Help understanding ZX Rear Axle

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

bradfordlad

Help understanding ZX Rear Axle

Post by bradfordlad »

Hi everyone i have some questions relating to my MK1 ZX Diesel Volcane NON ABS Disk Braked rear axle-beam :lol:
If you can help with any of them please post a reply any hints or tips then make sure you leave a reply :-D

Apart from a squeak when i get into the car (coming from the axle area) theres no sign of any problems with the said item.The thing is i dont understand the mechanics of the axle and want to know if i can prolong its life with servicing ?

Are there any parts i can service on the axle as part of a routine and how ?
I have checked the net for exploded view of the axle/beam but i can't find one can you help ?
As i'm keeping the car long term what would you advise when looking for a spare axle as i do have storage space to keep one ?

Thanks for now and i'm sure they'll be more questions than answers =D>

Paul

My Car : http://i479.photobucket.com/albums/rr15 ... 8e3016.jpg
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

Hello Paul, this is basically what you need:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/360513826246" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The stub shafts are pressed into your trailing arms. You don't need to remove the whole beam; many people remove one side at a time, repair, then refit and do the other. To do it this way, means you may be able to avoid bleeding the brakes if you have discs on the rear. A press is required for renewal of the stub shafts.

You can get the bearings cheaper if you shop around, and very cheap pattern parts for the shafts are sold in Europe. It's often considered a clever mod to drill/tap for a grease fitting on the beam housing, so you can pump the void full of grease and make your bearings go a bit longer next time.
citronut
My Cars:

Re: Help understanding ZX Rear Axle

Post by citronut »

hi and welcome

its quite often cheaper/quicker to get a second hand rear axle and just swap it over, this certainly seems to be the route most people go in the UK,

were are you lacated
Regards, malcolm.

current ride a BX 1.7 TZD estate
1986 MK1 BX 1.9na D Auto(in Mothman Andy's stable )
layed up roppy 1.9TD XANT estate, now gone to meet her maker
purple and lilac metalic 2CV(VIOLET)registered to her in doors
1972 DS special been layed up aprox 31 years
bradfordlad

Post by bradfordlad »

Thanks for the replies guys i'm in West Yorkshire....
JohnD
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: 2010 Citroen C5-X7 tourer
1998 Citroen Saxo 1.5D
2018 Citroen C4-B7
1998 Peugeot 306. 1.9D
2011 Citroen C1

Post by JohnD »

bradfordlad wrote:
Are there any parts i can service on the axle as part of a routine and how ?
Six months ago I had the same problem wth my daughter's Xsara - which has the same rear beam as your ZX. A year earlier I'd drilled and fitted grease nipples as Addo suggests but by the time I did it, the bearings were already badly worn. I looked at a couple of axles at the breakers but they were as bad as my own. I finally went to Mountjoy in Devon and got a rebuilt one. Fitting price is the same as the carriage charge so I drove the car to them and they fitted a recon beam in about three hours. So it cost me £350 +VAT. http://www.sspengineering.co.uk/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; As she intends to keep the car for the foreseeable future, she was happy with the bill.
2010 C5 X7 VTR+Nav 160
1998 1.5 Saxo
1998 Pug 306 1.9D
2018 C4 B7 VTR+
2011 Citroen C1
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

From the serious 205 abusers, it seems part of the original issue is the roller bearings' roller sizes. That means you'll never get stellar life out of an unrebuilt one, greased or dry.

I reckon (personally) that a lighter grease than wheel bearing grease is good practice; there are ones made for motorbike swing arms which are waterproof yet still creep well and don't break down under pressure.
bradfordlad

Post by bradfordlad »

Guys thanks for the replys so far........Back to my original post Does anyone of you have a microfiche of the rear axle or an exploded view ?

John and Addo how do you do the mod for the grease nipple ?

Thanks for now Paul
JohnD
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: 2010 Citroen C5-X7 tourer
1998 Citroen Saxo 1.5D
2018 Citroen C4-B7
1998 Peugeot 306. 1.9D
2011 Citroen C1

Post by JohnD »

bradfordlad wrote:how do you do the mod for the grease nipple ?

l

Unfortunately the diagrams I used are all on my home computer. At the moment I'm using a laptop in Spain. This google diagram may help. It's a Saxo beam but similar to yours. http://www.google.co.uk/imgres?q=Citroe ... :100,i:238" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
For fitting grease nipples. It's easiest to put them on the underside of the axle tube. Estimate a spot between the two bearings. As I said, I don't have measurements to hand. Drill, then tap to suit the thread of the nipple. Mine were 6mm. To avoid swarf entering the tube, keep the drill bit and tap well greased.
2010 C5 X7 VTR+Nav 160
1998 1.5 Saxo
1998 Pug 306 1.9D
2018 C4 B7 VTR+
2011 Citroen C1