Xantia - leak from top cover on fuel pump

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Jaf
My Cars:

Xantia - leak from top cover on fuel pump

Post by Jaf »

Hi guys. Again. I've now got a fuel pump leak from the top cover. Taking the entire pump off to change the seal seems a bit involved so I'm wondering if anyone has any tips on changing the seal without removing the pump? I've got a seal kit as my dad has a VW T3.

Thanks, Jaf
Fred, a silver 1998 1.9TD SX Xantia.
Gwin, a white 1994 1.1 AX.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Re: Xantia - leak from top cover on fuel pump

Post by CitroJim »

Nope, it must come off Jaf. It'll be all but impossible to do in-situ and I'd never even risk/attempt it...

Is your pump armoured?
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Jaf
My Cars:

Post by Jaf »

Thanks Jim. Just been having a look and yes it's amoured. Sigh. Since the pump's behaved well apart from this leak I guess it's worth getting the amour off and changing the seal rather than change the pump with a second-hand one with no history. I'm sure it's easy to remove the pump once you've done it once! Still had a look in the haynes and the job looks straightforward enough.

Any tips the haynes might have missed?

Thanks.
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

Perhaps combine it with cambelt and water pump change?
1.9TD+ SX Xantia Estate (Cassy) running on 100% veg
1.9TD SX Xantia Hatchback (Jenny) running on 100% veg for sale
Laguna II 2.0dCi Privilege (Monty)

DIY sphere tool
falling-out-with-my-car
My Cars: Citroen C5 Aircross 8 speed Automatic, Flair Model with far to many toys and nice comfy armchair like leather seats. ha ha Ive just had a conversation with the car. setting everything up verbally

Post by falling-out-with-my-car »

I believe there is a special torx bit tool to remove the bolt behind the pump.

regards Nigel.
Citroen Xantia S2 1.9 TD estate 189K soon to be broken for parts Jan 2017 headlamps & radiator fan assembly already spoken for & A 1987 Citroen 2CV6 special just for fun.
New addition Citroen C5 2.0 HDi Exclusive Hatch purchased 09/12/2016 with 83K on the clock.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

falling-out-with-my-car wrote:I believe there is a special torx bit tool to remove the bolt behind the pump.
Can't think of one Nigel...

Mind, I'm getting on a bit now so the memory is not all it once was...

Jaf, just one. You need a little puller for the drive sprocket..

Here's one I made earlier...

The puller:

A diagram:

And the puller in use:

The engine and pump cradle as well as the car has been removed for clarity in the last picture...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Jaf
My Cars:

Post by Jaf »

Hi Xac, changed the cam belt 20,000kms ago, no history on the water pump. Will have a good look/ feel!

Nigel, hope not...the shops aren't open on Sunday if I can't find the right tool!

Jim, thanks, got something similar in the garage. If it doesn't fit thanks for the measurements, be lovely to make a tool to specs.

Back tomorrow with reports. And doubtless more questions.

Thanks again,

Night
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Jaf, a handy tool will be an 11mm and 133mm Crescent or 'half-moon' ring spanner to get at the lower flange nut on the pump. It's barely visible and not very spanner friendly but the 13mm end of a half-moon will do the trick... The 11mm end is good for the hidden and inaccessible bolt on the bulkhead side of the cambelt cover that hides behind the turbo hose...
Jim

Jaf
My Cars:

Post by Jaf »

Having a tea break. Lower 13mm nut on the pump missing! Ha! Very slow going but getting there. Back later...
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Jaf wrote:Lower 13mm nut on the pump missing!
That's bad and dangerous. Make sure you replace it when you reassemble... And use a serrated washer too.

You were lucky the other nuts didn't shake loose :) That's what usually happens when one is missing..

But, you can understand why - it's not the easiest nut in the world to get to...
Jim

Jaf
My Cars:

Post by Jaf »

Well been through several boxes of old bolts, no M7s. So had to stop, will pop to the shops tomorrow. Got the metal drilled ready for use.

No idea why the nut was missing, I'd say the pump has never been off as it all looks undisturbed. I suppose it just rattled itself off! I will of course put a new nut on, hopefully get it tight enough.

My last question of the night: Any clues as to how to get the turbo air pipe off? I've got to the 10mm nut holding the pipe to the next bit of pipe at the back of the engine and everything else is off. Do I just keep shaking it? I can just about get the pump free without taking the pipe off I think but I'd like to change the rocker cover gasket too (been on my list of things to do).

Thanks!
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

M7 is an unusual size Jaf..

If push comes to shove you can 'borrow' a couple of bolts out of the gearbox - the ones that attach the gearbox case proper to the bell-housing. You should be able to pop a couple out and back in again with no ill effects; take them from well apart though and not two next-door to each other...

That was the source of the bolts I use with mine...

No need to remove the turbo air pipe as far as I can recall and I just can't think now how it comes off. been a while since I did this job on a 1.9TD now and the brain has gone to sleep...
Jim

Jaf
My Cars:

Post by Jaf »

Help! Trying to get the armour off. Got the bolts out (chiseled them off). There's a pin (like brake pad pin) at the back of the pump. How does it come off, can I knock it in?

Thanks!
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

Jaf wrote:Help! Trying to get the armour off. Got the bolts out (chiseled them off). There's a pin (like brake pad pin) at the back of the pump. How does it come off, can I knock it in?

Thanks!
cut a slot with a cutting disc above and in the same line as the roll pin runs then you can prize it out, as its in a blind hole, so will only go out the hole it went in through
Regards, malcolm.

current ride a BX 1.7 TZD estate
1986 MK1 BX 1.9na D Auto(in Mothman Andy's stable )
layed up roppy 1.9TD XANT estate, now gone to meet her maker
purple and lilac metalic 2CV(VIOLET)registered to her in doors
1972 DS special been layed up aprox 31 years
Jaf
My Cars:

Post by Jaf »

Jim, Malcolm, thanks again for your excellent advice. Got the armour off finally. Changed the seals, put it back on the car. Must have done something wrong though as she starts but the accelerator doesn't work! Guessing accelerator assembly didn't go quite right inside the pump. So off it comes again. Unless there's something electrical that could stop it? There's something electric housed inside the armour, something to do with the stop solinoid? But I assume it's not that as she'll start and tickover. Arrggghhh!