Xantia Steering Wheel Removal

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

surfer
My Cars:

Xantia Steering Wheel Removal

Post by surfer »

Hi,
I need to replace some of the bulbs behind the dash of my Xantia.
I seem to remember reading somewhere on here that if you have an adjustable steering wheel column, you can do this without removing the wheel first.
I don't think this is right, but before I get on with removing the air bag etc, can somebody please tell me what size socket is needed to remove the steering wheel retaining nut? I'd like to have it to hand before starting this job.
Thanks a lot,
Simon
muunster1
My Cars:

Post by muunster1 »

the steering wheel does not have to come of the remove the insrument panel . it is tight takes a little persuding but does come out easier than messing with that airbag .
Dave Burns
My Cars:

Post by Dave Burns »

Personaly I would rather have the airbag out of the way to be safe, if it should deploy while you are yanking wires about in there it can easily be fatal, then it doesn't matter how many bulbs are blown in the dash, you'll never see'em.
Bag is held on by T30 screws and the wheel needs a 21mm socket IIRC but not 100% sure.
Dave
Gaz
My Cars:

Post by Gaz »

I thought I'd drag this old message up to ask another question. I did all my instrumentation lights yesterday without removing my steering wheel (non airbag) but I did actually undo the steering wheel nut before I realised I didn't need to. Without a torque wrench, the 30Nm was achived by tightening it up FT. My qustion now might sound a bit daft, the wheel is attached by splines isn't it?, and then the nut stops it from coming away. I had this horrible thought last night that it could have been a taper, what with the lock nut, french engineering ideas and all. Can somebody please put my mind at rest and tell me that doing the steering wheel nut up FT was ok and that it is actually on a spline. (haven't got my Haynes book of lies with me). Thanks Gaz
'93 Xantia 1.9TD SX 213k (non airbag, adjustable steering)
Dave Burns
My Cars:

Post by Dave Burns »

Tapered spline, just prey you don't need to remove it any time soon[:D]
Dave
Gaz
My Cars:

Post by Gaz »

Dave, why would that be? I take it from that that you think doing it up FT will stick it fast. I haven't taken the wheel off so hopefully the tightening of the nut wouldn't of actually tightened the spline. Other than that its ok to leave it like that then? Thanks Gaz
Dave Burns
My Cars:

Post by Dave Burns »

The more force you use to drive matching tapers together, the more force will be required to seperate them again.
Dave