C5 Problems..

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

C5-VTR
Locked user account

C5 Problems..

Post by C5-VTR »

Hi All,

Had my C5 for 19 months now and put 30k on it with no major issues but like most it's has a few niggles:

Wipers are dragging up the windscreen and jundering, replaced them with new ones which helped but only lasted a few days
Does not idle right - Once its warmed up it jumps up and down the rev range - Only around 100rpm.
Climate control doesn't seem to get hot unless it's set to 28 but its cold if set to 27.
Front window's don't go up one touch most of the time - Had the doorcards off and cleaned/lubed the runners (helped a bit, more then llikely needs new motors I guess)
Rear washer jet works sometimes, however when you use the front washers after using the rear most of the spray comes out the rear.

Other then that it's been spot on.. Only had the coil pack fail and heater resistor which where both cheap fixes.

Would be nice to get the little problems fixed rather then selling to buy something else.

Thanks.
Last edited by C5-VTR on 22 Sep 2017, 20:06, edited 1 time in total.
thefrenchconnection
My Cars:

Re: C5 Problems..

Post by thefrenchconnection »

my wipers were crap on mine i replaced them with a set of bosch blades and there fine.

marc
2001 c5 2.0hdi sx
C5-VTR
Locked user account

Post by C5-VTR »

Mines got the flat blades as standard being a 2004, replaced with Citroen blades which I think are Valeo. Cleaned the windscreen with all sorts of stuff with no improvement.
reblack68
My Cars:

Post by reblack68 »

The cure for the washer issue is to fit a new pump, they are cheap and fairly easy to fit.

I had similar problems with the electric windows on my 2001 C5, I fitted another switch unit and they work fine now.
Richard

No French cars of my own at present.
Care of a 1994 205 D.
Gibbo2286
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: 2006 C5 2.0 Litre HDI VTR Automatic Estate.(now sold on)
Currently Renault Zoe 2014 ZE

Post by Gibbo2286 »

If your wipers judder check the angle of contact with the screen, make sure they're at right angles to the glass when halfway through the travel, if not put a twist in the arm to make them so.
Man is, by nature, a lazy beast, he does not need twice encouraging to do nothing.
horsedentist

Post by horsedentist »

reblack68 wrote:
I had similar problems with the electric windows on my 2001 C5, I fitted another switch unit and they work fine now.
Same here changed the main switch in drivers door took all of ten minutes works great now.

Heater problem is probably a temperature sensor I had the same problem as the temp sensor in the passenger mirror was knackered replaced it and heater works much better now but still showing temp sensor fault on AC in lexia but I haven't a clue where to look for the climate control temp[ sensor any one with a picture of location please post it.
C5-VTR
Locked user account

Post by C5-VTR »

Would this pump fit? http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TWIN-OUTLET-W ... 2c5d873797" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The driver side window switches don't always work correctly.. the one touch on the passenger side doens't work going up but it works going down.

I will have a look at the wipers and see if I can twist them a little to sit better.

Any idea's regarding the idle issue? It's a 1.8 16v.

Thanks.
SaabC5
My Cars: 09 C5 X7 2.0Hdi Exclusive

Post by SaabC5 »

Re the idle, several things spring to mind, dirty throttle body, air leak, idle control valve or faulty MAF sensor. Start with cleaning the throttle body and then check the pipework for leaks/splits before going onto valve or MAF. A diagnostic on the Lexia might be useful to pinpoint the fault.
09 C5 X7 2.0Hdi Exclusive in Perla Nera black (the best colour) :wink:
reblack68
My Cars:

Post by reblack68 »

C5-VTR wrote:Would this pump fit? http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TWIN-OUTLET-W ... 2c5d873797" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The driver side window switches don't always work correctly.. the one touch on the passenger side doens't work going up but it works going down.

I will have a look at the wipers and see if I can twist them a little to sit better.

Any idea's regarding the idle issue? It's a 1.8 16v.

Thanks.
That pump looks the part, I have a single outlet version in front of me right now and the layout is the same. Sometimes on aftermarket pumps the hoses aren't a very tight fit- they don't leak or anything, they just don't feel very secure. If this is the case a small cable tie will be enough to make sure it doesn't go anywhere.
Richard

Care of a 1994 205 D.
C5-VTR
Locked user account

Post by C5-VTR »

I will get one of them ordered after christmas, to fit I guess its a front bumper off jobby, any tips?

Regarding the idle I have cleaned the throttle body, pipe work all looks ok, as far as I know this engine doesn't have a MAF. Where is the idle control valve fitted if it has one? It's a 6FZ.

Thanks.
Northern_Mike

Post by Northern_Mike »

C5-VTR wrote:I will get one of them ordered after christmas, to fit I guess its a front bumper off jobby, any tips?

Regarding the idle I have cleaned the throttle body, pipe work all looks ok, as far as I know this engine doesn't have a MAF.
It does have a MAF. All fuel injected engines, as far as I'm aware do..
C5-VTR
Locked user account

Post by C5-VTR »

Euro car parts dont list a MAF but they do list a MAP one?
wheeler
My Cars:

Post by wheeler »

Rattiva_Mike wrote:
I can't off hand think of any modern PSA petrol engines with a MAF sensor.
Northern_Mike

Post by Northern_Mike »

wheeler wrote:
Rattiva_Mike wrote:
I can't off hand think of any modern PSA petrol engines with a MAF sensor.
I stand corrected! When did they make the jump from MAF to MAP then? I remember messing with MX5 and Saab MAFs in the past..
reblack68
My Cars:

Post by reblack68 »

C5-VTR wrote:I will get one of them ordered after christmas, to fit I guess its a front bumper off jobby, any tips?
As far as I recall you just need to release one side of the bumper. As soon as you pull the old pump out the bottle will drain, so be ready with a thumb if you don't want that to happen. When pushing the new pump in take care not to push the grommet right through into the tank. I don't think there's a huge risk of that happening but I've done it on a Renault before, not the end of the world but a real pain to retrieve. Other than that it's dead easy.
Richard

Care of a 1994 205 D.