Lexia (diagbox) help please... C5 Mk1 2.2

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

wideboyno1
My Cars:

Lexia (diagbox) help please... C5 Mk1 2.2

Post by wideboyno1 »

Hi all,

I have tried and tried...honest! but have admitted defeat and i'm asking for help :)
Basically,i bought a clone from ebay and up to now i have got it to read most ecus on the car but the error code i need to clear is in an ecu that it just wont 'see' for some reason.
I've got an 'Antipollution Fault' message and as the car has already been de-fapped i know it's not anything to do with the particle filter etc.In fact,my local inde has already cleared the fault twice...something to do with the egr valve (which is blanked off supposedly) and it has now come back again.Seems to take a few weeks before coming back but thought i'd have no problem now i have my new gadget :)
I can do a 'global' test and it connects and reports on all ecus apart from 'Injection' and 'Abs'.There are usually 3 faults on the 'Instrument panel' (i think it is from memory) which are basically temp reading faults and these can be cleared easily.At the bottom of this section though it does say that these are caused by another ecu which i think is the 'Injection' one which i can't seem to access.I'm guessing once i get in there i can read and clear them and then the engine and service lights will go off.A little further digging in the menus and the only reference i can find to ecus which relate to the 2.2 is '2.2 L 4HX BOSCH EDC15C2',the rest are all for the 2.0 .Was just wondering if it was that Lexia doesn't recognise my ecu and if so is it down to the version of Lexia/Diagbox i'm using or is it the clone gadget software at fault. For the record i,ve tried all versions of diagbox 5.xx which seem to work apart from the 2 ecus not being seen and have also tried ver 6.xx although this just throws up a 'Failure to communicate card' error or similar.My clone came with software version 'APPLI_XS_fUJI_P166138A V4.3.0 @ACTIA 02.02.12. I've also tried downgrading that to V4.2.4 with no change.
When googling i did come across a post from someone saying he was selling his kit and the chap buying it asked specifically if it would work on the 2.2 .Is there something specific about this version thats well known about but i am yet to find?

Appreciate any help from those more in the know.
Cheers,
VertVega
My Cars:

Re: Lexia (diagbox) help please... C5 Mk1 2.2

Post by VertVega »

I couldn't make the Chinese clone Lexia work properly with a C5 Mk2.
Then installed Diagbox but no improvements so far.

Edit: My Lexia works fine with Xantia, also the upgraded Diagbox version.
C5 II 2.0i 16V - 2005 - Estate - 103KW - EW10A - Petrol - Manual
wideboyno1
My Cars:

Post by wideboyno1 »

Thats the annoying thing.It seems as though the clone and software etc are working as they should.I can do all the actuator tests etc and clear fault codes from other ecus but my main problem is not being able to 'see' the injection ecu which is the one that needs clearing to extinguish the service light.
Very computer literate so sure i haven't cocked up the installation as it is 95% working so not sure whats going on.
DickieG
Monaco's youngest playboy
My Cars:

Post by DickieG »

When you do the global test I take it the line relating to injection displays no connection or similar? Have you tried still clicking on that line after the global test has finished as often Lexia will then read the ECU as normal. Failing that do a direct test of the individual ECU by clicking on the other menu away from the global test, this normally works.

Bear in mind that it may be a quirk with your particular car, I've used genuine and clone Lexia's on countless cars now and some cars just don't want to connect/talk whereas others do so perfectly.
13 Ram 1500 Hemi
14 BMW 535D Tourer
19 BMW i3s
06 C3 Desire 1.4
72 DS 21 EFi Pallas BVH
wideboyno1
My Cars:

Post by wideboyno1 »

Hi Dickie,thats just about right.When i do the global test most lines fill up with connection status and fault status.The only 2 that don't are the injection and abs lines,they just both have 'no' or '--' through them.I have clicked on them afterwards which does open up another screen and this is where i found the list of ecus which i presume it supports.There is only one listed that seems to relate to the 2.2 so it may just be that my car has an ecu that Lexia doesn't support but hopefully not.
I can query all the other listed ecus and play around so seems like my car does want to talk to me,just not the one bloomin ecu i do need to to clear everything!
Mandrake
My Cars:

Post by Mandrake »

A few suggestions.

1) Make sure the correct RPO number is entered if asked for. Don't just use 1234 as the RPO number (along with the VIN number) lets the Lexia know which version of an ECU is present in the car if the ECU was ever revised during the production run of the model.

2) Launch diagbox with the interface plugged in, however just before you click the Lexia button within Diagbox unplug the USB plug for the Lexia from your laptop, wait 5 seconds plug it back in, wait another 5 seconds then press the Lexia button. I find I always have to do this to get a reliable connection.

3) Just before you do the global or by function test make sure you do turn the ignition off, then on again, then wait about 5 seconds then try global test or test by function. Sometimes you can get away without turning the ignition off and on, but other times some ECU's wont respond unless they've been recently reset. (I find this happens a lot with the climate control)

4) Just because it fails to establish a dialogue with the ECU first time doesn't mean you should give up, just immediately press the button to attempt again and sometimes the 2nd or 3rd time it will establish a connection. Once you're connected to the ECU you'll be fine. The communication with the ECU's is over a slow 9600bps serial link, and it's a bit flakey at the best of times...in cases where it is cranky its best to use test by function rather than global test, as global test cycles through all the different ECU's, whereas test by function you can go directly to the ECU in question and try more than once in a row.

Regarding Diagbox 6.xx not working, diagbox versions 6.24 and later do not seem to work for many people including myself, if you are trying 6.xx try to update only to 6.22, this version works perfectly for me and seems to be the last version that does.

Whenever you reinstall or update diagbox also be very careful to edit c:\awroot\bin\launcher4\ap and change MAJ_COM=TRUE to MAJ_COM=FALSE before connecting the interface, otherwise it may not work or the interface may be bricked. (The instructions you got with the Lexia software should have described this)

Good luck.
Simon

1997 Xantia S1 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive in Silex Grey
2016 Nissan Leaf Tekna 30kWh in White

2011 Peugeot Ion Full Electric in Silver
1977 G Special 1129cc LHD
1978 CX 2400
1997 Xantia S1 2.0i Auto VSX
1998 Xantia S2 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive
wideboyno1
My Cars:

Post by wideboyno1 »

Cheers Mandrake,nice reply.
Didn't realise that the RPO number was important,have just been putting any old number in.Thought that as the Vin was correctly identified it should be ok.I'll definately try this.
I'll also make sure to turn the ignition off/on every time it asks.Had been getting fed up with the trafficmaster lady so didn't do it every time.I assume this means all the way off and not just to the accessories position?
The global test does seem a bit unnecessary especially as like you say you can do the test by function,will give this a go too.
I'm actually now using just the base version 5.02 as i tried the 6.xx versions and kept gettin a 'card not functioning' or similar message from within Lexia.
Had tried both of the MAJ_COM options (currently set to FALSE)...my interface originally came with V4.3.0 and have used the PSA Interface Checker to downgrade to V4.2.4.After trying the diagbox 6.xx versions i let it automatically update all the way through to V4.3.0 again and that is what i've left it at.

Cheers again,
Mandrake
My Cars:

Post by Mandrake »

Ah, if you've not been entering the correct RPO number that might be it. It's a 4 or (after about 2001) 5 digit number on the label in the drivers door jam.

I'm curious about the PSA Interface Checker, where did you find that ? I don't recall off hand what firmware version my interface has, (I'll check next time I have the Lexia out) but I didn't realise there was any way to downgrade it.

I was under the impression that if MAJ_COM is left on the default of TRUE (which it changes back to every time you run an update) that it allows automatic firmware updates for the interface with new diagbox versions. I was also under the impression that the Chinese clone interfaces would be bricked by the firmware updates, hence the instructions to set it to FALSE to keep it on the originally supplied firmware...I would be careful, there is a chance of bricking the clone interfaces if its not set to FALSE, maybe you've just been lucky. As long as it still communicates with the rest of the ECU's I think its probably still ok though.
Simon

1978 CX 2400
wideboyno1
My Cars:

Post by wideboyno1 »

Thats even easier then.Thought i may have to go to Citroen Service site to get the RPO.If it's by where the paint code is then i know exactly where you mean.

Got the Interface Checker from a website somewhere but looked at so many now i forget exactly which one.If you PM me with your email i'll send it to you or if you'd prefer i can upload it somewhere (probably Netload).
There was a 'use at your own risk' disclaimer but if i remember right it was compiled by the scarymistake chap who seems to be a bit of a god when it comes to Diagbox.

If MAJ_COM is set to true you're right that it does auto update the clone but as i knew mine was originally shipped with v4.3.0 i knew it was safe to take it back to that version but didn't risk any higher (if indeed there are any).I acheived this just by updating Diagbox through the versions.I stopped when i got to 6.17 which wasn't working anyway.I know diagbox has gone to something like 6.32 now so not sure if leaving auto update on would take the clone firmware past the 4.3.0 mark and as you say maybe brick it.
wideboyno1
My Cars:

Post by wideboyno1 »

Update.....

Tried everything suggested and still no luck.Can see and play with every ecu apart from 'Injection' and 'Anti-lock Braking System'.Have just been to try it on my dads 2.0 c5 with exactly the same results,even down to the suggested ecus in the injection>diesel... menu.
Was thinking of updating Diagbox again and therfore installing with it any updates to the Lexia part of the program but i'm already on v500.14 so not sure theres a substantial benefit in this.
Did wonder whether it made any difference if the .iso was mounted or not but very much doubt it.I installed it,validated etc then unmounted it.The program still functions 95% ok so cant see the other 5% relying on it being mounted.
The only other thing i can think of is that the firmware version on clone somehow doesn't want to work with v5.02 of diagbox.Is there any particular foolproof combination of diagbox/clone firmware versions? I have up to v5.29 of diagbox so can try up to that.As already mentioned,any 6.xx doesn't let me even start diagnosis of any kind.
Mandrake
My Cars:

Post by Mandrake »

Hmm.

I'll check the firmware version of my interface tonight or over the weekend. There have been a few reports on the forum of some Lexia's from ebay having trouble communicating with particular ECU's on particular cars, I'm pretty sure there was a thread about a month or two ago where someone had almost the same problem with the injection ECU on a C5 and if I remember right there was no resolution. It seems that not all clone Lexia's are made equal.

I've only used my Lexia on one C5 - I don't recall the exact model off hand but I do still have the VIN number so I could look it up. It was a diesel automatic though, possibly an HDI. I had no problems reading any of the ECU's and I know DickieG has read a C5 X7 on his Lexia. (same hardware as mine from easydiagnostics)

The fact that your interface won't work at all with Diagbox 6.xx means that either the firmware or the hardware of the interface is different to mine, as mine (from easydiagnostics) came with 6.01 and updaters to 6.19 then 6.22 on the DVD, from there I can use internet update to 6.24, however internet update to 6.26 or later doesn't work for me. (An error during launch and a product activation error after launching)

It might be worth you checking this ill-named thread:

http://www.frenchcarforum.co.uk/forum/v ... =3&t=41720" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It actually grew into a bit of a Diagbox install and troubleshooting thread. (I wish DickieG would rename the thread. :lol: )

Regarding PSA interface checker now I know it exists and what its called I should be able to find it. Scarymistake is the handle of the guy who has done all the patching of Diagbox to get it working on clone interfaces. Without his work none of our clone Lexia's would work... :)
Simon

1978 CX 2400
wideboyno1
My Cars:

Post by wideboyno1 »

More updates....!

Seems your hunch about all clones not being equal could be about right.Following on from this morning next visit was to my local Inde.
I tried his clone on my installation of Diagbox (5.02) and it threw up errors straight away.It looks exactly the same with the same green led and version number.The only difference was that his firmware was 4.2.2 from 09.04.09...so very old compared to mine! He then put his clone back onto his computer (running on older version of Lexia 345) and connected up to my car.Read all ecus and cleared the fault straight away.So much older hardware and software did what i couldn't.For the record the fault was reported as 'Exhaust Gas Recycling : Air flow greater than reported"

I then atached my clone to his computer.As soon as the software started up it downgraded my clone to the same as his v4.2.2.I then tried a 'global' test and 'test by function' and they both failed on the same 2 ecus 'injection' and 'abs'.

I am of the opinion that my clone is just not working correctly.The only differences between mine and the inde's were the firmware version i mentioned (which was then downgraded to the same as his) and in the config tool section of lexia the 1st box of 4 (measurement device...i think from memory!) his had a check and mine when updated didn't.So whether this means his has a 'measurement device' and mine doesn't is open to debate.

The upshot of it all is that i'm now going to try to send it back.I only wish i had purchased it from easydiagnostics first..would have been more than willing to pay the extra had i known.To be fair though i did see somewhere that this particular seller (sydmaz) was recommended so thought it would be ok.
Mandrake
My Cars:

Post by Mandrake »

As promised here is the version screen from my Lexia, running Diagbox 6.24:
Lexia Version.jpg
Looks like the firmware version of the interface is V4.2.4, which will be the original firmware that came on the interface as I have been a stickler about never plugging the interface in with MAJ_COM=TRUE.

Bear in mind that I don't know whether my Lexia would have had problems with your car or not as I've only checked one C5, but a few forum members have the same Lexia from easydiagnostics now and AFAIK none have had problems like you describe.
Simon

1978 CX 2400
oneday
My Cars:

Post by oneday »

i have one from jim at easydiagnostics had it on a few c5s all connected even the 2.2s the only one ive had different was the one today an 03 2.0 hdi that asked for the lights to be put on before the global test but it was the first one ive done with a bosh ecu.
C5 2.0 HDI VTR 2003 ICELANDIC GREY
306 1.4 LX MERIDIAN
wideboyno1
My Cars:

Post by wideboyno1 »

Thanks for taking the time Mandrake,very informative.

Especially interested in the Terminal box section being 'without' and the Presence of measurement card being unchecked.These are exactly as they appear on my clone.However,my indes kit does have a tick at the measurement option and in the terminal box reads something along the lines of 252 link..... (can't quite remember exactly).However,yours and others obviously work with those settings so no reason why mine shouldn't.I have read that there are apparently 'b' and 'c' variants of the clone so maybe Easydiagnostics are selling the 'c' variety.Soon to find out though,going to order one tomorrow from there.Not sure whether best to phone first and explain whats been going on or just plump for it.I notice that his ebay ads actually make reference to the fact that his clones DO work on C5s and 307s,whereas other sellers sometimes miss C5 of the list of supported vehicles so sure there shouldn't be any problems.The only problem i do anticipate is getting my money back for my original unit,the seller is already stalling by the looks of it saying he'll get in touch with a return address in a couple of days...very weird!

Oneday...hope you're right as mine is the 2.2! Lexia advised the lights to be put on on both mine and my dads '52' 2.0 too.