Xantia Drivers chair armrest removal

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

stevestix8
My Cars: Xantia SX H.d.i 2.0L (S reg, 98)

Xantia Drivers chair armrest removal

Post by stevestix8 »

Hi all,

Have been given a seat cover set for xmas. I need to do some modifying because the drivers chair armrest is in the way.

I have read 1 other post on this forum that tries to explain removal of the armrest:

"The Armrest can be removed by lifting the armrest upwards, from the back seat tilt it towards the passsenger side, put some pressure on it, or hit it a good thump while pulling backwards-and it will pop out. (only discovered this this morning)"

Has anyone else done this? It will be easier if I can just modify the seat cover with just a small hole instead of cutting a big hole in it to force the armrest through.

Steve
andy5
(Donor 2022)

Re: Xantia Drivers chair armrest removal

Post by andy5 »

I don't know, but also check whether your seat has a side airbag. If so you can't use a cover with the bag active.
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

The seat covers currently available have gaps on each side to allow the side airbags to deploy properly. This would probably allow the armrest to remain in situ. I have a set that Intend to fit in Gracie, and the two front covers have said gaps.
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
stevestix8

Post by stevestix8 »

HI,

Have checked the seats and I dont think the carseats will stop the airbag deploying?

Still can't get the drivers chair armrest off. Can't seem to find the designs to see how the mechanism works. Also I think years ago someone else had a go at it as the armrest does not feel smooth in the mechanism it feels as if somenone has bent it abit. Although the armrest works fine as it is, I do not want to force it and bend it more out of shape.

Can anyone explain the removal process?

Thanks,

Steve
Timmo
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: 58 partner teepee outdoor hdi.
58 C2 Code in black! Fun!

Post by Timmo »

You've got to give it a good push in a clockwise direction from upright back to 3 o'clock ish, there's a nylon roller that if you move the cloth down you can see where it needs to be to come out,
if your armrest is a bit floppy then wrap some electrical tape/gaffer tap around the spindle to make it snugger!
After All, I am the Cornish one!

'58 C2 Code
'58 partner teepee outdoor
stevestix8

Post by stevestix8 »

Hi all,

Thanks for responses. I sussed it today. You were right I had to rotate the armrest around to the 3 oclock position (so armrest was touching back seat).

Then I found a small (5mm) metal lever where the plastic housing for the armrest meets the drivers chair material. I pushed the little 'switch' and pulled the armrest straight out of the housing. Have fitted the new cover perfectly and plugged the armrest back in and you can't even see the hole.

Thanks for any help.

Steve