C5 Heater question

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

MaxPrimal

C5 Heater question

Post by MaxPrimal »

Hi guys,

Sorry for asking so many questions recently, but this C5 is confusing the heck out of me at times and the manual isn't a great help.

Okay, I have dual-zone heater in my 2002 C5 Excusive 16V 2.0l petrol Automatic (jezzz that is a mouth full!). I notice on my dash there are two temperature gauges, one for coolant, one for oil. All fine. I get diving and wait for the coolant to warm up and get some heat. If I set both zones to 28 and put the fans on 3/4. I barely noticeable air flow in the cabin, can't feel it on my legs or anything. When I tell it to recirculate the air, the fan speed seem to double... Similar if I have the air coming out the centre ports, if I close the middle ones I can hear the air coming from the side vents, open the middle and there is barely a trickle. That doesn't bother me as I normally have the car set to send heat to the windscreen and my feet.

Now in my old 54 plate Nissan Primera 2.2Dci (which died and was replaced with the C5), I could drive 6 miles put the heater to 29c at 3/4 speed and be in a sauna 2 miles later. This C5 doesn't seem to get up to anywhere near that level and I wonder if the blowers are working correctly because as I said they seem fairly pitiful when they are not recirculating the air inside the cabin and the heat doesn't feel as good as I would have expected based on my old Primera.

The other thing, and it may be me here. I don't turn the fans on until the coolant heat is at least 1/2 way to it's running temp, but I think the heater works better when the oil temperature is also up to running temp (which takes about 10 miles or so normally for me on a 15 mile journey to/from work. Is that normal? I only ask as I have never had a car that has an oil temp monitor before...

Thanks
Max
2008 RENAULT LAGUNA 3 EXPRESSION DCI 130 - Satnav, Bluetooth and more...
oneday
My Cars:

Re: C5 Heater question

Post by oneday »

replace the cabin filter it sounds like its blocked

c5 takes at least 7 to 8 miles to warm up properly thats the norm
C5 2.0 HDI VTR 2003 ICELANDIC GREY
306 1.4 LX MERIDIAN
Northern_Mike

Re: C5 Heater question

Post by Northern_Mike »

MaxPrimal wrote:Hi guys,

Sorry for asking so many questions recently, but this C5 is confusing the heck out of me at times and the manual isn't a great help.

Okay, I have dual-zone heater in my 2002 C5 Excusive 16V 2.0l petrol Automatic (jezzz that is a mouth full!). I notice on my dash there are two temperature gauges, one for coolant, one for oil. All fine. I get diving and wait for the coolant to warm up and get some heat. If I set both zones to 28 and put the fans on 3/4. I barely noticeable air flow in the cabin, can't feel it on my legs or anything. When I tell it to recirculate the air, the fan speed seem to double.
My guess is the cabin filter is blocked. I had a Ford Cougar recently that had very little airflow in the "outside" position, but blew a gale in recirc mode. Replacing the cabin filter, which was utterly disgusting, solved it..