Xantia abs light

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

carpysmith
My Cars:

Xantia abs light

Post by carpysmith »

Hi All.
I have an intermittent abs light showing (more on than off) on my xantia hdi. Are there any places worth checking like connections/plugs anywhere before i try and organise a lexia session with someone?
She also spat all the lhm out last week, (split brake pipe!) now fixed, that was somewhat alarming!! fortunately happened just about on my doorstep!! wouldnt have wanted that happening hammering down a motorway somewhere!!
Regards.
Steve (aka carpysmith)
1999 Xantia 2.0hdi sx (estate)
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Re: Xantia abs light

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

Near to the LHM tank is the ABS unit. If you disconnect the plug, and use a good multimeter you can see which is the most likely culprit. Otherwise check the reluctor rings.

http://www.frenchcarforum.co.uk/forum/v ... abs+sensor" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Experience (and this forum) shows the front sensors are more likely to fail. Both front ones have failed on Gracie, and have been replaced;

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CITROEN-XANTI ... 19d4b18212" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
gpz900ra7
My Cars:

Post by gpz900ra7 »

I would check the 2 front sensors first as that happened to me on my 2.0 SX 16v awhile ago, changed the sensors now no more worries :)

Shaun.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Yep, absolutely. You'll most likely find one and more than likely as not the NSF, has gone a little high resistance...

Mine did this and the NSF was at 1060 ohms whereas a new one was 1006 ohms.. Just a little high but enough to matter..

And as James has found, they’re not expensive either so just swap 'em.. I paid over the odds for mine from Neat Autos. A whopping £13 :roll: :lol:
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Mandrake
My Cars:

Post by Mandrake »

CitroJim wrote: And as James has found, they’re not expensive either so just swap 'em.. I paid over the odds for mine from Neat Autos. A whopping £13 :roll: :lol:
What about the reluctor rings on the driveshaft joints, can they be replaced ? The front ones on mine are very VERY rusty, to the point where some of the teeth are partially eaten away, in fact I'm surprised they're still working at all....could be a job that will need doing next summer. :roll:
Simon

1997 Xantia S1 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive in Silex Grey
2016 Nissan Leaf Tekna 30kWh in White

2011 Peugeot Ion Full Electric in Silver
1977 G Special 1129cc LHD
1978 CX 2400
1997 Xantia S1 2.0i Auto VSX
1998 Xantia S2 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Yep, the reluctor rings are easily replaced Simon. I've done it. Bake them at gas mark 7 for thirty minutes and slip them on...

They're quite expensive but a lot cheaper than a new driveshaft/CV joint!
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Mandrake
My Cars:

Post by Mandrake »

CitroJim wrote:Yep, the reluctor rings are easily replaced Simon. I've done it.
When you say easy I presume I should temper that by assuming that the drive shaft has to be extracted from the CV joint and the hub removed ? :?
Bake them at gas mark 7 for thirty minutes and slip them on...
And for those of us brought up with celsius who have no idea what gas mark 7 is, that would be ? :-D
Simon

1978 CX 2400
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Yep, hub nut off and CV joint pushed clear of the hub. No need to remove either fully, just make sure you can get to the reluctor ring easily and pop a hot new one on...

It does mean the bottom swivel joint needs to be disconnected and a decent scissor balljoint splitter is needed...

The old reluctor will not be reluctant to come off but do give the area of the CV joint where it lives a jolly good clean up to remove all dirt and rust so the new reluctor has a nice clean place to bed down on...

Offer up the hot reluctor and if it won't easily slide on just give it some gentle taps with a hammer and punch.

No idea what gas mark 7 is in degrees C or F - sorry. I only cook on gas...
Jim

Mandrake
My Cars:

Post by Mandrake »

I can see the conversation already, "What ARE you cooking in the oven??", "errr, nothing...." 8-[ :-D
Simon

1978 CX 2400
Xantidote
My Cars:

Post by Xantidote »

CitroJim wrote:No idea what gas mark 7 is in degrees C or F - sorry. I only cook on gas...
Gas Mark 7: 425 F, or 220 C, according to my Delia conversion table :)
Mandrake wrote:"What ARE you cooking in the oven??", "errr, nothing...." 8-[
Must admit, I thought for a moment FCF forum was about to go off topic :-D

Happy New Year to all our readers :-D
Martin

1995 Xantia TDLX (deceased :( )
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

I've got to replace one of Gracie's reluctor rings, as it is cracked. I have glued it into place, but when I go over 70 the ABS light comes on. It clears next time I drive, unless I go over the limit.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CITROEN-XANTI ... 27c0132920" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The only problem is I will have to borrow a heavy torque wrench, as Haynes BoL says 320NM for the hub nut.

According to the chart on a website I found, Gas Mark 7 is 220C, 425F

EDIT; Xantidote beat me to the conversion.
Last edited by Hell Razor5543 on 04 Jan 2013, 09:28, edited 2 times in total.
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Northern_Mike

Post by Northern_Mike »

Mandrake wrote:
CitroJim wrote:Yep, the reluctor rings are easily replaced Simon. I've done it.
When you say easy I presume I should temper that by assuming that the drive shaft has to be extracted from the CV joint and the hub removed ? :?
Bake them at gas mark 7 for thirty minutes and slip them on...
And for those of us brought up with celsius who have no idea what gas mark 7 is, that would be ? :-D
About as hot as your oven goes :-) About 220C I think.
Xantidote
My Cars:

Post by Xantidote »

Hell Razor5543 wrote:I will have to borrow a heavy torque wrench, as Haynes BoL says 320NM for the hub nut.
If all original bits are going back on re-assembly, particularly the existing bearings/spacers, could you not just mark the position of the nut and a reference point (on the hub?), with small blobs of paint, or punch marks. I've done this in the past.
Martin

1995 Xantia TDLX (deceased :( )
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

Thanks Xantidote. I hadn't thought of that.
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

Info on doing the job here: ABS Ring

I heated mine on the gas ring till it changed colour a bit and it was loose fit on the shaft. It's not actually the ring that is the problem, rather the CV joint which rusts and expands and then splits the joint. It would be easier to do with the shaft off the car - especially on a V6 where pulling the shafts does not drop the oil :lol: BJ splitter, 35mm socket, and gas ring available here Simon if you need to borrow.... 8-)
Richard W