my old 1.6 HDi

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

mooseshaver
My Cars:

my old 1.6 HDi

Post by mooseshaver »

About a week after trading in my C5 1.6HDi (2006) I had contact with the garage, who asked me if the car had ever run out of oil as they had to spend £1200 because the camshafts were warped.
I was horrified to think I had traded a car in needing that done, and also because I had no idea something was wrong.
The car had been mine since the end of 2009 and its never been low on oil. Or overfilled.
Is there anyway I could have noticed this problem?
The garage said you could hear it in the showroom once the engine cover was off, but I have removed that plastic cover myself and not noticed anything wrong. But I wouldn't know what to listen for.
Could it be the cause of the intermittent hesitation/loss of power?
C5 III Tourer 2.0 HDi 163 Auto Exclusive
Gone cars.
C5 2.2 HDi Exclusive Estate auto 57. Awesome car. Sadly Could not be fixed by Citroen.
C5 1.6 HDi VTR Estate 56. Traded in.
C5 2.2 HDi SX Estate 02. Drowned in the floods of 09.
C3 1.4 HDi 92 SX 52.
Saxo 1.1 East Coast.
lexi
(Donor 2020)
My Cars:

Re: my old 1.6 HDi

Post by lexi »

Possible sludging of oil may have caused this. The engine is known for it and cannot handle
the manufacturers oil change intervals. I would change oil on that engine every 5k or 6 months myself personally.
Citroen C5 1.6 HDI 110bhp Estate 06 plate

French Mistresses gone.
Citroen C5 HDI Mk 1 hatchback
Vel Satis 3.5 v6
ZX 1.9D Est.
ZX 1.9DHatch
Xantia 1.9td est.
Xantia 2.0 hdi Est.
Xantia V6 MK1
Xantia V6 MK 2
Northern_Mike

Post by Northern_Mike »

mooseshaver wrote:About a week after trading in my C5 1.6HDi (2006) I had contact with the garage, who asked me if the car had ever run out of oil as they had to spend £1200 because the camshafts were warped.
I was horrified to think I had traded a car in needing that done, and also because I had no idea something was wrong.
?
I wouldn't really believe anything a garage says, having worked in a few. I wouldn't feel bad about it at all. I presume they saw the car before you traded it in and agreed a price? Yes? Well, that's just their bad luck then. I'm sure they'd be more than awkward if tables were turned..
mooseshaver
My Cars:

Post by mooseshaver »

Thanks its hard not to feel guilty. They were really nice about it and I think just wanted to know if I knew.
They did have a drive of it while I looked round the new one
Last service the sump was dropped and it was apparently clean. The turbo filter was also cleaned but not much in there.
I suppose it's always been like it and I've not noticed
C5 III Tourer 2.0 HDi 163 Auto Exclusive
Gone cars.
C5 2.2 HDi Exclusive Estate auto 57. Awesome car. Sadly Could not be fixed by Citroen.
C5 1.6 HDi VTR Estate 56. Traded in.
C5 2.2 HDi SX Estate 02. Drowned in the floods of 09.
C3 1.4 HDi 92 SX 52.
Saxo 1.1 East Coast.
qprdude
My Cars: Renault 5 TS, Renault 14ts, Citroen C5 Mk1, Renault Clio sport, Renault Laguna Privilege. Citroen C5 X7 Exclusive. Citroen DS5 D/sport . And around 25+ other brands from Morris Oxford to S Type jag and most things between.

Post by qprdude »

Yes, I would feel guilty too, even though there is no way you could know. If you got a warranty with your new car, it would be hard to go back unless it had a major problem. It's just one of those things and there's nothing you can do about it.
Just remember, the garage made a lot more than that on the deal, and will have covered that ten times over with the next few sales. I part exchanged a Rover 75 a couple of years ago, and it was sold for £2000 more within a week. Win some lose some.
Part exchange is a risk that garages take, and they rely on their experience to get it right. I'm sure things like this happen often, thats why the mark up on second hand cars is so high.
Rick.

2013 Citroen DS 5 D/Sport
2007 Renault Clio Campus sport. 1.2l

Sometimes the change doesn't work.