removing keypad immobiliser

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

wirdip
My Cars: Citroen C8 2.0 Ltr hdi exclusive auto 2004
Citroen Berlingo 2.0 Ltr hdi 2004
Peugeot 806 1.9 TD 1993

removing keypad immobiliser

Post by wirdip »

Hi folks,
I have a 1996 806 SRDT with keypad, is it much of a job to remove this and is it a good idea to do so.

Regards Wirdip
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Re: removing keypad immobiliser

Post by CitroJim »

Normally, and it seems to hold on most, is that you can disconnect the keypad with the engine running and then you'll never need it again. This is the case with most 1.9TD engined PSA vehicles although I cannot guarantee it'll work for sure on your 806. Noting lost in giving it a try...

But why? They're pretty trouble-free and I can't see any difficulty in having to enter a four digit PIN before you can fire it up. Two of my cars have keypads in working order but then they both have the only PSA engine I know for sure that the keypad cannot be disconnected...

Unless you have a very good reason then I'd leave the keypad in place and in working order.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
DickieG
Monaco's youngest playboy
My Cars:

Post by DickieG »

CitroJim wrote:But why? They're pretty trouble-free and I can't see any difficulty in having to enter a four digit PIN before you can fire it up.
Because the keys wear out in time and leave you stranded :wink:
13 Ram 1500 Hemi
14 BMW 535D Tourer
19 BMW i3s
06 C3 Desire 1.4
72 DS 21 EFi Pallas BVH
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

DickieG wrote:
CitroJim wrote:But why? They're pretty trouble-free and I can't see any difficulty in having to enter a four digit PIN before you can fire it up.
Well, change the PIN regularly so the keys get even wear then :wink:
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Northern_Mike

Post by Northern_Mike »

CitroJim wrote:
DickieG wrote:
Well, change the PIN regularly so the keys get even wear then :wink:
Then you forget the PIN and it leaves you stranded :-o

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Rattiva_Mike wrote: Then you forget the PIN and it leaves you stranded :-o
Well, one credits one who owns a keypad car sufficient intellect and savvy to ensure that doesn't happen...
Jim

Northern_Mike

Post by Northern_Mike »

CitroJim wrote:
Rattiva_Mike wrote: Then you forget the PIN and it leaves you stranded :-o
Well, one credits one who owns a keypad car sufficient intellect and savvy to ensure that doesn't happen...
You'd be amazed Jim. Only last night I was dealing with a Doctor who manages to lock her network account out every single week because she screws the password up. Intelligent lady, obviously. Not great at remembering things.
keithn410

Post by keithn410 »

hi, its pretty easy to remove keypad. turn ignition on and enter pin number into keypad until green light comes on on the keypad. once this is done remove keypad cluster using small screw driver and you will see a multi-plug connector in the back of the keypad. unclip this and your keypad is disabled. its pretty simple to do but please be aware your vehicle is no longer secure once youve done this. :)
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

keithn410 wrote:hi, its pretty easy to remove keypad.
Indeed it is but...

For anyone thinking of doing this, there is one exception where it won't work - that is on the 2.0TCT engine with the Bosch MP3.2 Injection. An engine commonly found in Xantia Activas and many XMs along with some Pug 406s...

I am not aware of any other exceptions but would urge caution around 2.1 Diesels with the Lucas EPIC pump as I have no knowledge as to whether or not the keypad can be disconnected in the manner Keith describes...
Rattiva_Mike wrote: You'd be amazed Jim. Only last night I was dealing with a Doctor who manages to lock her network account out every single week because she screws the password up. Intelligent lady, obviously. Not great at remembering things.
Often goes with the territory Mike.. Those with a brain the size of a planet are often rubbish at the simple things we take for granted...
Jim

Northern_Mike

Post by Northern_Mike »

CitroJim wrote:
Rattiva_Mike wrote: You'd be amazed Jim. Only last night I was dealing with a Doctor who manages to lock her network account out every single week because she screws the password up. Intelligent lady, obviously. Not great at remembering things.
Often goes with the territory Mike.. Those with a brain the size of a planet are often rubbish at the simple things we take for granted...
Yes, having a brain the size of a planet, I am aware of these issues. :P
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Rattiva_Mike wrote:
CitroJim wrote:
Yes, having a brain the size of a planet, I am aware of these issues. :P
Takes one to know one I guess :roll: :lol: :lol:
Jim

wirdip
My Cars: Citroen C8 2.0 Ltr hdi exclusive auto 2004
Citroen Berlingo 2.0 Ltr hdi 2004
Peugeot 806 1.9 TD 1993

Post by wirdip »

Thanks to all you large brained contributors for your help. Nice to know that I have sparked such a lively thread. Just as a matter of fact is this procedure reversible????

Regards Alan
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

wirdip wrote: Just as a matter of fact is this procedure reversible????
Yes it is Alan, so long as you can remember the last PIN used before disconnecting the keypad...
Jim

Homer
My Cars: Current:
Volvo V60 D4 180

Previous:
BX16RS (two of),
BX19TZI,
Xantia 2.0i saloon,
Xantia 2.0 Exclusive CT turbo Break,
Peugeot 807 2.0 HDi 110,
Renault Grand Scenic, 2.0 diesel (150bhp)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi 160 which put me off French cars possibly forever

Post by Homer »

CitroJim wrote:
But why? They're pretty trouble-free

I would guess those still connected must have been the good ones. From what I remember they were anything but trouble free in the early days and disconnecting was almost standard procedure.
spider
My Cars: Soon, I hope...

Post by spider »

Homer wrote:
CitroJim wrote:
But why? They're pretty trouble-free

I would guess those still connected must have been the good ones. From what I remember they were anything but trouble free in the early days and disconnecting was almost standard procedure.
I can remember the early days too. They would not work / refuse code / display both lights, then you'd come back an hour later and they'd be fine. I suspect it was corrosion on the IC1 connectors the large round ones at the front on 106's and 406's that were some of the cause, although S1 306's the wiring seemed to on some models appear to corrode from within. To be fair the newer shape did not do that as much.

Am interested to know about the two models that refuse to have said keypads disconnected. Jim, have you set them to be in "auto" mode, ie green light for 30 seconds automatically when using plip method ? If that does not work then I have to suspect these models have something going on in the CPH unit to prevent it...
Andy.

91 205D-Turbo, gone but still missed
02 106D, TUD5B, gone but not really missed apart from the MPG