Newbie with thirsty 2.2 hdi C5

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

badpanel

Newbie with thirsty 2.2 hdi C5

Post by badpanel »

Hi there, I'm a newbie on here but have read a few bits and pieces on here and hope someone can shed some light on my issue.
A week or so ago I purchased a 52 plate C5 estate 2.2 hdi auto exclusive from a long term customer of ours at the garage I work at.
It's done 106 k and has been serviced regularly by us and shows no faults on ecu other than something to do with secondary heating.
Anyway it would seem from reading on this forum that these cars are far from the most economical but this one seems very poor, struggles to get more than 24-25 mpg average driven like an old fart.
Since buying it I have given it a fuel filter change which if anything seemed to make it worse and blanked off egr which didn't seem to make much difference either way. I have replaced the vac pipe on the egr solenoid that was split And checked the swirl flap action which all seems to work fine and also tried another MAF from a 2.2 Hdi C8
I am planning on a reflash and dpf removal but want to get it about right first really.
Any pointers as to common fuel economy problems would be great
Xantidote
My Cars:

Re: Newbie with thirsty 2.2 hdi C5

Post by Xantidote »

Peter N will be along shortly I expect. He's recently bought a 2.0 HDI, but was previously running a 2.2, and he was not at all happy with the 2.2's consumption
Martin

1995 Xantia TDLX (deceased :( )
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

I'm here :) I am not surprised at your consumption as yours is an auto, I drive like a grandad but still only manage an average of around 40 mpg from my manual and its rural here, the 2.0. litre will do in excess pf 60 mpg driven gently and averages about 50 mpg. I don't know why the consumption is so poor, I have tried most things to improve it including fitting a tuning box, that makes it much faster but has no effect on the consumption, that's why I bought the 2.0 L.

If you are driving in traffic that's about right I'm afraid.

Peter
Last edited by Peter.N. on 03 Dec 2012, 13:08, edited 1 time in total.
qprdude
My Cars: Renault 5 TS, Renault 14ts, Citroen C5 Mk1, Renault Clio sport, Renault Laguna Privilege. Citroen C5 X7 Exclusive. Citroen DS5 D/sport . And around 25+ other brands from Morris Oxford to S Type jag and most things between.

Post by qprdude »

My 2008 2.2 returns 40mpg on a run. Only 32 ish locally
Rick.

2013 Citroen DS 5 D/Sport
2007 Renault Clio Campus sport. 1.2l

Sometimes the change doesn't work.
badpanel

Post by badpanel »

Thanks for the replies Guys, I have read a few things about the poor mpg on these 2.2's.
I will try checking out a few more bits on it as it is struggling to reach 25mpg on my run home to work which is small amount of stop start in town and the 4-5 miles at normal A road speeds.
Really like the comfort and trim level of the car but its a bit hard to swallow the mpg coming from a beat up old 1997 Passat 110 tdi with a few tweaks that would do 42 mpg average regardless of how you drove it
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

I don't know how they have managed to get that sort of consumption from an Hdi, I could get 50 mpg from my old IDI 2.1 XMs. The 2.2 engine is very smooth, I will say that for it and with a tuning chip it goes like a scalded cat. If you don't do a lot of miles it doesn't really matter, well 40 mpg doesn't I don't know about 25 mpg though.

Peter