Xsara fuel pump noise

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

3ps

Xsara fuel pump noise

Post by 3ps »

Hi,

When I turn on the ignition I hear a noise from the rear of the car. I'm assuming it's the fuel pump.
It sounds like a little bump of something engaging, and them a deep humming, for a few seconds.

What I need to know is, should I replace now in order to avoid being stranded at some point, or is this noise normal enough and I can go on for quite some time?

1.4 96k miles.

Thanks.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Re: Xsara fuel pump noise

Post by CitroJim »

Yes, that's right it's the fuel pump starting up and priming. I'm assuming this is a petrol car and therefore the noises you hear are quite normal. The pumps in petrol cars are generally reliable and sometimes you can hear quite a 'swoosh' sound when they start.

HDi diesels have tank mounted pump too and they make similar sounds.

A very noisy diesel one or one that makes odd noises is likely to be failing so do have a replacement on hand and consider replacing promptly as these can disintegrate, fill the fuel system with debris that can get past the filter and damage the HP pump and injectors.

No such risk on a petrol one as far as I know.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
3ps

Post by 3ps »

Hi,

I need a bit more clarification on this. It really is quite noisy, but only when i start the car cold. It is a low deep vibrating noise for about 2 seconds. If I have the radio on I can still hear it.

I will be loaning the car to somebody for a month and don't want it conking out!

I know in some cars you hear a background whirring, but this sounds loud.

Just wondering if it is normal and will work on or if I should swap out in anticipation of a failure.....?

Thanks.
(Donor 2017)
My Cars: Citroen C5 2.0 Hdi 2003

Post by 411514 »

Does sound strange. As Jim has said the intank pump should make a humming noise for circa 3 seconds.
However from the drivers seat this should only just be audible really, not so loud that you could hear it over the radio.
I have had a couple of the 1.4 xsara's and never encountered such a noisy pump. It shouldn't really be a vibrating noise, just simply the deep hum of any electric motor under load. If by vibrating noise you mean knocking noise then it is probably worth checking it's mounting to the tank and even remove to see if there is any obvious item interfering with its moving parts. Worst case scenario; new, genuine pumps are relatively cheap and common on ebay and not hard to fit,
Sam
Sam

2003 C5 2.0HDI 110
3ps

Post by 3ps »

It's not a knocking noise, more of a very fast buzz!

I think I would feel better doing some preventative maintenance.

Can you point me to anything reasonably priced? Anything I'm finding is ~150, but perhaps that is reasonable?

It's a 2001 Xsara 1.4 petrol.
wheeler
My Cars:

Post by wheeler »

As already said they do make a priming noise normally but without hearing the noise it's hard to say if it's just the normal noise they make or there is something wrong. I know the very first Xantia HDi's the fuel filter housing used to cause an unusually loud droning noise on priming, I have changed quite a few filter housings for this fault. Obviously this is a far cheaper option than going straight for the pump & regardless if it cures the noise or not its not a bad thing to do anyway.
3ps

Post by 3ps »

Droning is a good description of what I'm hearing. Not sure if the fault you found applies to 1.4 petrol's though.....
wheeler
My Cars:

Post by wheeler »

3ps wrote:Droning is a good description of what I'm hearing. Not sure if the fault you found applies to 1.4 petrol's though.....
sorry, thought it was hdi.
(Donor 2017)
My Cars: Citroen C5 2.0 Hdi 2003

Post by 411514 »

Might be prudent to change the fuel filter as matter fo course, a blocked filter might be overloading the pump.
Filter is disposable canister just ahead of the OSR wheel arch,
Sam
Sam

2003 C5 2.0HDI 110
3ps

Post by 3ps »

Hi,

Noise is still there. I think I will replace it for peace of mind/preventative maintenance as the car is very good overall.

The fuel gauge is also a bit erratic and I think it is combined with the pump so that would be good to have fixed too.

I replaced a fuel sender before in a 205. It was easy.

I assume for the Xsara 1.4, I just lift the seat base and undo some bolts?
What I am not sure of is the procedure for removing any fuel pipes Is there a knack to it? Do I need to do anything to stop air getting into the line?

Thanks.
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

They should be the squeeze type quick connects on send and return. I clean the lock ring meticulously and also the tank threads, then grease the lock ring threads lightly with a Teflon or similar enriched grease to allow full retensioning of the lock ring.
Xsarahdi

Post by Xsarahdi »

My Xsara (Hdi though) makes quite an audible buzz/hum/drone noise from the fuel pump when priming for 2-3 seconds too. It has done so since we got the car in 2007 and it hasn't got any worse. So I wouldn't be too concerned over the noise
2005 C3 1.6 HDi 110 VTR
2003 Xsara 2.0 HDi 110 SX
1999 306 1.9 TD Meridian
1996 ZX 1.9 D Elation
wheeler
My Cars:

Post by wheeler »

3ps wrote:The fuel gauge is also a bit erratic and I think it is combined with the pump so that would be good to have fixed too.
Don't get your hopes up about this also fixing your fuel gauge problem, xsaras have notoriously bad fuel gauges & that's just the way they are, the sender only takes a fuel reading on initial start up anyway, not when driving, the ECU then calculates fuel usage based on your driving. That's why it can be showing nearly empty when your driving then when you start up the next time you have a quarter of a tank. The gauge works best if you fill it to the top & run it right down, the operation of the gauge is especially bad if you only do small fill ups at a time.
Also if you change the sender make sure you have as little fuel as possible in the tank, if its over half full there is a risk of distorting the tank due to the weight & the ring doesn't go back on.
3ps

Post by 3ps »

Xsarahdi wrote:My Xsara (Hdi though) makes quite an audible buzz/hum/drone noise from the fuel pump when priming for 2-3 seconds too. It has done so since we got the car in 2007 and it hasn't got any worse. So I wouldn't be too concerned over the noise
That's reassuring. My mechanic said I should only be worried if it was making noise while driving.
But I am loaning the car to some friends for a month and just wanted to be extra sure.

Perhaps if there is no work required on it for the next test I might just do it for the fun of it to keep on top of things.

I do fill to brim and then empty. I find it stop at the final 1/4 mark for ages and then suddenly drops when the red light zone is reached.
taffy
My Cars:

Post by taffy »

mine on my hdi started to be come more audiable over time..it got so noticeable i decided to investigate and took pump out of tank...to find the filter inside the pump housing chocked up with dirt grime and debries...cleaned it all up with brake cleaner put it back in and the pump was almost silent!!...i know thou also that i had put some dirty deisel in and it could have helped along quicker then most ppl but it was noticeable change and ilso in accel and mpg...cleanliness is the biggest priority on this thou very important!
99 silver 2.1td exclusive xantia
99 red 2.0 hdi exclusive xantia..
00 black 2.0 hdi exclusive xantia
99 blue 2.0 hdi exclusive xantia
06 silver 1.6 hdi vtr c5
57 blue C4 GP 1.6hdi exclusive
08 black C4 GP 2.0hdi vtr