Xantia rear hatch window seal

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

wurlycorner
My Cars: Two C5's...
Lots of CXs...
A couple of Xantia...
A C2...
Lots of Prelude's...
And a Sunny!

Xantia rear hatch window seal

Post by wurlycorner »

Hi all,

This has curled in one place on mine, on the bottom edge (near a corner, but just in from the corner). I mean the seal on the outside, around the edge of the glass, rather than the seal round the lip of the boot opening...

Wondering if this is a common problem?

Can the seal be replaced? Expensive? DIY job, or a visit to a glass fitter?

Cheers,
--
Iain

1x '85 CX GTi Turbo s1 (metallic blue)
2x '85 CX GTi Turbo s2 t1 (metallic silver & grey)
'88 CX GTi Turbo s2 T2 (metallic light blue)
CX DTR T2 Safari (silver)
2x '96 Xantia Activa (Black & metallic green)
'01 C5 2.0 HDi LX Estate (Blue)
Bannedbiker
My Cars: 2003 Peugeot 307 1.6S
1997 Eunos Roadster

Re: Xantia rear hatch window seal

Post by Bannedbiker »

I think it's a common fault.
My Xantia hatch seal is the same, only on the left side, but as soon as the temperature drops to zero or below it curls up.
I think the window would have to be removed to replaced the seal, so I left mine as it doesn't leak.
Hope this helps.

Martin.
2003 Peugeot 307, 1.6 petrol.
Previously owned 1999 Citroen Xantia 1.9 td and a 1997 Citroen ZX 1.9
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

It is indeed a common problem Iain....

Most of mine have done it but only when the brass monkeys are shivering...

Mind you, Xantias and XMs do a lot of funny things in the very cold. Activa rams start weeping for instance :roll:
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
wurlycorner
My Cars: Two C5's...
Lots of CXs...
A couple of Xantia...
A C2...
Lots of Prelude's...
And a Sunny!

Post by wurlycorner »

CitroJim wrote: Activa rams start weeping for instance :roll:
Yep, mine are doing that today, when they don't normally.. :x

Ok thanks for the answers guys, glad to know it's normal and it should straighten up again when it warms up - haven't noticed it in previous years.

I do get some water inside the tailgate (when I open it after it's rained, I get a bit of water run out of the drain hole at the bottom passenger side of the tailgate). I've put this down to the crack in the tail light mounted in the tailgate on that side until now, but had started wondering after seeing this today... (seal problem is opposite side of the bootlid)
--
Iain

1x '85 CX GTi Turbo s1 (metallic blue)
2x '85 CX GTi Turbo s2 t1 (metallic silver & grey)
'88 CX GTi Turbo s2 T2 (metallic light blue)
CX DTR T2 Safari (silver)
2x '96 Xantia Activa (Black & metallic green)
'01 C5 2.0 HDi LX Estate (Blue)
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

On a hatch Iain, the tailgate is deliberately leaky (for want of a better phrase) and it's entirely normal for water to pour out of the drain holes after a good storm of rain. The water won't be getting in around the wrinkly seal as the rear window is bonded in... Even if it did it wouldn't matter...

It's a good idea though to check the drain holes are all clear, especially the side ones at the edges of the change in angle from the flat top to the bit that holds the number plate if you see what I mean. Moss has a habit of growing on them and blocking them. Thse drain the channel directly below the window and catches any water that gets in through the wiper hole...

Wet boots are more likely to be caused by water leaking past the tail light lenses on the bodyshell - not those on the tailgate. Behind them is a soft rubber seal and it helps to pop the light units out, clean up and grease the seals with silicone or some other grease that won't attack the rubber...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Mandrake
My Cars:

Post by Mandrake »

Mine started doing this when the temperature dropped below zero too:
image.jpg
The rubber seems to have gone very soft and stretchy and won't hold its shape, presumably due to perishing with age.

I'm relieved to read that there is an additional seal between the glass and door preventing an internal leak, I was worrying about whether I needed to do something about it in case of heavy rain...
Simon

1997 Xantia S1 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive in Silex Grey
2016 Nissan Leaf Tekna 30kWh in White

2011 Peugeot Ion Full Electric in Silver
1977 G Special 1129cc LHD
1978 CX 2400
1997 Xantia S1 2.0i Auto VSX
1998 Xantia S2 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive
citroenxm
My Cars: M reg Xm S2 2.1td Auto Exclusive. 269k and rising
L reg XM S1 V6 12v Manual SEi
L 94 XM 2.1 TD auto total resto

2008 Peugeot 207 Sw 1.6 16v hdi. 217k and rising
2010 Peugeot 207 SW 1.6 8v HDi 161k and rising

Post by citroenxm »

Just to help back up.. the seal is not actually a seal but more a "style" addition to help the looks...

as the window is bonded in, this creates the rear seal - so other then looks the outer trim does little else..

Ive many with this "Trim" looking tattly too...
Sharing a pug 207 1.6 hdi Sw 16v.
M reg Xm 2.1 td auto exclusive S2 269k and rising
L reg XM V6 12v SEi auto .. Light project

A very sad...
1994 XM 2.1 d auto
MTND
My Cars: Xantia 1.9td sx early N reg 1995. owned 17 years!
Alfa Romeo 916 Spider 2005.
Ford Focus Titanium X 2017, Nearly done 300 miles

Post by MTND »

citroenxm wrote:Just to help back up.. the seal is not actually a seal but more a "style" addition to help the looks...

as the window is bonded in, this creates the rear seal - so other then looks the outer trim does little else..

Ive many with this "Trim" looking tattly too...
Mine does this as well and you're right it looks tatty.

Is it possible to get a new "trim"? and how easy would it be able fit it without removing the window?

Cheers

Mark
1995 Xantia 1.9 TD SX owned 17 years
Alfa Romeo 916 GTV Spider 2005
Ford Focus Titanium X 2017
citroenxm
My Cars: M reg Xm S2 2.1td Auto Exclusive. 269k and rising
L reg XM S1 V6 12v Manual SEi
L 94 XM 2.1 TD auto total resto

2008 Peugeot 207 Sw 1.6 16v hdi. 217k and rising
2010 Peugeot 207 SW 1.6 8v HDi 161k and rising

Post by citroenxm »

My answer to that mark is pass.. i think the car that's ready to go has a good trim on the boot.. i just cant be bothered removing the boot lid as aside ive no room at the inn for it either..
Sharing a pug 207 1.6 hdi Sw 16v.
M reg Xm 2.1 td auto exclusive S2 269k and rising
L reg XM V6 12v SEi auto .. Light project

A very sad...
1994 XM 2.1 d auto
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

I tried extracting the trim on an otherwise scrap tailgate once.

In a word or two, bloody impossible. It's bonded in so tightly and well. Something to be lived with I'm sorry to say :(
Jim

Xantidote
My Cars:

Post by Xantidote »

CitroJim wrote:It's bonded in so tightly and well.
In a way that's good news, as I'd then expect it to be good and watertight :)

To my mind, I'd rather the seal was doing it's job as a watertight seal, than to look pretty and leak.

Presumably the fact that the rubber distorts in colder weather is a sign of the rubber slowly deteriorating with age/UV. Thought rubber went harder with age.
Martin

1995 Xantia TDLX (deceased :( )
Mandrake
My Cars:

Post by Mandrake »

Xantidote wrote: Presumably the fact that the rubber distorts in colder weather is a sign of the rubber slowly deteriorating with age/UV. Thought rubber went harder with age.
That's what I thought too, but not only does it seem to be very soft in the cold, it seems to expand in length as well, thus forcing itself away from the glass. Makes no sense to me... :roll:
Simon

1997 Xantia S1 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive in Silex Grey
2016 Nissan Leaf Tekna 30kWh in White

2011 Peugeot Ion Full Electric in Silver
1977 G Special 1129cc LHD
1978 CX 2400
1997 Xantia S1 2.0i Auto VSX
1998 Xantia S2 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive
Old-Guy
My Cars: 2011 Grand C4 Picasso VTR+ 1.6HDi in Kyanos Blue
1995 Xantia Estate SX 1.9TD in Vert Vega "The Green Lady" - now owned by XanTom
1998 Xantia 2.1 VXD Estate in Mauritius Blue - R.I.P. (terminal tin-worm)

Post by Old-Guy »

Mandrake wrote:
Xantidote wrote: Presumably the fact that the rubber distorts in colder weather is a sign of the rubber slowly deteriorating with age/UV. Thought rubber went harder with age.
That's what I thought too, but not only does it seem to be very soft in the cold, it seems to expand in length as well, thus forcing itself away from the glass. Makes no sense to me... :roll:
I have exactly the same puzzling problem with my estate. It all started when I had to replace the tailgate a couple of years ago - with one off a scrapper of similar age. The rubber on the old one was perfect (as was the HRW element), but I couldn't work out how to remove it intact. The rubber on the replacement looked well perished from the start and the first frosty morning it had bulged up around the wiper spindle.

This winter it's got much worse, it's come right away on the top N/S corner. One problem has been that with snow, water gets trapped under the rubber and then freezes probably making matters worse. The only explanation that I can come up with (but it's not very good) is that the perished rubber absorbs water, which then freezes expands and makes it more porous so compounding the problem. There's frost on the car in the small hours that's gone by daylight more often than you think. The rubber doesn't go back into shape because it's hard with age and low(ish) temperature.
In summer, the warmer weather makes the rubber just flexible enough to eventually more or less shrink back into shape.

As I've recently become quite a dab hand with silicone sealer (bath-room, kitchen), thanks to a kit of silicone smoothing tools made from (I think) PTFE or PTFE-filled nylon that our local DIY/hardware shop sells for the bargain price of £2.49. The absolute dog's whatsits. Identical to ones on the 'bay for £15 or more... :shock:
2011 Grand C4 Picasso VTR+ 1.6HDi in Kyanos Blue
1995 Xantia Estate SX 1.9TD in Vert Vega "The Green Lady" - after 11 years now owned by XanTom
1998 Xantia 2.1 VXD Estate in Mauritius Blue - R.I.P. (terminal tin-worm)