Xantia Wiring

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

BonceChops
My Cars:

Xantia Wiring

Post by BonceChops »

Hi,
I have been having fun getting wires from under the bonnet to the boot for my 12S socket on the towbar. Has anyone found an easy way to get from the engine bay into the car? Without drilling holes [:D]
Neil
cleaner

Post by cleaner »

I had the same problem trying to get my car amplifier power cable in the cabin. I gave up on it and took the car to a garage so here's how they did it (this is for a left-hand-drive xantia) :
1. put your suspension on HI setting
2. working on the inside of the left mudguard, undo the plastic shield
3. open the hood and fit the cable through the hole and over the mudguard all the way to the driver door. Make a hole big enough to fit the wires through the rubber hose leading from the chassis to the door
4. undo the part of facia under the steering wheel and locate the hole next to the fusebox
(for a right-hand I'd try first by removing the carpet on passenger side and if you really stretch you should be able to feel the hole)
5. undo the carpets by pulling the rubber band on the doorstep and lay the wires beneath
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

I know the object is not to pierce the bulkhead so as to minimise noise but I would have thought that you could have led the wire through a hole in the floor without upsetting things too much. - After all if there's not much noise on the outside of the hole, there's not much noise to get through it. The problem is finding something to attach the cable too without having to drill a row of holes for clips.
jeremy
cleaner

Post by cleaner »

jeremy: the real problem really is finding a convenient spot with enough toom to reach in with a drilling machine and at the same time not damaging any of the vital parts ;)
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

thats why I suggested the floor, You can attack it either from above or below, just make sur there is nothing the other side. I don't know how Xantia carpets are fastened but generally the side trim will release enough carpet to get a drill in. Nearer the centre has the advantage that there is less water splash to cause damp problems.
Bodgers would make the hole with a punch. I'm sure you're not one of them.
jeremy
cleaner

Post by cleaner »

I wouldnt touch the floor unless yuu want a complementary waterworks ;)
Plus, Neil asked for a drill-less operation.
BonceChops
My Cars:

Post by BonceChops »

Hi Cleaner,
Thats just about how I did it but on a right hand drive.
Under the wheel arch plastic guarg I found a rubber grommet, from here I could pass cables to the rubber from door pillar to door and then under the glove box.
What a job just for 3 wires.
I almost put a 20mm holesaw through the bulkhead but thought better off it [:D]
Neil
JohnD
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: 2010 Citroen C5-X7 tourer
1998 Citroen Saxo 1.5D
2018 Citroen C4-B7
1998 Peugeot 306. 1.9D
2011 Citroen C1

Post by JohnD »

When I wanted to take three 17amp cables from the engine compartment to the boot of my Xantia estate, after they left the new fuse box, I put then into a piece of plastic tubing. They then passed down the back of the engine, going to the driver's side (RHD). I removed the plastic trunking under the floor and placed the new wiring alongside the pipework. The trunking was replaced. At the back of the car I passed the three wires through a grommit into the boot. The wires then went into the righthand side cubby hole where I fitted the relays for fridge and charging.
BonceChops
My Cars:

Post by BonceChops »

I thought about going under the car but the challenge became getting them inside
[:D][:D][:D]