Changing the ECU on C5 2.2 2001 is it a straight swap

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

horsedentist

Changing the ECU on C5 2.2 2001 is it a straight swap

Post by horsedentist »

I am still trying to sort my 2.2 C5 auto estate which is doing my head in I have spent so much time on it and got so near to having it sorted. Now I have a dead 2.2 2001 manual here that I am going to scrap (broken cam belt), I am considering swapping the main ecu's over can you just swap a manual ecu onto an auto I assume that there is no programming involved on the injection ecu as being the same engine it will recognise all the tits and bits without any prompting. Has any one tried it? Any hints or tips and words of wisdom gratefully received.
cachaciero
My Cars:

Re: Changing the ECU on C5 2.2 2001 is it a straight swap

Post by cachaciero »

No 1 Mileage, can't remember if this is stored in the injection ECU or BSI and the Panel, the changing an ECU the system will take the highest mileage. Pretty sure it's the BSI.
The ECU programme is different Manual to Automatic, the Automatic version exchanges data with the gearbox ECU and I am pretty sure that the reference numbers are different. Engine security codes, seem to remember that these are stored in two places, injection ECU and BSI? and have to match and they can't be reprogrammed so you would have to change both ECU's.
Really I see a world of pain so unless you have to would suggest that you stick with the one that's in the car.

cachaciero
2006 Toyota Prius T Spirit
2001 2.2 C5 Exclusive SE
1996 XM 2.1 TD Auto VSX
1995 XM 2.1 TD Auto SX died @ 140K
1987 CX 2.5 Gti Turbo II dead
1984 Ford Scorpio
1981 CX 2.4 Pallas Auto
Renault 21
1220 GS Club
Rover P6 2000TC
horsedentist

Post by horsedentist »

Cheers for that will stick with this one for now then. It was just going to be an exercise to see if it solved any of the little niggles I have but seems it may make things worse lol.
wheeler
My Cars:

Post by wheeler »

Mileage is stored in the BSI + instrument panel. The ECU is coded to the BSI & it can't be recoded with Lexia, you would need to swap the BSI as well & also use a transponder chip from the other car.
horsedentist

Post by horsedentist »

Why do they have to make things so damn complicated? The main ECU on my 4X4 died (Ford Explorer) just took one out of another Explorer plugged it in turned the key and away she went ran as sweet as a nut. They have about 5 different ECU'S as well but the engine one is not coded to any of them.