Dispatch 2005: High Pressure Fuel Pump

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

jboycfc65

Dispatch 2005: High Pressure Fuel Pump

Post by jboycfc65 »

Hi,
I post this (hopefully correctly, as its my first ever post!!) in the hope that somebody can enlighten me! My Dispatch 815 Enterprise 1.9d (2005)has just had the High Pressure Fuel Pump (Delphi R8448B371C- DPCDWLP12) replaced with a second hand one (in good nick) from a breaker but it is not working. As a result I have researched as much as I can as to the potential reasons why and I keep coming across comments that elude to the fact there may be an "Immobiliser" either built in or attached that may need re-programming with the main control unit before it will work?? I've also looked at replacement pumps for sale that say that "The Immobiliser has been cut". I've made a couple of phone calls to a few Citroen mechanics locally who say that this particular model pump doesn't have an immobiliser at all!
So my request is please, can somebody clarify whether or not this "Immobiliser" is an issue or not?? I would be most grateful!

Furthermore please, if it is indeed another duff Pump that I have purchsed, I have seen another one available for sale that looks identical to mine and has the exact same part number except the last three numbers ie R8448B 182 C. Its off a Berlingo. Would this still be a compatible pump for my Dispatch??

Thank you very much in Advance

John
jboycfc65

Re: Dispatch 2005: High Pressure Fuel Pump

Post by jboycfc65 »

Sorry have I posted a stupid question or can nobody help me?????
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

No, you haven't posted a stupid question. The probable reason that nobody has answered yet is your problem has not (yet) been read somebody who can answer your question. I cannot, otherwise I would. Be patient, somebody will be able to help you, or point you in the right direction.

Why did the original pump fail?
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
artdjones
My Cars: Citroën C5 1.6 HDi 2005
Peugeot 307 1.6HDi Estate 2005
Peugeot 205GL 1.1 1991

Post by artdjones »

The pump is immobilised using the solenoid valve that switches on the fuel supply.The valve and the ecu of the van are matched electronically and the solenoid on your new pump will not switch on the fuel supply because it's not matched.If you look at the back of the pump you will see that it is encased in a thick steel shield.The solenoid valve is under the bulge on top of this shield.The shield is held on with several shear head screws.You will need to drill these screws out on both pumps and then swap your original solenoid valve onto your new pump.You can re-attach the shield using 6mm allen head screws.Or you can fit a simple solenoid valve as used in Lucas injector pumps before immobilisers were used.This would need to be connected to an ignition controlled live feed.Presumably the pumps you mention as having the immobiliser cut have had one of the simple solenoids fitted.
jboycfc65

Post by jboycfc65 »

Dear Hell razor and artdjones, thank you so much for your reply! I can now see some light at the end of the tunnel and can hopefully get my van up and running again

I am very sorry for my little outburst of frustration above but I have been at my wits end trying to get it sorted to get back out and earn a living. I can't afford Dealership service/repair costs so this info has been invaluable to me. I should have had a bit more patience Hell Razor you are absolutely right. My apologies again. I have no idea why the existing one failed but I trust the guy who told me it had gone so I managed to get a recon one relatively cheaply but in vgc. Thats why I started to investigate things when it wouldn't work and found out about the "immobiliser" issue through different forums etc. This has been the only one that I have had a positive response from so thats brilliant!!
Sincerely .. Thank you very much
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

Don't worry about it. I would be stressing a bit if my transport was off the road and my income had dried up as a result.

Take care, and I hope that you are back on the road very soon.
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
jboycfc65

Post by jboycfc65 »

Further to the above I have now found out that the replacement pump is actually faulty, nothing to do with the solenoid/immobiliser!!. I am obviously urgently now trying to find another replacement. My pump is a Delphi R8448B371C. The problem is I cant find an EXACT replacement model number. The closest I have come is literally one number out ie R8448B391C!! Is this a deal breaker or will it still work???
I have also seen one on EBAY which is very similar in Number R8448B182C but it looks absolutely identical when comparing mine to the photos posted
I am now absolutely desperate to get my van going so would really appreciate your advice!!
Thanks again in advance
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

Hello again,

I just cut and pasted that number into a Google search, and found this;

http://www.dieseljones.co.uk/diesel-fue ... b371c.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

and this;

http://www.findpart.org/part/liz-r8448b371c" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I don't know if it helps at all, but good luck.
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
jboycfc65

Post by jboycfc65 »

Hi Hell Razor cheers again for your reply and for taking the time to search for me! I find it incredible that there are so many variations of even just the Delphi Pumps!! Literally hundreds with similar part codes but not exactly identical ?? I am starting to assume that these miniscule differences in part codes must surely be down to something that is electrically different rather than mechanical?? ie: These solenoid/immobiliser things that are matched to the different ECU's (As mentioned by artdjones above)
Even with my extremely limited knowledge, I know that there simply can't be hundreds of mechanical differences on these pumps surely???
This is why I have been going round in circles thinking is it actually a broken pump or simply an electrical fault?????? I am thinking now that I must bite the bullet and at least take it to Citroen for them to do a full diagnostic? I have already purchased one new pump and been told that is is faulty, I don't want to go through the same process only to find out after all that it is simply and electrical fault!!!!
Thanks a million for your support, its much appreciated
John
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

I can't offer an opinion as to why there are so many different pumps. It could be related to the immobiliser system, but I have no idea.

You might want to look for the Recommended Garages and Services forum before taking the van to Citroen. I'm not sure where it it, but there are comments about it on this forum. If an FCF member is willing to use a garage they probably know what they are doing.

James
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
spider
My Cars: Soon, I hope...

Post by spider »

As far as I know on the DW8 units, there's the early pump with mechanical advance and the later electronic advance units. I think the changeover from mech to elec was around 1999.

99% of DW8's have a Lucas system fitted.

Personally, if this was mine I'd obtain another pump from a DW8 (get mech or elec to match or if in doubt get mech) dearmour it on the bench and then fit it. It should then run as there will be no immobilizer issue.
Andy.

91 205D-Turbo, gone but still missed
02 106D, TUD5B, gone but not really missed apart from the MPG
artdjones
My Cars: Citroën C5 1.6 HDi 2005
Peugeot 307 1.6HDi Estate 2005
Peugeot 205GL 1.1 1991

Post by artdjones »

If you fit a pump with a plain solenoid fitted you may have to leave the original solenoid plugged in to avoid eml light being on permanently.