Changing the wheel

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

MaxPrimal

Changing the wheel

Post by MaxPrimal »

I have read a little about this and just want to make sure I am right in my understanding and go out of 2012 on perhaps a dumb question...

I need to change one of the wheels on my car tomorrow as there is a leaking value and the tyre is knackered so needs replacing (which I cannot afford atm) so I am going to swap the wheel for the spare as I see it is normal tyre and not a space-saver style one.

To do this, I need to raise the suspension to the highest setting and THEN jack the car up, change the wheel as normal, lower it back down and put the suspension back to normal height. Is that correct?

What would happen if I do not raise the suspension to the maximum height? I assume it may damage the car in some way?

Thanks
Max
2008 RENAULT LAGUNA 3 EXPRESSION DCI 130 - Satnav, Bluetooth and more...
oneday
My Cars:

Re: Changing the wheel

Post by oneday »

correct what car is it
C5 2.0 HDI VTR 2003 ICELANDIC GREY
306 1.4 LX MERIDIAN
MaxPrimal

Post by MaxPrimal »

2002 C5 exclusive 16 hatchback. Just wanted to make sure I was right.
oneday
My Cars:

Post by oneday »

there are reports that if the suspension isnt pumped right up in can upset it somehow so best be on the safe side dont forget to put an axel stand under the car aswell
C5 2.0 HDI VTR 2003 ICELANDIC GREY
306 1.4 LX MERIDIAN
MaxPrimal

Post by MaxPrimal »

oneday wrote:there are reports that if the suspension isnt pumped right up in can upset it somehow so best be on the safe side dont forget to put an axel stand under the car aswell
Don't have an axel stand. Can only use a jack and nothing else sadly so it will have to do I guess...
Gibbo2286
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: 2006 C5 2.0 Litre HDI VTR Automatic Estate.(now sold on)
Currently Renault Zoe 2014 ZE

Post by Gibbo2286 »

The reason for raising the car to full height is for convenience not for anything to do with the myth that you might somehow cause damage, the procedure is: slacken the wheel nuts, raise the suspension to full height, put the jack under and raise it to the jacking point, set the suspension to low and the wheel will come clear of the ground without the need to wind the jack any further, change the wheel just nipping the wheel nuts up hand tight, raise the suspension to high, remove the jack, lower the suspension to normal, torque up the wheel nuts to the specified setting.

Remember to do all this on level ground with the handbrake firmly on or the wheels chocked
Man is, by nature, a lazy beast, he does not need twice encouraging to do nothing.
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

If it is a rear wheel you may find that if the usual brake calliper corrosion is present that the wheel won't fit.
In that case, remove a front wheel, put the spare on the front and the front wheel at the rear.

You will need to get the callipers seen to sooner rather than later if you do find they are out of line. They only get worse and you may end up replacing them rather than refurbishing them.

Had to replace mine on both C5s :(
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

If you put the suspension right up and put a log or similar under the jacking point then lower the suspension it will lift its leg up nicely for you.

Peter
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

or in the case of full blooded hydraulic citroens,

place just the opposite wheel up on a kerb, put suspension fully up this will lift the offending wheel off the ground, if it doesnt quite all you will need is an assistant to place a finger under the edge of the wing and the car will tilt the other way
Regards, malcolm.

current ride a BX 1.7 TZD estate
1986 MK1 BX 1.9na D Auto(in Mothman Andy's stable )
layed up roppy 1.9TD XANT estate, now gone to meet her maker
purple and lilac metalic 2CV(VIOLET)registered to her in doors
1972 DS special been layed up aprox 31 years