2002 Citroen C5 cuts out

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

rickbas

2002 Citroen C5 cuts out

Post by rickbas »

Hello

I've been experiencing all the usual electrical probs with my 2002 C5 but in the last couple of days its started to cut out when driving - especially worrying on the motorway! it just cuts out and am just about able to pull over onto hard shoulder... all the warning lights come on... wait a few seconds, switch it on and its fine again until it cuts out again. Seriously p***ed off with all the problems having so far getting to know the personality quirks of this car have been able to cope but its doing my head in now

1. anti pollution warning intermittently on but then can be off for ages - no idea what affects this, sometimes filling up with fuel switches it off, sometimes making sure tyre pressures are right makes it go...
2. passenger window opens when switching windscreen wipers on
3. sometimes suspension goes up and down all on its own after i've parked up.. found that making sure wheels straight when parked stops this happeneing...

... anyway main problem for now is the engine cutting off. don't really want to take to garage for diagnostic check etc just yet as don't really trust them to be honest and a lot of the time they seem to just guess at what the problem is when its an electric fault

ANY IDEAS... PLEASE!!!

thanks
Rick
oneday
My Cars:

Re: 2002 Citroen C5 cuts out

Post by oneday »

where abouts are you and are there any members near you with a lexia. member locations are in the superstickys. the suspension is a common fault and you have already found the cure some do it some dont.
C5 2.0 HDI VTR 2003 ICELANDIC GREY
306 1.4 LX MERIDIAN
Lighty
My Cars:

Post by Lighty »

You dont say which C5 it is, assuming its a diesel, I have had the fuel pump supply connector burn in the underbonnet fuse box.It caused this problem, try disconnecting all the plugs, and check for the slightest sign of burning, clean connector, and scrape pins in fuse box.
I cant remember which connector, but it is a thick wire.
http://www.marklightfootltd.co.uk
Dacia Duster 1.5 dci
Renault Twizy Technic
Citroen C15
Citroen Ami
waynedance

Post by waynedance »

Have you had the battery checked? Can cause electrical problems if battery not good.
Volvo S80 D5.........
C5 2.2HDi Exclusive 2003 manual (now gone).
2009 Renault Megane, the misses drive.
Had a 1988 BX 19TRS Auto many moons ago.
Forgive any spelling mistakes, it's the phone not me.
rickbas

Post by rickbas »

Thanks for the replies... Apologies - not very good when it comes to cars etc

Oneday - I'm in Warrington, will a lexia help sort out any problems or just diagnose the faults.

Lighty - sorry yes it is a diesel, where abouts is the fuel pump supply connector?.. and the plugs?

The engines only been cutting out since the weathers got really cold. The anti-pollution warning has been intermittent since i bought the stupid thing in July. On reading the forums it seems this might be the DPF clogging up - but i've been told that an old 2002 C5 wouldn't have a DPF, can anyone clear this up for me?
On starting the last few times it seems that white smoke is coming out of the exhaust - could this be due to the cold weather (it does have a diesely smell) or could it be the filter being clogged up?
I gave it some welly on the revs - pretty sluggish but got some revs, lots of smoke - then it cut out again

worried that if i take it to a garage even for a diagnostics check i'll end up throwing money after it and due to the age of it -simply wouldnt be worth it! Its like russian roullette every time i go for a drive anywhere!

thanks

Rick
oneday
My Cars:

Post by oneday »

a lexia will help you track down where the faults are comeing from. its the same as the diagnostics you will get at a garage but people on here do it for bear tokens. no dpf if its a 2.0 hdi. white smoke is useualy a sign of water in the system. try it without the air filter in see if it improves but dont run the car without italso check filter for water it has been known for water to get through the air box. what colour smoke is it when you rev it
C5 2.0 HDI VTR 2003 ICELANDIC GREY
306 1.4 LX MERIDIAN
rickbas

Post by rickbas »

Morning.. switched a few fuses round etc yesterday. Took it for a quick run this morning and its been absolutely fine, no warning lights, not even the anti pollution light. Its not been frosty / cold this morning so wondering whether the recent cold spell has caused it to cut out with the extra sensors (ice alerts etc) coming in to play. No white smoke either so that could have just been condensation in the cold. Booked it in for a diagnostics check tomorrow but beginning to wonder whether thats even worth it as have a feeling this is just something i'm going to have to put up with!