ABS/ESP dashboard light

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

flygirl757
My Cars:

ABS/ESP dashboard light

Post by flygirl757 »

Hi Guys and Gals (if any but hope so).
Boyfriend just got a Peugeot 407 SE HDi (2005) which looks like a spaceship compared to his old 405. It is low mileage (about 30000) and the ABS and ESP warning lights has just started to be on all the time. He is at a loss what to do. If he can avoid it, he wants to avoid spending a million pounds taking it to a Peugeot garage. In addition, sometimes the 'brake light out' warning bulb also comes on but when checked it is ok. As I have had loads and loads of help from this forum with my beloved Citroen Xantia (in fact I can safely say you've all kept it on the road - lol), I just wondered whether there is a common fault that somebody knows about. We know what ABS is but ESP is beyond us - lol. At least in his old 405 we just rolled along in blissful ignorance of what was going wrong - lol
Fingers crossed.
Cheers, Michelle
1994 Xantia 1.9TD
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

Hello Michelle,

I'd personally prefer the 405, but that's just me!

There are two things likely, and another couple possible beyond that. First I always tell people to get the battery put on a "load tester". A dying battery can generate phantom faults,and a load tester stresses a battery to the point where this is able to be detected.

The next common fault is your brake light switch, which is usually on the passenger side under the glovebox. Remove the felt-like trim to see it. Make sure the wires going into it are not stretched or strained.

Then you can also sometimes get a fault from failing wheel speed sensors ("ABS sensors") and if it is positively diagnosed as these, they are best replaced in pairs due to probable failure soon, of the opposite part.

Another cause of brake fault messages, is a fault with the brake pad wear sensors. These require a little knowledge of electical theory and some fiddling to sort.
flygirl757
My Cars:

Re: ABS/ESP dashboard light

Post by flygirl757 »

Hi Addo. Thanks a million for the reply and the concise explanations. We will try all that stuff. Well, he (bf) will - its freezing in England at the moment. Bet you're sitting on a beach supping a beer - lol. You won't get me outside. I'll post the results when he gets his arctic gear on and gets cracking. Thanks again X
1994 Xantia 1.9TD