) lets' assume so for now. My car, Gracie, is currently on a hydraflush cycle. On my BX, the LHM was black when I got it, and the hydraflush had its work cut out (but it did get everything clean).
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!