Bidding farewell to Xantia and Citroen ownership for now :(

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

HDI
My Cars:

Bidding farewell to Xantia and Citroen ownership for now :(

Post by HDI »

Well, after over 12 years and 3 Xantia's I regret to announce that I'm saying farewell to Citroens, for now at least.
My trusty Xantia HDi exclusive is becoming too high maintenance after almost 202,000 miles. There is always something it needs and I cannot afford the time to keep up and have the risk of it letting me down. Having expended much time and effort looking for a nice, low mileage replacement Xantia Exclusive for it, without any success, I have been compelled to change to another make :(
So from tomorrow I defect to Sweden :shock: Namely a 2007 Saab 9-5 Vector Tid sport. My only previous experience of Saab was my dad's '73 95 Estate and I really liked that. This 9-5 was cheap for the year and spec and although it is a bit of a Frankenstein model with GM derived floor pan, Fiat engine and Saab everything else, I like it's looks and they are apparently quite good all around, with decent performance and economy. I had looked at Mondeo's, Volvo D5's and others which shall remain nameless out of shame but the Saab seemed to provide all that I need at a good price.
Seriously looked at a C5 but they are now mostly non hydraulic and the more recent facelift models are quite expensive if spec'd like the Saab.
So thanks to all here for the help and advice I have gratefully found over the years and until I maybe find a nice C6 at an affordable price I'll say, à tout à l'heure :-({|=
Now using '00 Xantia LX HDI, pov spec :(
My past Citroens :-
'00 Xantia SX HDI, now dead due to accident :(
'99 Xantia HDI 110 Exclusive, RIP :(
'97 Xantia TD SX
'96 Xantia TD LX
'96 ZX TD
'89 BX TD
'88 AX GT
'79 CX2400 Pallas (scrapped :( )
& a couple of Peugeots !
oneday
My Cars:

Re: Bidding farewell to Xantia and Citroen ownership for now

Post by oneday »

thats a real shame good look with the saab sure we will see you back here in the future
C5 2.0 HDI VTR 2003 ICELANDIC GREY
306 1.4 LX MERIDIAN
citroenxm
My Cars: M reg Xm S2 2.1td Auto Exclusive. 269k and rising
L reg XM S1 V6 12v Manual SEi
L 94 XM 2.1 TD auto total resto

2008 Peugeot 207 Sw 1.6 16v hdi. 217k and rising
2010 Peugeot 207 SW 1.6 8v HDi 161k and rising

Post by citroenxm »

Im sure we will see you back very soon, The Saab is only a Vectra in disguise, has a Fiat Multi jet engine in it, which may be quick, but apparently not so good on fuel...

202k on a Xantia, thats barely run in.. I bought mine at 156k, now at 228k I have just passed another MOT and only needed a bottom ball joint, but other then track rods Ive virtually done nothing else to it.. Subject only to correct Oil changes too

Its amazing really how some can need lots of attention where others can go un attended for longer.

Good luck with the Saab, Ive read the modern ones are quite like the wonderfull Original ones..
Sharing a pug 207 1.6 hdi Sw 16v.
M reg Xm 2.1 td auto exclusive S2 269k and rising
L reg XM V6 12v SEi auto .. Light project

A very sad...
1994 XM 2.1 d auto
Xantidote
My Cars:

Post by Xantidote »

Good luck with the Saab. Problem looking for a replacement Xantia is that there aren't so many around now - a dying breed :(
Martin

1995 Xantia TDLX (deceased :( )
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

All the best HDI, thanks for all you've contributed here and see you when you return to the fold...

Citroen could do a lot worse than reintroduce the Xantia...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

...or even a proper C5 :(
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Peter.N. wrote:...or even a proper C5 :(
Or even a well-engineered and screwed together XM....
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
bxzx16v
My Cars: Past Frenchies , 4xBx16v,1xBxGti,1xBxTzd,2xZx Volcanes,1xZx reflex,1xPug 405mi16, 3x Xantia 1.9td's,1x Xantia activa, 2x Renault 25 V6 turbo, 1 Zx16v ,1 Pug 406 V6 coupe ,1x C8 , 1x Berlingo van , 1x Xanti 2.1td , 1x Renault Laguna 3

Post by bxzx16v »

It must be a sad day after all those years xantia ownership . We had the same dilemma when we sold our last ( of 4 ) xantia , my wife didn't like the C5 I or II and we eventually settled on a Laguna II hatch then a Lag II estate both were fantastic cars . I had a couple of C5's myself but tbh prefered the xantia/laguna . The fiat multijet fitted to the saabs are a fantastic engine , I have the 120bhp in a doblo and it's great , my previous doblo had clocked 150k without issues .

Mark
2009 Landrover Freelander 2 TD4se (killed an Audi) , sadly now gone .
2012 Landrover Freelander 2 SD4 AUTO Love it . Now gone .
2014 Ford Bmax 1.0 Ecoboost Zetec . Fantastic little machine .Gone now.
2014 Ford Focus 2.0 Tdci Zetec S with the French heart.
gadgetgricey

Post by gadgetgricey »

I dont know if its just me that thinks this, but there seem to be quite a few people who seem to pair up these brands, me included :oops: :-D

My Xantia is off the road at the moment, but "normally" have an Hdi as a daily driver, and then one of two Saabs to use at a weekend. Got a classic C900 T16 and a GM900 Convertible that I swap the classic policy over during the year.

However at the moment the Xantia is off the road and using a Saab 9-5 Aero as a daily driver. Lovely car, very powerful, but crippling me on fuel. Bought as a spares car as has 267,000 miles on the clock. On driving it though its much more than a spares car, so thought I'd insure it as an early Christmas present to myself and have two months of fun. (My wallet is not though)
It has a minor issue with the gearbox, but everything else works from the heated seats (front, and rear) to all the puddle lights.

To me anyway it seems both "brands" are great cars and if looked after can do fantastic mileages, in supreme comfort.

What you doing with your Hdi, as may need a "test" car to fix mine. Still having issues with the heater blower, which is another reason why I'm using the 9-5 at the moment?

Enjoy the Saab, but certain you will be back to Citroen at some point.

- Dave -

As an aside. Can really recommend the UKSaabs website. Mirror image of the Citroen section of FCF. Very pleasant people who are always willing to offer help and have a laugh. Yet another reason why I enjoy both types.
C8 - Petrol Auto (Love the electronic doors)
Xantia Hdi Exclusive Estate (gone but not forgotten)
HDI
My Cars:

Post by HDI »

Thanks chaps, I share your forecast that there is a strong possibility I could be back ! Who knows, I may even finally get a DS !
Gadget, I too have noticed that affinity between the 2 brands, I have always liked Saab's. As for the Xantia, it's looking a bit scruffy now, due to a road rager kicking it in the front wing, I kid you not, and other scrapes and knocks, although there is no visible body rust. It is obviously running, although it did recently suddenly lose power, not the usual issue but permanently. Although the engine still starts and runs well it feels like there is no turbo boost, even though I can still hear the turbo. This is the problem that broke the camels back, I just don't have time to fault find it. It has MOT until next March or April but no tax from end November. I will probably put it up on Gumtree as spares or repair, if it doesn't go on there it will be the scrap man, very regrettably. Other faults are, aircon, axillary heater, low and medium settings on the heated seats, non of these work. The leather seats are in good condition, even the drivers seat, although showing wear is not clapped out. Also needs new front pads. All spheres and hydraulic pump were replaced within the last 18 months.
I hope the Saab does prove ok but I suppose at the very least it should be reliable transport. Pleased to hear good news on the Fiat engine !
Now using '00 Xantia LX HDI, pov spec :(
My past Citroens :-
'00 Xantia SX HDI, now dead due to accident :(
'99 Xantia HDI 110 Exclusive, RIP :(
'97 Xantia TD SX
'96 Xantia TD LX
'96 ZX TD
'89 BX TD
'88 AX GT
'79 CX2400 Pallas (scrapped :( )
& a couple of Peugeots !
Duke137

Post by Duke137 »

Sod that man are you mad? Just get it fixed and keep running it! How much is the new Saab costing you? More money than it would to have the xantia sorted and running straight and true!

My trusty steed has 156k on it, it is due oil and filters that it will get over Xmas and MOT in Feb. It will get everything it needs for another years ticket and that will be that. My only quibble with it is the government charge me far too much to tax it but that isn't the cars fault. It is a car that cost naff all, owes me naff all and is worth naff all - To all intents and purposes the perfect dailly family car.
Eddie Nuff
New User
My Cars:

Post by Eddie Nuff »

Can't argue with that Duke. Spent £300 on parts in the autumn to keep my baby going . . . and I'm glad I did! :-D

New track-rod ends, ball joints, cv joints, heater plugs and a LUK clutch, and it drives like new again.

Just need to do the air con in the spring and I'm sorted for a few years.
SaabC5
My Cars: 09 C5 X7 2.0Hdi Exclusive

Post by SaabC5 »

gadgetgricey wrote:I dont know if its just me that thinks this, but there seem to be quite a few people who seem to pair up these brands, me included :oops: :-D
Yup, i think its the quirkiness of the marques that appeal to most of us. I've spent the last 8 years in various Saabs and still rue the day they went under. Just as a heads up for HDi, if you need any work done i can thoroughly recommend Weston Moore at Nottingham Saabs in Ilkeston Derby, he's a top top man and will do a 1st class job at a sensible price and never rip you you off. If you need used parts try Salvo Group also in Ilkeston, new parts online go to http://www.partsforsaabs.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; they are an invaluable source for new parts sourced from Sweden.
09 C5 X7 2.0Hdi Exclusive in Perla Nera black (the best colour) :wink:
Duke137

Re:

Post by Duke137 »

Eddie Nuff wrote:Can't argue with that Duke. Spent £300 on parts in the autumn to keep my baby going . . . and I'm glad I did! :-D

New track-rod ends, ball joints, cv joints, heater plugs and a LUK clutch, and it drives like new again.

Just need to do the air con in the spring and I'm sorted for a few years.
That's it, either that or go and get a Kia on the 'HP' with a 7 year warranty and get stung for lots of monthly payments where some fat cat is getting even fatter charging you 300 million percent. Not likely!

Far cheaper to keep old turds going like this but then don't under estimate how stupid the general British Public are :)
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

I'm with you Duke although due to my circumstances (chronic illness) I have considered going down the 'Kia route' so that I have one less thing to worry about but the fact is I can still maintain and do the necessary jobs on my cars when conditions permit and having three of the breed I'd be jolly unlucky to find all of them out of action simultaneously :)

The cost of tax, insurance and annual maintenance still add up to less than about three months HP payments on a new one so it did not take much thinking about really...
Jim