Xsara blower and heater problems!!

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

jamez87

Xsara blower and heater problems!!

Post by jamez87 »

Ok guys id just like to say hi! ive got a problem at the moment and would really appreciate your help as i am suffering at the moment lol!

First off the car is a 2001 xsara (ph2) 2.0 hdi 110.

Ill start from the beginning....

I'm a posty so i work early mornings! Last saturday i turned the car on and put the fan on full blast to heat the window...left it for 10 mins, came back and all was good so i set on my way. I got just around the corner and my blower just cut off! It was still on full so was pretty noticeable lol!

Ive checked the fuses and they all look good. So my next step was to remove the fan from under the glove box so i could have a look at the connections and check the fan was spinning freely, which it is and all connections seem to look good, no wiggling the wires started the fan again either.

I have read that many citroens suffer problems with the blower but it only ever seems to be the problem where it is stuck on full and simply changing the resistor/control module would fix this. Im not sure if the control module would stop the fans altogether? however i am awaiting on a new resistor to try just in case!?

Anyway as well as that problem.....before i took the fan out i could still receive hot air from the vents but i took the fan out on monday and since then there has been no hot air with or without the fan plugged in. What could have caused this and is taking the fan out linked?

I really need help as im suffering with early mornings in this weather, my car is like a freezer at the moment and sorting out the window in the morning is proving a challenge!!

I must also point out that up until now the fan had been operating correctly on all settings!

so any ideas to help me are much appreciated!
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Re: Xsara blower and heater problems!!

Post by Peter.N. »

Check to see that you have 12 volts on the motor connections, you may need the engine running for this, if you do the motor is faulty or more likely the speed regulator, if you don't have 12v check the relevant fuse/s by removing them as the contacts on the fuseholder can burn.

Its possible that the control unit on the dashboard is faulty although unlikely, if so when the thin wire to the motor plug is earthed it should come to life.

Peter
jamez87

Post by jamez87 »

thanks for your reply.....i forgot to mention this but when i use the controls i can hear things moving, eg when i turn the speed from off to on and when i turn heater from hot to cold, i can hear things moving away in the back ground. So i assume the controls on the dash wouldnt be at fault!
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

That's probably right so I should do the checks on the blower supply.

Peter
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

If it's an AC car it will have the controller/heatsink board beside the fan "cage".

This board can go OC or SC; if current load is excessive the printed tracks fail. Lack of a negative (ground) feedback to the climate controller means there is no operation of the AC clutch, no operability of the mixer flap motor (and thus no temperature control).
jamez87

Post by jamez87 »

by ac i assume you mean air con? which it is.

not to sure what this heatsink board is though? what does it look like?
jamez87

Post by jamez87 »

does anyone know where the blower relay is for the hdi 110? someone said there could be 2nd fuse board in the under bonnet fuse box....but there isn't!
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

the heat sink is part of the resistor pack,

you are saying there is no obvious terminal/connector damage/over heating to any of the plug connectors then,

does your heated rear screen work/power up,
Regards, malcolm.

current ride a BX 1.7 TZD estate
1986 MK1 BX 1.9na D Auto(in Mothman Andy's stable )
layed up roppy 1.9TD XANT estate, now gone to meet her maker
purple and lilac metalic 2CV(VIOLET)registered to her in doors
1972 DS special been layed up aprox 31 years
jamez87

Post by jamez87 »

i have the fan infront of me now...in bits.... all connectors on the fan look good, likewise in the car going to the fan.

my heated rear screen does work.

hopefully in half an hour i will have a new resistor that i ordered off ebay...so shall see what happens.
jamez87

Post by jamez87 »

ok tried the resistor..nothing..so im assuming it was never a resistor fault...however simply reassembling the unit in the car has bought heat back through my vents.

but still no fan...so i want to check the relay...just dont know where it is!!