Engine Temperature - erratic! (C8 2.2Hdi)

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

brittleware

Engine Temperature - erratic! (C8 2.2Hdi)

Post by brittleware »

Ok, cold engine - after less than a mile the gauge shoots up to 130c - with accompanying warning beep and red light. After about a minute, gauge drops to the expected below 50c as engine not yet warmed up at all.

Park for an hour - gauge now remains stuck at bottom of range for 10 miles or more - but cabin heater working nicely. Switch off.

Restart, all fine, temperature at the normal 90c.

Is this the sender? Or the BSI? (I have cleaned the contacts at the sender!)

TIA.
Citroen 2cv
Citroen 2.5 Safari
Citroen XM 3.0 V6
Citroen XM 2.0 turbo
Fiat Ulysse 2.2Hdi
6speedmanual
My Cars:

Re: Engine Temperature - erratic! (C8 2.2Hdi)

Post by 6speedmanual »

I had similar problem on a Pug 406 HDi. The give away on this is the high readings waaaaaay before the engine could have overheated.

It was caused by a failed temperature sender unit. Found a new one on ebay for less than £10.

If it is not that but the electronics in the BSI then "shrugs shoulders in a Gallic sort of way" further work may be required using a diagnostic kit..... but I reckon the sender is fair bet.

Peter
brittleware

Post by brittleware »

Thanks Peter - I'll try that first. I do have a LEXIA/PP2000 but no faults are reported (rubbish there are shed loads elsewhere!) in the cooling department.

Cheers,

Chris
Citroen 2cv
Citroen 2.5 Safari
Citroen XM 3.0 V6
Citroen XM 2.0 turbo
Fiat Ulysse 2.2Hdi
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

Same here with my C5. Would indicate coolant overtemperature for a few minutes after starting from cold then drop to normal after a couple of minutes.
New sensor fixed it and improved performance.
Mandrake
My Cars:

Post by Mandrake »

brittleware wrote:Thanks Peter - I'll try that first. I do have a LEXIA/PP2000 but no faults are reported (rubbish there are shed loads elsewhere!) in the cooling department.
You can monitor the engine coolant sensor reading in real time under the view parameters section of diagnostics on the Lexia, that will be a lot more useful than checking fault codes.

However depending on the engine model there may be separate coolant temperature sensors for the ECU and the dashboard gauge, in which case a faulty sensor for the gauge would not affect the data going to the ECU nor log a fault code or affect the running of the engine.
Simon

1997 Xantia S1 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive in Silex Grey
2016 Nissan Leaf Tekna 30kWh in White

2011 Peugeot Ion Full Electric in Silver
1977 G Special 1129cc LHD
1978 CX 2400
1997 Xantia S1 2.0i Auto VSX
1998 Xantia S2 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive
brittleware

Post by brittleware »

myglaren wrote:Same here with my C5. Would indicate coolant overtemperature for a few minutes after starting from cold then drop to normal after a couple of minutes.
New sensor fixed it and improved performance.
I've fitted a new sensor. Wife is now out road testing* the thing - which right after fitting declared an anti-pollution fault! (Not an unusual event, I'm hoping that the new sender/sensor does a better job of fuelling via engine management)

*She had to use the car before I could test
Citroen 2cv
Citroen 2.5 Safari
Citroen XM 3.0 V6
Citroen XM 2.0 turbo
Fiat Ulysse 2.2Hdi
brittleware

Post by brittleware »

Sorry for the delay - the new sender cured the problem, and I suspect got the BSI fuelling the motor much better. Still having the occasional anti-pollution fault message, but thinks it's the EGR valve. New one sitting here in garage, but looks like a horrible job!
Citroen 2cv
Citroen 2.5 Safari
Citroen XM 3.0 V6
Citroen XM 2.0 turbo
Fiat Ulysse 2.2Hdi