Rear brakes Slightly out of balance - xantia td estate

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Timmo
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: 58 partner teepee outdoor hdi.
58 C2 Code in black! Fun!

Rear brakes Slightly out of balance - xantia td estate

Post by Timmo »

Afternoon chaps,
just had the MOT on the car, one of the advisory points was 'Rear brakes slightly out of balance' now, ive not looked at them but am assuming that its the start of the corrosion on the back plates?? Is this the right thinking or am i way off??
Just sorting out a few bits to have a weekend of advisory rectifying ;-)
(only failed on small patch of welding on drivers rear door shut, - the water trap area)

ta muchly in advance

Timmo.
After All, I am the Cornish one!

'58 C2 Code
'58 partner teepee outdoor
Mandrake
My Cars:

Re: Rear brakes Slightly out of balance - xantia td estate

Post by Mandrake »

Depends what they mean by "out of balance". I'm assuming that means that one side is braking harder than the other ?

Given that you haven't looked at them yet I would give them a basic service regardless of whether the calipers are misaligned or not - the ones in my V6 are misaligned to the point where the left hand one is very close to touching the disc and neither side was working at all (the rear of the car was lifting right up under braking) but after a simple service they passed the MOT without comment and they actually work perfectly fine. (braking is excellent, no lifting at the tail under hard braking)

What I would do is remove the pads and make sure the pads are not actually rusted to the caliper, (some were in mine) clean up the gap between the pads and caliper so they don't jam against each other, put the pads back then squeeze each piston right back and push it out 4-5 times, I do this with the pads in place by squeezing between the caliper block and the tab at the top of the pad with a pair of adjustable pliers (the sort that has several slots for the pivot to go into) and using the brake pedal to push them out again.

After that bleed the brakes thoroughly and you'll be amazed how well mangy old pads with misaligned calipers can work. :lol: Free movement of the pistons and pads is the key, along with absence of air bubbles in the brake lines.

Yes if the calipers are misaligned due to rust you'll want to get that done one day...but unless its nearly touching the disc I wouldn't fret about it.
Simon

1997 Xantia S1 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive in Silex Grey
2016 Nissan Leaf Tekna 30kWh in White

2011 Peugeot Ion Full Electric in Silver
1977 G Special 1129cc LHD
1978 CX 2400
1997 Xantia S1 2.0i Auto VSX
1998 Xantia S2 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive
Timmo
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: 58 partner teepee outdoor hdi.
58 C2 Code in black! Fun!