Xantia hesitation and smoking

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Romzi
My Cars: C5 break II, 2.0 HDI

Xantia hesitation and smoking

Post by Romzi »

Hi there,

About 2 months ago i bought Xantia 2.0 HDI Activa (80kW, RHZ engine) - more or less is running fine...but :mrgreen:
Occasionally the car doenst go as it should: first a little bit of hestitation then black smoke and everything feels OK.
Problem is not so noticable when cold, today was VERY annoying (we had about 10 degrees celsius).
On saturday Lexia showed some faults (1st pic), then i cleared all of them and done some driving yesterday. Today Lexia again showed fault: Permanent failure: EGR Electrovalve control lower limit (2nd pic). What does it mean? Is it faulty EGR Solenoid or maybe dirty EGR valve (stuck open or something)? Or both? :lol: I've done some tests - removed vacuum pipe from vacuum source to EGR Solenoid and blocked it. Hesisation and smoking seems to have gone but i'm still wondering ....
Tnx in advance, sorry for rusty English and merry Christmas
br
Roman

falling-out-with-my-car
My Cars: Citroen C5 Aircross 8 speed Automatic, Flair Model with far to many toys and nice comfy armchair like leather seats. ha ha Ive just had a conversation with the car. setting everything up verbally

Re: Xantia hesitation and smoking

Post by falling-out-with-my-car »

I see yours is an HDi X2 unlike mine. but
I had smoking on my X2 xantia the timming had been altered by the No3 injector lift sensor wiring chaffing against the engine block, it was hard to see tucked away and it was earthing out giving the wrong signal to the ecu altering the timming. (is yours overheating? have you checked the water levels?)
reinsulating the lead from the no3 injector and tiying it up to the hoist bracket at the front of the engine (Cam belt end)
seemed to sort it out, I also had a bad batch of wvo and I think this was effecting the lift sensor to.
I repeatedly idled the engoine after drainning all of the veg oil from the tank and filling up with Diesel and the problem went away for good. I don't have a lexia or any electronic test kit unfortunately. the timming issue and black smoke hasnt returned again as yet. when was the last time you used some injector cleaner? maybe the spray pattern is effecting running in the cold? maybe a bad batch of diesel with water present? Exaust Gas re-burn's are known to sap performance and get gummed up when runnming veg oil but I would assume that it is pretty common knowledge that we shouldnt run veg oil in an HDi engine. check and clean all wiring connections with switch cleaner and try again, maybe you have some corrosion under the main ECU plug shorting out the pins with the verty wet damp weather we have been having of late?
maybe the previous owner put veg oil in it and caused the problem? I note youy say the smoking has stopped and I gather you are using pump diesel maybe the injectors were a little mucky when you bought it from running very short distances?
give it an Italian Tune up and see what happens.

regards Nigel.
Citroen Xantia S2 1.9 TD estate 189K soon to be broken for parts Jan 2017 headlamps & radiator fan assembly already spoken for & A 1987 Citroen 2CV6 special just for fun.
New addition Citroen C5 2.0 HDi Exclusive Hatch purchased 09/12/2016 with 83K on the clock.
Romzi

Post by Romzi »

I guess the right answer is still EGR Solenoid. It is still disconnected (pipe, not electrically) and there is still no smoking and having VERY good performance.
I will also try to switch EGR and Turbo solenoid just for testing purpose and just to confirm that EGR solenoid id faulty. I hear this is quite common fault on 2.0 HDI with 80kw.
Romzi

Post by Romzi »

Update: last weekend car lost almost all power and torque :roll:
Lexia now said it is faulty MAF. It was some no-name Chinese cheap-s**t. Today I installed new one (original part, not copy) and ..... It's alive!
Also EGR connected back and all problems went away. Wheeee :mrgreen: