Fuel Filter change C5 2.2 single turbo HDi

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

456eec

Fuel Filter change C5 2.2 single turbo HDi

Post by 456eec »

Hello,
I'm fairly new to the car and am looking at replacing my fuel filter.
I have the Haynes manual which doesn't cover this engine. I've read the descriptions of the other HDi engines but wondering if there are differences with the 2.2.
If someone could give a detailed description or a link to one I would be grateful. I have the filter and O ring ($19 posted from UK to Australia compared with $56 to get the local auto shop to order one). I know absolute cleanliness is paramount.

Thanks
Justin
SaabC5
My Cars: 09 C5 X7 2.0Hdi Exclusive

Re: Fuel Filter change C5 2.2 single turbo HDi

Post by SaabC5 »

Justin, its a straight forward affair if you've ever turned a spanner. Its handily placed on the front of the engine, just use a screwdriver to prise out the tab on the side of the fuel supply/return pipes you can't mix them up they are different sizes. You may need a rubber oil filter grip to turn the top of the fuel filter cannister, mine was a bear to undo! Just remove the inner filter and replace with the new filter making sure you have a cloth handy for the fuel that will overflow when you push the filter in (Newtons law doesn't apply to fuel filters) :mrgreen: . Replace the top inc new O ring and fuel lines and crank the engine over....no need to prime anything the 2.2 has an electric pump.
09 C5 X7 2.0Hdi Exclusive in Perla Nera black (the best colour) :wink:
456eec

Post by 456eec »

Wow! Sounds too easy to be true. I've actually ordered The special tool to unscrew the top so when that comes I should be good to go.
Do I need to disconnect the battery to stop the pump pumping or does it only pump with ignition on?
Thanks for the reply.
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

I would be VERY surprised if the pump ran without the ignition on! I know it didn't when I replaced the fuel filter on Gracie, but she is a 2.0l HDi Xantia.
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
horsedentist

Post by horsedentist »

Pump only runs when ignition is on, if you turn the ignition on when you have finished you can pop back and watch the fuel and air bubbles being pumped back to the tank via the translucent pipe so you know filter is full and no air then she is good to go you can also check for leaks without starting her up.
Monkeyfeet
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: C5:Hatch & an Esatate. Real cruisemobiles.

Post by Monkeyfeet »

Another vote for the it's an easy-to-do-job party here. Only small thing to note is that there are often two filters listed for the early 2.2's. I usually come home with both from the parts shop 'cos I'm too dumb to remember which I need. In fact I've got the filters on the shelf above the pc now. FEM numbers are 4184 ( a Reisse 48100013) and 4152 ( a Guttman 503735051) if that's any use.
XantiaTD's(all gone). BXGTi, sold (sob). C5 2.2Hdi SE Exc Hatch. C5 2.2 Estate auto. Xsara Hdi estate. Yam YZF750, Zoom. GSX-S750, mmm.
horsedentist

Post by horsedentist »

Well done I forgot about that,they look almost identical to don't they.
Monkeyfeet
(Donor 2022)

Post by Monkeyfeet »

er, they might do, but I've just taken them to my local garage (where the car is - another story though) so unfortunately can't compare them....sorry :oops:
XantiaTD's(all gone). BXGTi, sold (sob). C5 2.2Hdi SE Exc Hatch. C5 2.2 Estate auto. Xsara Hdi estate. Yam YZF750, Zoom. GSX-S750, mmm.
Northern_Mike

Post by Northern_Mike »

Monkeyfeet wrote:Another vote for the it's an easy-to-do-job party here. Only small thing to note is that there are often two filters listed for the early 2.2's.
I now have that problem with the Berlingo, there's two listed for the 2.0HDI in that at Eurocarparts : Both Hengst, one says "Siemens Element type" and the other says "Bosch Element type"..
Now, I know 100% that my car has a Siemens injection system on it, of that, there is no doubt.

What's the odds on me going getting the "Siemens Element type" filter, and finding it's the wrong one? From previous experience with Citroen parts, I'd say it's 50/50..
Monkeyfeet
(Donor 2022)

Post by Monkeyfeet »

Nah, the Law of Sod probably states that the chances of getting the wrong one are more like 60/40 :-D