Some lexia readout questions

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Ben82
My Cars: C5 V6 2004

Some lexia readout questions

Post by Ben82 »

Finally had some time to sit down with lexia in my car, my main goal was to try to determine why frequently (but randomly) the service light would come on without any message, only to have it disappear on the next start (usually i've warmed the car up by then). There wasn't anything obvious that I could find on that in Lexia, but I did find some other goodies that hopefully you guys can help with:

Was trying to clear the Faults with the Injection system (my seemingly one off issue with the Anti Pollution Fault that i've never seen again), but when I try to "Erase Faults", it tells me this:
lexia-ecu.PNG
I assume this is just an information screen and not a "do this now!"? (if the ambient air bit is to do with outside temp, I won't be able to do that for a while!)

Next up, within the fault log we have this:
lexia-miles.PNG
Is this predicting the future? or does the BSI sometimes have these "happens in the future miles" oddities?

Also in the fault log, had 1 each of the left/right indicators shorting to earth/positive, was quite a few thousand kms ago so probably not an issue.

Configuration wise:
lexia-drl.PNG
Is this setting for having fitted DRLs or making the headlights stay on during the day? I may invest in fitting some DRLs myself to try to maybe reduce costs on headlight replacements and the smidge of fuel it saves.

There is also in this section a wiper sensitivity option, which is set to 14, I've not really liked the automatic wipers (used to love the ones in my primera, could have it turned on pretty much 24/7 and they would be very accurate), the ones in my C5 seem slightly on the random side, often rain won't set them off, and when it does, and the rain pretty much stops, the wipers keep on going, rarely do they work in a way that I can keep the autowipe on :(.
Is anyone happy with their autowipe on the C5 Mk1? and if so what have you got this setting on?

Thanks again

Ben
2004 Citroen C5 3L V6 Auto
Brit living in Sweden with an imported from Germany French Car!
Mandrake
My Cars:

Re: Some lexia readout questions

Post by Mandrake »

Ben82 wrote:Finally had some time to sit down with lexia in my car, my main goal was to try to determine why frequently (but randomly) the service light would come on without any message, only to have it disappear on the next start (usually i've warmed the car up by then). There wasn't anything obvious that I could find on that in Lexia, but I did find some other goodies that hopefully you guys can help with:
Well that's a fascinating combination of fault codes you have there... my car is so much more boring on the Lexia :lol:
Was trying to clear the Faults with the Injection system (my seemingly one off issue with the Anti Pollution Fault that i've never seen again), but when I try to "Erase Faults", it tells me this:
lexia-ecu.PNG
I assume this is just an information screen and not a "do this now!"? (if the ambient air bit is to do with outside temp, I won't be able to do that for a while!)
I think that message pretty well sums itself up. On some C5's there is a programming procedure for the throttle position sensor which calibrates it so it knows where the throttle is accurately - it looks like this has not been done and needs doing.

As it says, it has to be done after certain types of work have been done on the car - if the throttle position sensor is replaced, the ECU has a firmware update downloaded to it, or telecoding. (not sure what that is, but I suspect its the process of mating the BSI and engine ECU so they talk to each other, a one time configuration option in the new ECU)

Given the inconsistency in the mileage reading I suspect that what has happened is that either the engine ECU or BSI have been replaced before you got the car, but the programming of the throttle pedal was not performed. How much history do you know about the car ?

Programming it shouldn't be a problem, the ambient air temperature reading is on the airtake near the throttle body, once the engine and engine bay have fully warmed up it'll be a good 20 degrees or so above outside ambient temperature, so just put the Lexia straight on after you get back from a decent length trip and it should let you do it.
Next up, within the fault log we have this:
lexia-miles.PNG
Is this predicting the future? or does the BSI sometimes have these "happens in the future miles" oddities?
Nope, its either just a glitch, (weird or inconsistent data logged with a fault is not uncommon) or the engine ECU or BSI have been replaced at some point in the past thus the mileage inconsistency.
Simon

1997 Xantia S1 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive in Silex Grey
2016 Nissan Leaf Tekna 30kWh in White

2011 Peugeot Ion Full Electric in Silver
1977 G Special 1129cc LHD
1978 CX 2400
1997 Xantia S1 2.0i Auto VSX
1998 Xantia S2 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive
Ben82

Post by Ben82 »

Mandrake wrote:
Ben82 wrote:Finally had some time to sit down with lexia in my car, my main goal was to try to determine why frequently (but randomly) the service light would come on without any message, only to have it disappear on the next start (usually i've warmed the car up by then). There wasn't anything obvious that I could find on that in Lexia, but I did find some other goodies that hopefully you guys can help with:
Well that's a fascinating combination of fault codes you have there... my car is so much more boring on the Lexia :lol:
Haha, yep, I spent almost an hour down there with it hooked up going through the options :lol:, Kinda wish I had the Lexia when purchasing, it may have highlighted a number of issues then!
Mandrake wrote:
Given the inconsistency in the mileage reading I suspect that what has happened is that either the engine ECU or BSI have been replaced before you got the car, but the programming of the throttle pedal was not performed. How much history do you know about the car ?
Not a lot, we bought the car from 2 sisters, who inherited the car from their late father, so they didn't really know much.. I'm pretty sure from the documentation with at least one of the C5's we looked at (out of the 2) the ECU firmware was upgraded, from a recall that Citroen did. Pretty sure it would have been with both, since if I recall (silly pun) it was a quite serious recall...

Seems a bit of an odd place to have the message though (on fault erasing, you would have thought they'd have it in an earlier screen to remind Engineers to do it)
Mandrake wrote: Programming it shouldn't be a problem, the ambient air temperature reading is on the airtake near the throttle body, once the engine and engine bay have fully warmed up it'll be a good 20 degrees or so above outside ambient temperature, so just put the Lexia straight on after you get back from a decent length trip and it should let you do it.
Thanks, will try to give it a go on the weekend.
ManDrake wrote: Nope, its either just a glitch, (weird or inconsistent data logged with a fault is not uncommon) or the engine ECU or BSI have been replaced at some point in the past thus the mileage inconsistency.
Wouldn't that mean it was replaced with a significantly well used one? I'll see if I can find anything in among the book pack when I go out to the car in the morning.
Ben82

Post by Ben82 »

Tried doing the pedal configuration twice, and the message still appeared... went ahead anyway, looks like it's been cleared a few times in 2012 looking in the history. It said an after sales zone needed to be created, and went through that, was able to go into the configuration after that without the message re-appearing.

Seems like a few faults re-appear when redoing the tests (under Instrument Panel):
lexia-remote.PNG
The top and bottom one re-appear with a simple ignition off and on after clearing, the coolant one seems to require an engine start. Not sure how to make these go away, would have thought the pedal config *may* have gotten rid of the speed ones but no such luck.

There's a yellow bar at the bottom, which says they come from another ECU. Pressing Enter (or * as Lexia likes to call it) does not give any futher information, no fault code, or what the reading actually is etc.

I believe they may be the cause of my random service light on startup (an incorrect coolant sensor reading maybe possible in this cold weather i guess), will have to see what the coolant temperature reading is when starting from cold, but unlikely now that I'll get to do that before next weekend.
Anyone got any ideas?