2001 C5 2.2 diagnostic connector/cable?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

typeAlpha
My Cars:

2001 C5 2.2 diagnostic connector/cable?

Post by typeAlpha »

Hi, I've got a 2001 C5 2.2 HDi SX (Manual) and It's got Anti Pollution fault... my mechanic took it to get the fault codes read and it came back with the following fault codes :

P1447 - Particle emission filter, filter holed.
P0100 - Mass air flow sensor, short-circuit to battery positive
P1435 - Additive system; disfunction
P0245 - Turbo pressure; air flow greater than maximum
P0402 - EGR valve; positive deviation
P0235 - Turbo pressure signal; short circuit to positive or value too high
P0401 - EGR valve; negative deviation.

ABS System - Torque reduction error

:(

It's had a new EGR valve, new cooler, new air filter, EOYLS topped up and brought upto temp. Anyway it drives pretty sluggish, slow acceleration and is terrible going up hill even in 2nd gear. I was initially going to get a new particulate filter for it but have since seen an advert on ebay for a remap file that can be uploaded to the car and removes anything to do with the DPF from the system, then I can physically remove the DPF from the car however it requires some software and a cable to upload it. I have a OBDII connector but when looking in the glovebox the connector seems to be similar but not the same. Does anybody know the cable type I need? The software to upload the file is called Galletto(?)

Any help greatly appreciated before I start throwing money at this thing.
C5 2.2 HDi SX
typeAlpha
My Cars:

Re: 2001 C5 2.2 diagnostic connector/cable?

Post by typeAlpha »

Uploaded picture of the connectors in my glovebox..

C5 2.2 HDi SX
Monkeyfeet
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: C5:Hatch & an Esatate. Real cruisemobiles.

Post by Monkeyfeet »

That's alot of faults! But then one error can throw up others so don't worry too much yet. Is the car going into limp - home mode do you think, that would explain the sluggishness? It'll never scream away from the lights but it should be able to romp up hills no problem. Anyway maybe the filter is really well blocked up and that might explain the turbo faults, but it also says filter holed and I'm pretty sure that this would give the anti pollution fault you have.

P0100 Short cicuits to positive? Anybody out there advise if this is a red herring or not?

Anyway to answer your question re the cable, I used Galetto with a standard cable. It fitted and worked fine for ditching the dpf. Sounds like this is worth doing to get rid of some of those faults - you'd then get a clearer picture of whats up I think.
XantiaTD's(all gone). BXGTi, sold (sob). C5 2.2Hdi SE Exc Hatch. C5 2.2 Estate auto. Xsara Hdi estate. Yam YZF750, Zoom. GSX-S750, mmm.
VertVega
My Cars:

Post by VertVega »

Black plug on the left side is a standard OBD2 (OBD-II) plug.
I use Lexia for Xantia and it is compatible with C5 too.
C5 II 2.0i 16V - 2005 - Estate - 103KW - EW10A - Petrol - Manual
horsedentist

Post by horsedentist »

When I was looking through the BSI configuration with the lexia there is a section which says particle filter and the value is (1) now for items that are not fitted the value is (0) if you were to change that value to (0) and save it to the BSI would that fool it into believing the particle filter was not there if it is holed?
DickieG
Monaco's youngest playboy
My Cars:

Post by DickieG »

horsedentist wrote:When I was looking through the BSI configuration with the lexia there is a section which says particle filter and the value is (1) now for items that are not fitted the value is (0) if you were to change that value to (0) and save it to the BSI would that fool it into believing the particle filter was not there if it is holed?
In a word no, been there tried that :wink:
13 Ram 1500 Hemi
14 BMW 535D Tourer
19 BMW i3s
06 C3 Desire 1.4
72 DS 21 EFi Pallas BVH
typeAlpha
My Cars:

Post by typeAlpha »

Thanks for the replies. Monkeyfeet, is your C5 from 2001? I ask because today I tried connecting my OBDII cable and it would just not fit... I eventually got it to fit by cutting away some of the plastic surround on my cable and it went in more or less ok but when I connected the laptop and that galletto/ecu flash software it just said "Impossible to open port" so I'm assuming it wasn't connected right... Is it worth me buying a Galletto cable off ebay? The OBDII cable I have was originally bought for an Audi A6 which it worked fine on, I'm assuming there's some difference in the wiring?

I'm not sure if it's in limp-home mode or not, is there something I can do to test if it is or not? Sometimes it feels like the power is back but most of the time it is very sluggish and slow response, I haven't taken it on the motorway recently but on normal roads it can get upto around 50/55mph easy enough (just slowly) and will start to lose speed quickly if I then go up a hill, even if it isn't very steep (4th, even 3rd gear).

My plan is (if i can get a cable that works) to upload a remapped file that also removes any trace of the DPF and get my mechanic to physically remove it and see how it goes.

Edit : Forgot to mention another problem with the car is after parking up the rear suspension will lower but the front suspension raises, makes it look like the car is getting ready to take off into the air lol. It always does this, the only way around it is to press down on the suspension adjust just before I turn the ignition off then all is well. Any idea's what could be causing this?
C5 2.2 HDi SX
typeAlpha
My Cars:

Post by typeAlpha »

Got my galletto cable today, installed windows 7 drivers off cd, connected up perfectly, selected Citroen and BOSCH EDC 15 C2 29F400BT for driver... click on either "ECU Data" or "READ ECU", it acts like it's doing something then after about a minute it comes up "errore data0" and a pop-up box with a badly translated message telling me to turn dash off for 10 seconds or something... :(

Could someone please tell me where I am going wrong?
C5 2.2 HDi SX
mooseshaver
My Cars:

Post by mooseshaver »

Wasn't the odb2 required on 2004 onwards for diesel? I think some of the connectors may have been same shape but different pinouts/protocols from before that time.
I think thats what stopped me purchasing a code reader for cheap when I had an 02 C5 2.2.
C5 III Tourer 2.0 HDi 163 Auto Exclusive
Gone cars.
C5 2.2 HDi Exclusive Estate auto 57. Awesome car. Sadly Could not be fixed by Citroen.
C5 1.6 HDi VTR Estate 56. Traded in.
C5 2.2 HDi SX Estate 02. Drowned in the floods of 09.
C3 1.4 HDi 92 SX 52.
Saxo 1.1 East Coast.
typeAlpha
My Cars:

Post by typeAlpha »

mooseshaver wrote:Wasn't the odb2 required on 2004 onwards for diesel? I think some of the connectors may have been same shape but different pinouts/protocols from before that time.
I think thats what stopped me purchasing a code reader for cheap when I had an 02 C5 2.2.
I've heard that too but so far nobody can give a definite answer, looking at the port it looks as though not all the pins are used/wired. If anyone could any light on this situation I'd be extremely grateful.

If it turns out I can't get a cable for it I'll have no choice but to buy a new particulate filter for it... something I really don't want to do. :(
C5 2.2 HDi SX
Mandrake
My Cars:

Post by Mandrake »

Looks like the same connector supports a number of different signalling protocols, depending on which pins are implemented on a given car:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ODB2#OBD-I ... _protocols" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

For example a Xantia Mk2 uses K-line protocols even though it has the same connector as later models that support OBD-II signalling. The same article agrees that diesels sold in Europe are only mandated to support EOBD from 2004 onwards.

So it looks like its not as simple as just having the right connector...
Simon

1997 Xantia S1 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive in Silex Grey
2016 Nissan Leaf Tekna 30kWh in White

2011 Peugeot Ion Full Electric in Silver
1977 G Special 1129cc LHD
1978 CX 2400
1997 Xantia S1 2.0i Auto VSX
1998 Xantia S2 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive
typeAlpha
My Cars:

Post by typeAlpha »

I've just spoken to the guy who does the remaps/DPF removal and he reckons my Galletto cable is faulty (he says 1 in 10 are faulty!). He suggests for me to buy a MPPS flasher off ebay, he says that they tend to work better. Any suggestions? Not really sure what to do, don't want to keep throwing money at cables if they're all wrong but at the same time I don't fancy forking out for a new particulate filter either which will be a lot more money... if anyone on here as ever successfully flashed the ECU on a 2001 2.2 C5 I'd love to hear how it was done.
C5 2.2 HDi SX
DickieG
Monaco's youngest playboy
My Cars:

Post by DickieG »

typeAlpha wrote:if anyone on here as ever successfully flashed the ECU on a 2001 2.2 C5 I'd love to hear how it was done.
I've not done it personally but I know someone who successfully managed it using a Galetto cable and had total success.
13 Ram 1500 Hemi
14 BMW 535D Tourer
19 BMW i3s
06 C3 Desire 1.4
72 DS 21 EFi Pallas BVH
HaydnR
My Cars:

Post by HaydnR »

My 1st galletto cable read and wrote once then packed up giving the error data message. Ordered another cable from the same supplier which worked fine, contacted the seller who refunded the faulty cable.
Read file, copied and saved as a backup, modified the original, uploaded back to ecu , all working no problem.
'02 c5 2.2 hdi exclusive
typeAlpha
My Cars:

Post by typeAlpha »

Thanks for the replies. Good to hear that it has been done then and I can't see my car using different ECU/protocol I'd have thought they'd be all the same... from that year until facelift/2004 maybe. I suppose my cable could well be faulty then, I spoke to the seller and they went through the usual or read the online documentation blah blah and then said I should keep trying it until it works... doesn't really fill my head full of confidence especially with flashing the ECU and possibility of killing it. You'd think the cable would either work or not, if they're intermittent they mustn't be wired very well or rely on some dodgy internal components...

I'm going to try and get my money back off the seller and in the meantime purchase a MPPS cable (and avoid the chinese sellers!!! but who's to say the UK sellers aren't purchasing them cheap from china....)
C5 2.2 HDi SX