which part??

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Harlequin
Donor 2023
My Cars: Xantia Activa - one day I`ll own her again! Also miss my `old` 405 GLx4
2005 C5 3 Litre V6 Exclusive in Mauritius Blue and my 1997 Xantia Exclusive V6

which part??

Post by Harlequin »

hey all - yet another question! sorry for annoying everyone :(

im trying to fix a noise on my ` new` diesel synergie - I`ve narrowed it down to the fan belt slapping the tensioner at idle as its fine under load

but , not sure which tensioner it is (think its the top one?) nor which replacement belt I would need - and the likes of ECP have quite a few listed!

its a 1998 1.9TD (bosch pump) diesel synergie with aircon .

any ideas`s?
Simon
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Re: which part??

Post by CitroJim »

Yep, if the tensioner is like the one on the Xantias then it'll be the top spring-loaded automatic one...

However, it may just need adjusting. Basically, adjust using the manual (lower) eccentric until the amount of pre-load on the automatic (upper) tensioner is such that the alignment holes (The holes used to 'pin' the tensioner off when changing belts) line up.

If the tension can't be achieved then the belt may be too long. Check as the belt length is often dependant upon what aircon compressor is fitted.

Another cause is the tensioner spring having elongated fixing holes allowing the spring and tensioner to chatter...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...