Replacing front brake discs - '98 306 D

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

smoker

Replacing front brake discs - '98 306 D

Post by smoker »

With an eye on a February MOT, I think I'm going to have to replace the front discs on my xud engined 306 estate - no ABS.

In my mind this is not a terrible job but would appreciate some advice from someone who's done it before. I think:

Wheel off, remove caliper, release screws securing disc to hub, clean mating faces, and refit new discs with new pads.

Is this right?

Couple of additional questions: do I need new caliper bolts? How easy or difficult are the disc retaining screws likely to be to get out? Will they need an impact driver? And are they philips type?

Any advice welcome.
Cheers
52 reg Xsara 110 hdi
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

Allow for new flexis; if original it's a good time for renewal.

Being a "floating" type caliper, you'll need to unbolt the caliper carrier or yoke from the hub carrier/strut assembly. An impact driver or rattle gun is very good here, after cleaning the fastener heads in preparation and wetting the area up with Rost-Off or Plus Gas.

I clean the yoke fixing threads in and out with brake cleaner and re-use with high strength fredlocker, as our bolts don't really rust over here.
spider
My Cars: Soon, I hope...

Re: Replacing front brake discs - '98 306 D

Post by spider »

Nothing really for me to add, later models may have the calliper carriage held on with torx. Ensure as said they are clean, use a good quality bit to fit and gently tap said bit into the bolt as you do not want to chew them up. A blob of theadlock on the large (either 19mm or torx bolts) would be good when you put them back too.

Take the opportunity when the carriage is off to put it into a vice and clean it so the pads are free. I used to do this as a matter of course, although not many others did from my observations.
Andy.

91 205D-Turbo, gone but still missed
02 106D, TUD5B, gone but not really missed apart from the MPG
smoker

Re: Replacing front brake discs - '98 306 D

Post by smoker »

Great, thanks. I had a look this afternoon and it all looks do-able. Only query was which pads to get - Euro car parts lists girling and teves - whereas my calipers say ATE. Looking at google, it seems that Teves may be the same as ATE so have plumped for those.

I hqave another question regarding cv gaiters, which I'll list separately.

Cheers
52 reg Xsara 110 hdi