Xantia Bayonet Connectors - ARRGHH

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

ecohouse1
My Cars: Rover 75 CDT TourerAuto , , Mercedes 190E 1.8 1993, 2CV6 Special 1987, Peugeot 206 1.1 2001. Repairs and maintenance of two Hyundai i10s
Deceased
Xantia TD Estate 1999 (now with Chris Morewood)
Xsara 1.9D Saloon
BXTZD Break
BXTGD Hatch
Peugeot 309 1.9D
Various 2CVs
Porsche 924 lux
Porsche 924S
Renault Clio 1.4 Auto
GSA Pallas
Triumph Herald 1200

Xantia Bayonet Connectors - ARRGHH

Post by ecohouse1 »

I replaced the Radiator and lower main hose (because the rad was raxed and bayonet seized in the joint)

Any way did this in June and all great - then on Friday past the hose pops out of the radiator dumping coolant everywhere and casuing the car to overheat in rush hour traffic! Thats a full 6 month later and 6 k miles including motorway since it was pushed in. Amazed it hasn't come out before now!!

Pushed it back in and forced the clip in to place and then trying to pull the hose out it semed fine - no sign of it coming away, so hopefully OK.

Engine seems OK too - its now refilled with 50/50 glycol/water.

Why the hell did Citroen use this instead of a stub and jubee clip!!!
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Re: Xantia Bayonet Connectors - ARRGHH

Post by CitroJim »

Sorry to hear that happened and good that no harm was done. It's always a good idea to eyeball those bayonets every now and again to make sure they're still fully home and happy...
ecohouse1 wrote: Why the hell did Citroen use this instead of a stub and jubee clip!!!
Because it made assembly at the factory very easy; not thinking at all how it would be for repairs later in the life of the car.

They're are the work of the devil, that's for sure and I, I think along with everybody else, hate them with a passion.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
lukkis
My Cars:

Re: Xantia Bayonet Connectors - ARRGHH

Post by lukkis »

They are (especially the lower one) a major PITA.The pipes should be clean from rust and other things, then the fitting is quite easy to mount and reliable. Some lubricant on the sealing helps a bit too.