xud fuel line issue

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

xud fuel line issue

Post by 10k »

Hi,

I recently posted a request for assistance to get an XUD Xantia going after filling with petrol instead of diesel/veg oil. Thanks for the help with that. After cleaning out the fuel lines and changing the filter, getting the air out of injectors it finally started.

The problem with it at the moment is that its not starting well and I notice that it needs a lot of priming to get the fuel up before it will turn over. Needs pressure bulb primed every morning or after several hours spend idle between journeys.

I did disconnect all the fuel lines and access the fuel tank from inside that car whilst cleaning the petrol out of the lines. Although I have reconnected all the clips on the fuel line, perhaps there is a weak joint or crack in the pipework?

It normally holds fuel pressure and starts first time so why is it not keeping pressure?

cheers
oneday
My Cars:

Re: xud fuel line issue

Post by oneday »

sounds like an air leak allowing the fuel to go back to the tank the filter is a favorit place for this
C5 2.0 HDI VTR 2003 ICELANDIC GREY
306 1.4 LX MERIDIAN

Post by 10k »

oneday wrote:sounds like an air leak allowing the fuel to go back to the tank the filter is a favorit place for this
Thanks for thoughts. Is that the gauze filter in the tank or the fuel filter?
oneday
My Cars:

Post by oneday »

the fuel filter
C5 2.0 HDI VTR 2003 ICELANDIC GREY
306 1.4 LX MERIDIAN
Old-Guy
My Cars: 2011 Grand C4 Picasso VTR+ 1.6HDi in Kyanos Blue
1995 Xantia Estate SX 1.9TD in Vert Vega "The Green Lady" - now owned by XanTom
1998 Xantia 2.1 VXD Estate in Mauritius Blue - R.I.P. (terminal tin-worm)

Post by Old-Guy »

Don't forget that the XUD has no (separate) fuel lift pump, it's part of the injection pump, which sucks fuel all the way from the tank so that everything (including the injector leak-offs) on the 'low-pressure' side of the injector pump is under negative pressure. Air will find its way in where diesel won't leak out - even if you pressurise the LP side with the primer bulb. Air leaks are a common problem. Check that the the filter is properly seated with the filter casing top sitting down square all round on the seal and tighten the four bolts evenly and progressively in a diagonal sequence (e.g round and round 12 o'clock, 6, 3,9) - don't get too enthusiastic, it only needs to be air-tight it's not a real pressure seal.

If you undid the hose-clip on the filter top, make sure it's in exactly the same place on the hose. Over time, hose-clips permanently distort hose walls in an uneven shape and if the hose clip is put back so it doesn't fit its imprint then it can't tighten evenly.

If all else fails, change all the 'rubber' leak off pipes on the injectors; motor factors sell 'universal' leak off hose kits (you need the blanking pipe/plug for the last injector - you cut each hose as required from the length in the kit) much more cheaply than buying a set of Citroen pipes. It will need doing sooner or later anyway.
2011 Grand C4 Picasso VTR+ 1.6HDi in Kyanos Blue
1995 Xantia Estate SX 1.9TD in Vert Vega "The Green Lady" - after 11 years now owned by XanTom
1998 Xantia 2.1 VXD Estate in Mauritius Blue - R.I.P. (terminal tin-worm)