water noise behind dash on Xsara

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

3ps

water noise behind dash on Xsara

Post by 3ps »

Hi,

I just picked up my new Xsara.

It was frozen over, so the garage started it up and left it running while we were doing the documentation.

I then drove it over to a side road a 100m away to gather my bearings etc, still running, I then drove about 1 mile to a petrol station.

When I turned it back on there was a water running, gurgling noise from behind the dash for about 2-3 seconds.

It didn't happen again. When I got to work about 15 miles away I turned it off, and then turned it on again and it didn't happen.
It also didn't happen on Saturday when I went to view the car and I suspect it had been sitting there for a good while.

No aircon fitted.

Any ideas?
qprdude
My Cars: Renault 5 TS, Renault 14ts, Citroen C5 Mk1, Renault Clio sport, Renault Laguna Privilege. Citroen C5 X7 Exclusive. Citroen DS5 D/sport . And around 25+ other brands from Morris Oxford to S Type jag and most things between.

Re: water noise behind dash on Xsara

Post by qprdude »

You don't say what year /engine the car is, which would help the guys who know Xzara's, but some cars (not necessarily citroens), have a "plenum chamber" at the engine bulkhead that collects water from the windscreens and drains it down to the ground. If the narrow drain is frozen, the ice would melt after the car warmed up and the water would "gurgle off" down the drain. There are also sun roof drains which get frozen, then thaw out. It's maybe possible that you had some air in the heater matrix if the car has been sitting ,or been drained for anti-freeze and it has bled out. You sure it was behind the dash, and not trapped in the doors or somewhere else?
Keep and eye (ear) on it, and make sure you're not losing water or heating. All generic stuff and liable to occur in any car.
Maybe someone with a Xsara will have experienced the problem.
Rick.

2013 Citroen DS 5 D/Sport
2007 Renault Clio Campus sport. 1.2l

Sometimes the change doesn't work.
spider
My Cars: Soon, I hope...

Post by spider »

That kind of noise normally points to an airlock / headgasket (not too likely) or heater matrix.

The latter you'd notice after a bit due to coolant inside the car, in some cases it can mist the interior up as moisture from the coolant gets out onto the glass area (seems rare)

As above I'd initially just keep an eye on it, levels especially it may if you're lucky have just been a one off air lock. Does the heater work fine ? , an airlock can result in a poor heater. Although the garage will (hopefully!) have checked the coolant anyway.
Andy.

91 205D-Turbo, gone but still missed
02 106D, TUD5B, gone but not really missed apart from the MPG
3ps

Post by 3ps »

sorry, it's a 2001 1.4 and it definitely sounded like it was right behind the dashboard.

There was a lot of interior condensation, but it's been sat on a car lot for god knows how long.

Oh please God it is not the heater matrix but I did get quite a bit of heat out of it.

Only got it today so will keep an eye on it!
3ps

Post by 3ps »

OK so I parked it up at about 11 this morning, and when I went back to it at 5 there was again quite alot of condensation.
No water noises at all though.

While driving home I kept the heat up full and the windows open a bit and it did clear it out quite well.
I might stick a dehumidifier in.

I couldn't find any damp carpet, but I really only checked the passenger footwell.

Are there some usual suspects in seals that can go?

Also, the temp need fluctuate a bit between 75/80 and 95 but for the most part was settled. Need to check the level.

It was nice an toasty though :)

I quite like it. Still in the adjusting the seat/steering wheel to suit me phase
oneday
My Cars:

Post by oneday »

when mine started leaking on the xsara the carpets stayed dry but windows misted up. put kseal in mine it was still worling ok 2 years later when i sold it did take it a couple of weeks to seal it.
C5 2.0 HDI VTR 2003 ICELANDIC GREY
306 1.4 LX MERIDIAN
3ps

Post by 3ps »

This morning there was ice on the car, but the windscreen inside was bone dry.

But after putting the heat on it get pretty clouded and wet. But it did clear pretty quickly.
On the drive to work it wasn't bad at all but the rear windows were a bit clouded.
I am hoping the car just needs a bit of drying out.

The only other problem I have is that I can still see the exhaust fumes after a 30-40 minutes commute with then engine up to temp.

Any ideas?

I don't mind a few jobs, but not the heater matrix!!
kentc5
My Cars:

Post by kentc5 »

With the temperatures we have at the moment... I would think it is normal to see the exaust fumes... even when the engine is fully heated when you accelarate.
My Lexus used to gargle.... well I found out a couple of months later that the expansion tank of the coolant was empty! :shock: :oops: hahahaha. I topped it up (2.5ltr it took!) and never lost anything since... however the Lexus IS has an "open" system where the expansion tank is not pressurised...(you can open the cap even with the engine running in full working temp with no problem, it is a push in cap rather than a screw on) hense the water can vapour over time if the coolant mix is poor.
The Citroens as far as I know they have a "closed" pressurised system so unless there is a crack on the bottle.. where is looses when it is hot or in pressure it shouldnt loose any.
Some humidity coming out as soon as you switch on the blower is normal, it sould clear out in a minute or so though.

As you say your car is not fitted with an aircon, then you will not be able to stop the rear side windows from clouding... the more passengers you have the worst... or if you go in the car to drive after you had a shower, or wet from a rainfall!
They will clear but it will take long time as the rear of the car does not have too many vents only the floor ones and they are not enough to warm that rear materials as fast.
Current Cars:
Citroen Xantia 3.0 V6 Exclusive ('98)
Alfa Romeo 166 2.0TS ('03)
Audi A6 C6 2.4 V6 SE ('05)
BMW 735i Individual M-Pack ('00)
Lexus GS300SE Navigator ('98)
Toyota Prius T-Spirit ('04)
3ps

Post by 3ps »

bone dry again today!

Although temp is wavering a bit between 85-95
3ps

Post by 3ps »

Temp needle was fluctuating and red light came on once for a split second. Fan was coming on a lot too.
Was low on coolant so I topped up. Went for a drive and it was much improved. Top pipe of rad was hot.
I can still hear a slight gurgle behind the dash so I think there are bubbles going around... what is the best way to get rid of them?
oneday
My Cars:

Post by oneday »

there is normaly an air bleed on the top heater hose in the engine bay neext to the bulkhead
C5 2.0 HDI VTR 2003 ICELANDIC GREY
306 1.4 LX MERIDIAN
spider
My Cars: Soon, I hope...

Post by spider »

Yes there's one on the heater.

I'm trying to remember and its not a 306 either. For a petrol TU its usually:

One on the heater hose.

One on the thermostat housing (in most cases) probably a brass hex key around 6mm, careful with these as they *will* snap if you tighten it too much. If nothing comes out, take it right out as they can block, usual precautions against steam / hot water jets.

Possibly one on the radiator top, I think later units don't have one here.
Andy.

91 205D-Turbo, gone but still missed
02 106D, TUD5B, gone but not really missed apart from the MPG
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

Something that I have found helped with clouding windows is to get them REALLY clean. Condensation usually needs a seed point to form, and any spot of dirt will do. When I cleaned Gracie's windows recently I found that they stayed clearer overnight, and when I got in and started her up, it took longer for the windows to fog up and cleared more quickly.
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
3ps

Post by 3ps »

Yes I can notice that it is cloudier on the passenger side of the windscreen as it is a bit more grimey.

What is the procedure to get the air out. Open the valve while running the engine?
Northern_Mike

Post by Northern_Mike »

3ps wrote:This morning there was ice on the car, but the windscreen inside was bone dry.

But after putting the heat on it get pretty clouded and wet. But it did clear pretty quickly.
On the drive to work it wasn't bad at all but the rear windows were a bit clouded.
I am hoping the car just needs a bit of drying out.

The only other problem I have is that I can still see the exhaust fumes after a 30-40 minutes commute with then engine up to temp.

Any ideas?

I don't mind a few jobs, but not the heater matrix!!

Sounds like the Ford Cougar I had recently. That was a pig for condensation. There was so much water on the windscreen inside that I had to wipe it off with kitchen roll, 2 or 3 times after I picked it up, then it wasn't so bad. It also needed new cabin filter, as it was blocked up, and stopping airflow into the cabin. That solved the problem instantly.