C5 (2003, 2.0 8v 110 HDI) Questions

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Northern_Mike

C5 (2003, 2.0 8v 110 HDI) Questions

Post by Northern_Mike »

Couple of questions..

1. Seems a bit sluggish when off boost - definitely more lag than Rattiva the Xantia had. Need a second or so before the boost comes in. Normal, or something not right?
2. Seems a little slower than Rattiva on in-gear acceleration. Does this warrant investigation, or is it normal? The car, according to Parkers, is actually lighter than the Xantia Exclusive.

3. Anyone got one they're taking to bits? I'll buy your tailgate struts off you if so, as long as they are working..

I'll whizz a new diesel filter in it tomorrow anyway as I have one on the shelf, I got 47mpg out of it in my rough way of working it out - 160 miles off 15 litres before the light came on. It had just come on when I put 15 litres in. Brimmed it today in anticipation of doing about 700 miles over the next 3 days, so we'll see how it goes.

Merry Xmas to you all
oneday
My Cars:

Re: C5 (2003, 2.0 8v 110 HDI) Questions

Post by oneday »

mine is sluggish off boost aswell i think they are higher geared aswell so will be slower through the gears. just repaired my computer and it say over the last 3000 miles its averaged 38.3 mpg most of that mileage was done going to and from work twice a day 8 miles each way . 30 mph most of the way traffic lights and so on so not to bad
C5 2.0 HDI VTR 2003 ICELANDIC GREY
306 1.4 LX MERIDIAN
stu9

Post by stu9 »

Me too....hence I'm getting it mapped which will hopefully help
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

The performance won't set the road alight but I find it adequate, it depends how you want to drive, I have a very laid back style rarely exceeding 60 mph or 2000 rpm but I can get 60+ mpg driving like that. My 406 with the same engine but higher gearing feels even less lively unless you push the revs but will do 65 mpg+.

My 2.2 Hdi with a chip would pin you to the seat but only did about 40 mpg, if you want performance it's for sale 8-)

Peter
Northern_Mike

Post by Northern_Mike »

Well, I put 60 litres in it not long after the fuel light came on. I did 641 miles before it came on again, that, at a very rough estimate, is 48ish mpg, which isn't too shabby considering I wasn't hanging about at all for the first 210 miles of that. Another 200 miles of it was town driving and country road pottering up north in adverse weather conditions over the last few days, and the last 230 was the trip home from Nelson this afternoon which was all below 70 as the weather was disgusting. I suspect I would have got another 50-80 miles out the tankful had I been more sensible on the upward journey. I think I'll stick a tuning box on it anyway as it's dead off boost, and still slower than the Xantia HDi even though it's lighter.
oneday
My Cars:

Post by oneday »

but witch tuning box will you chose as they all claim to do different things
306 1.4 LX MERIDIAN
Northern_Mike

Post by Northern_Mike »

oneday wrote:but witch tuning box will you chose as they all claim to do different things
I'll get one from TDI-Tuning.co.uk, costs about £150. I've had them for other PSA diesels off them and they do exactly what they say.
oneday
My Cars:

Post by oneday »

mike can you let us know what difference it makes ive been looking at tuning boxes for a while now but not sure what to get as ive never used one before
306 1.4 LX MERIDIAN
Citroenmad
My Cars: 07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
07 Citroen C5 HDi VTR - Red
09 Citroen C3 1.4i VTR - Silver
01 Citroen Saxo 1.1i Forte - Mango Orange
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10

Post by Citroenmad »

It shouldn't be dead off boost and it shouldn't really be any different to a Xantia HDi in the performance stakes.

Check that the maf is a genuine Citroen one and give the elements a cleaning with contact cleaner or some kind of carb cleaner. I can't remember if I suggested this to you before, in which case you might have tried that. It's made a difference on every 2.0 8v I've had. Or first c5 estate was as flat as a fart, it couldn't hope to keep up with the hatchback 110. Never did find out why that was, replaced the maf, there were no intake air leaks, turbo worked fine, injectors were fine. It did get slightly better with a lot of thrashing - needed to sustain my usual pace.

You do seem to get slightly livelier and slightly less so versions. It might have been your Xantia was a particularly good one and had been driven quickly for most of its life.

Have you blocked off the EGR? It's made a good difference on the above mentioned slow estate we had. Our current 110 has had it's off since I bought the car 4 years ago. Experience from the estate tells me it releases more low down power.

Worth a try fiddling around anyway.

Struts, this is something I need to look into as our SX is getting a weak boot lid too. I assumed you could just buy some struts from eBay or similar, so long as the ball is the same size and they are the right length. I'm yet to look, however.
Chris
07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
07 Citroen C5 HDi VTR - Red
09 Citroen C3 1.4i VTR - Silver
01 Citroen Saxo 1.1i Forte - Mango Orange
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10
Northern_Mike

Post by Northern_Mike »

Citroenmad wrote:It shouldn't be dead off boost and it shouldn't really be any different to a Xantia HDi in the performance stakes.

Check that the maf is a genuine Citroen one and give the elements a cleaning with contact cleaner or some kind of carb cleaner. I can't remember if I suggested this to you before, in which case you might have tried that. It's made a difference on every 2.0 8v I've had. Or first c5 estate was as flat as a fart, it couldn't hope to keep up with the hatchback 110. Never did find out why that was, replaced the maf, there were no intake air leaks, turbo worked fine, injectors were fine. It did get slightly better with a lot of thrashing - needed to sustain my usual pace.

You do seem to get slightly livelier and slightly less so versions. It might have been your Xantia was a particularly good one and had been driven quickly for most of its life.

Have you blocked off the EGR? It's made a good difference on the above mentioned slow estate we had. Our current 110 has had it's off since I bought the car 4 years ago. Experience from the estate tells me it releases more low down power.

Worth a try fiddling around anyway.

Struts, this is something I need to look into as our SX is getting a weak boot lid too. I assumed you could just buy some struts from eBay or similar, so long as the ball is the same size and they are the right length. I'm yet to look, however.
MAF - I shall do this over the next few days. I need to look into this EGR blocking thing, it's not something I've done before..

Boot struts - there's a place called http://www.tailgatestruts.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; which seem to have them for £13 each. I might give them a go...

The car doesn't seem to "go" as well as it should. It still reaches it's claimed top speed eventually. I reckon the throttle cable might be out of adjustment. Now I've a few days off at last, I shall get everything done that I need to on both the C5 and the Berlingo (apart from the brakes!)
oneday
My Cars:

Post by oneday »

removing the slack from the throttle cable makes a vast differace to the c5 ive done mine and 2 other peoples now and all of us noted the more responsive throttle but still down on off boost power i might try a new maf. i have cleaned this one and it is better but not what i woul call correct.
306 1.4 LX MERIDIAN