Rear shocks and springs replacement

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

MPV

Rear shocks and springs replacement

Post by MPV »

I think the rear springs have gone on my Synergie, as the slightest load and the exhaust bangs on the trailing arm and even unloaded, other drivers think my lights are on full beam when they are not. I can't see a break in the springs, but they are very rusty and all the plastic coating has peeled away with quite a bit of metal.

I've bought new shocks and springs to put on, but I don't have a maintenance manual. Has anyone done this before? Is there anything I need to watch out for? Do I need to take all the internal trim off to get to the top of the shock absorber mounting? I asked a garage and they wanted £100 plus to do the job, which seems a bit excessive...they said it was more than 2 hours work, but I would have thought it could be done in less than an hour by a trained person.
Synergie XUD9 - the "Duck-billed-clatterbus"
citronut
My Cars:

Re: Rear shocks and springs replacement

Post by citronut »

looking on service citroen it looks like a very easy job,

without seeing in the flesh i wouls say unbolt the shockers and the arms will drop dopwn at the back end pivoting on the front mounting bolts,

then the springs lift away as they are just held in place by the length of the shockers stopping the rear of the arms going down past a certain point
Regards, malcolm.

current ride a BX 1.7 TZD estate
1986 MK1 BX 1.9na D Auto(in Mothman Andy's stable )
layed up roppy 1.9TD XANT estate, now gone to meet her maker
purple and lilac metalic 2CV(VIOLET)registered to her in doors
1972 DS special been layed up aprox 31 years
MPV

Post by MPV »

Thanks for the reply. The bit I'm most worried about getting to is where the shocks bolt onto the body at the top...does this mean taking loads of trim apart to get to the loacking nut?
Synergie XUD9 - the "Duck-billed-clatterbus"
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

not had the pleasure on a Synergie but on service citroen both top and bottom shocker bolts run horizontally,

so best get under there with a torch and see if you can see the top bolt's/heads
Regards, malcolm.

current ride a BX 1.7 TZD estate
1986 MK1 BX 1.9na D Auto(in Mothman Andy's stable )
layed up roppy 1.9TD XANT estate, now gone to meet her maker
purple and lilac metalic 2CV(VIOLET)registered to her in doors
1972 DS special been layed up aprox 31 years