How reliable is YOUR XM??

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

citroenxm
My Cars: M reg Xm S2 2.1td Auto Exclusive. 269k and rising
L reg XM S1 V6 12v Manual SEi
L 94 XM 2.1 TD auto total resto

2008 Peugeot 207 Sw 1.6 16v hdi. 217k and rising
2010 Peugeot 207 SW 1.6 8v HDi 161k and rising

How reliable is YOUR XM??

Post by citroenxm »

Well.. For those people who THINK the XM is unreliable, well Ive just read a shock report in the Telegraph Online..

When your stuck at home, house bound you'll do anything to pass the time, anyway, I have the motoring section of the Telegraph book marked because some rather interesting stories DO turn up, not least this one.

They have got the top 10 LEAST Reliable cars.. the list is shocking.. The MORE Points they have the worse they are..

10. Citroen XM with 438 points
09. Land Rover RANGE Rover. 2002 on with 442 points
08. Porsche 911 2001 to 06 with 442 points
07. Bentley Continental GT 2003 on. with 490 points
06. Audi A6 Allroad 2000 - 2005 with 502 points
05. Mercedez CL 2000 - 2007 with 512 points
04. Mercedez V Class (Van) 1996 - 2004 with 547 points
03 Mercedez SL convertible 2002 with 555 points
02. BMW M5 2004 to 2011 with 717 points

and the shock top spot for least reliable car goes to..

01. Audi RS6 2002 - 2011 with 1,282 points

Sooo whos laughing now! The XM is the most reliable least reliable car!! Funny thing is most of the list is german, which the press would have has the best metal in the world.....

Whos laughing now!

(Repeated on XM Fourm's (.co.uk when she returns) for those who dont visit here)
Sharing a pug 207 1.6 hdi Sw 16v.
M reg Xm 2.1 td auto exclusive S2 269k and rising
L reg XM V6 12v SEi auto .. Light project

A very sad...
1994 XM 2.1 d auto
spider
My Cars: Soon, I hope...

Re: How reliable is YOUR XM??

Post by spider »

:-k I sometimes wonder though how points are allocated and the type of clientèle who would expect certain things to not fail, as an example on a Bentley a loose trim would score badly but in reality its not a 'serious' concern, if that makes sense.
Andy.

91 205D-Turbo, gone but still missed
02 106D, TUD5B, gone but not really missed apart from the MPG
citroenxm
My Cars: M reg Xm S2 2.1td Auto Exclusive. 269k and rising
L reg XM S1 V6 12v Manual SEi
L 94 XM 2.1 TD auto total resto

2008 Peugeot 207 Sw 1.6 16v hdi. 217k and rising
2010 Peugeot 207 SW 1.6 8v HDi 161k and rising

Post by citroenxm »

Maybe but if your paying upward of 80k plus for a car you don't want anything to come off... you can get a house for the price of some of those cars.. my point is for the xm to be top of that list is really something.. a bentley boy wouldn't even look twice or once at an xm...
Sharing a pug 207 1.6 hdi Sw 16v.
M reg Xm 2.1 td auto exclusive S2 269k and rising
L reg XM V6 12v SEi auto .. Light project

A very sad...
1994 XM 2.1 d auto
spider
My Cars: Soon, I hope...

Post by spider »

True. Although there's never such a thing as 100% reliability though, and I think as complexity increases that figure will not...

I think the point I was making ( I think you know though :) ) is what would make a luxury car owner scream vs what would make a city hatchback owner scream, completely different things...

EDIT... But yes I see you're point, for a large luxury car class the XM has done quite well. :)
Andy.

91 205D-Turbo, gone but still missed
02 106D, TUD5B, gone but not really missed apart from the MPG
daviemck2006
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: Far too many good ones to remember. Many BL, Vauxhall, Ford, Renault, Citroen, Peugeot, and now VAG

Post by daviemck2006 »

German build quality is almost non existent IMHO. I owned, not so long ago a merc V230. A vito van with windows and posh trim. It turned into the rustiest heap of junk I had ever seen, air suspension failed was quoted thousands to repair, eventually ripped all the air gubbins out and put in springs and shocks from a van, cracked cylinder head, complete wiring loom gave up the ghost amongst a whole load of other issues. The age of this beast was 1997, I had it in 2004 with 96000 miles when I bought it, 101k when I sold at a huge loss 8 months later. Just to make me madder as I remember this I traded in a 1998 pug806 1.9td for that heap :evil: :evil: :evil:

Now I work in an airport car park where we park all the cars and have them started for their owners on their return. We do a damage report with lots of photos for every vehicle that comes in before we move them. The rustiest cars I see? VW golf closely followed by passat and then audi a4 and a3. The state of some of them at 5 o 6 years old is ridiculous. The cars that wont start and need jump started? BMW and mercs. What have I never seen broken down or very rusty? Cits and pugs. Cant see me ever owning another german again
Skoda Karoq 1.6tdi 2018
Citroen relay camper 2012
In the family
Seat Leon 1.5tsi tourer 2019 daughter 1
C1 vtr+ 2010 daughter 2
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Well that's not bad then. There was I thinking the XM was the least reliable. Good to see it's only just made the top ten :P

Interesting that the top 8 are all Jerrymobiles and that we're all led to believe they're the most reliable of the lot... Umm, well...

It's interesting the only bit that fails on a Xantia V6 for instance is the German bit - the ZF gearbox...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Citroenmad
My Cars: 07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
07 Citroen C5 HDi VTR - Red
09 Citroen C3 1.4i VTR - Silver
01 Citroen Saxo 1.1i Forte - Mango Orange
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10

Post by Citroenmad »

Until recent developments, XMs had been faultlessly reliable for us, all five of them. However they are getting on a little now, which doesn't help reliability but then you can blame that on their age if they do go wrong.

Im not surprised to see so many high end German cars on there, they really do not deserve the good reliability reputation which follows them.
Chris
07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
07 Citroen C5 HDi VTR - Red
09 Citroen C3 1.4i VTR - Silver
01 Citroen Saxo 1.1i Forte - Mango Orange
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10
andmcit
My Cars:

Post by andmcit »

You realise Paul, you could've run a thread called "How reliable is YOUR XM forum?"

:lol: ;)
Nothing moves you like a Citroën
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

andmcit wrote:You realise Paul, you could've run a thread called "How reliable is YOUR XM forum?"
:lol: :lol: :lol: That did make me giggle Andrew! On current form the cars are more reliable...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
ashy90

Post by ashy90 »

daviemck2006 wrote:
Now I work in an airport car park where we park all the cars and have them started for their owners on their return. We do a damage report with lots of photos for every vehicle that comes in before we move them. The rustiest cars I see? VW golf closely followed by passat and then audi a4 and a3. The state of some of them at 5 o 6 years old is ridiculous. The cars that wont start and need jump started? BMW and mercs. What have I never seen broken down or very rusty? Cits and pugs. Cant see me ever owning another german again

I have to say that is very hard to believe. Not dis-believing you, but I think VW rust protection is fairly good, with the Golf being OK rust wise.

I would have thought the rustiest 'semi-modern' cars would be the likes of Ford, Mercedes and perhaps the odd Nissan and BMW 3 series.
vince
My Cars:

Post by vince »

Working in the car parts business, the fact is that most old cars would score higher on a reliability test against newer cars. Cars have become dramatically less reliable from around 1998 onwards. Yes german cars now are ridiculously poor in comparison to times gone by, but also later french stuff is just the same. Jap stuff is still doing well, but overall its really a poor state of affairs.

For the price of some of the failing parts on newer vehicles you could keep an older vehicle on the road for years!

I cannot see me owning a newer vehicle anytime soon as it riles me just how poor they are!

The league of unreliability shocks me somewhat as there are some big money cars on there..... For me if i bought a bentley i would want it to be bomb proof! its as close to old school hand built as you get nowadays, i guess the problem is the quality of the parts its built with :wink:
1993 Citroen xm 2.1td, silver/grey, bowling ball wheel trims, 210k and climbing...