Noise from the rear wheel?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

kentc5
My Cars:

Noise from the rear wheel?

Post by kentc5 »

Hello guys,

This is for my Xantia... if I take a turn usually right turn with 70mph on the motorway ... I will hear a kind of humming noise from the rear driver side wheel.
If I take the corner with less speed it will not make the noise, if I take with more I cannot remember :( :( ...
the sound, sounds like the car has 4 wheel steering and the rubber rubs on the body .... but I am sure it cannot be the case as there are no marks on the tyre lol ...
Also when this happens the car does not vibrate or anything else... it is only a noise.

Cheers
Current Cars:
Citroen Xantia 3.0 V6 Exclusive ('98)
Alfa Romeo 166 2.0TS ('03)
Audi A6 C6 2.4 V6 SE ('05)
BMW 735i Individual M-Pack ('00)
Lexus GS300SE Navigator ('98)
Toyota Prius T-Spirit ('04)
Xaccers
My Cars:

Re: Noise from the rear wheel?

Post by Xaccers »

Rear hub bearing?
Cassy had it happen to her O/S one.
1.9TD+ SX Xantia Estate (Cassy) running on 100% veg
1.9TD SX Xantia Hatchback (Jenny) running on 100% veg for sale
Laguna II 2.0dCi Privilege (Monty)

DIY sphere tool
Chlorate
My Cars:

Post by Chlorate »

Funnily enough the Xantia does have 4-wheel steering (of sorts), although It wouldn't be causing this issue. I would also say the wheel bearing is a likely culprit.

Alex
Citroen Xantia Exclusive HDi

previously:
Citroen ZX Volcane - RIP
Peugeot 106 XN... stolen and destroyed by Kent Police :evil:
kentc5
My Cars:

Post by kentc5 »

Is that a big job to do for my self... does anyone know to point to a hot to guide of some sort? :( :(
Current Cars:
Citroen Xantia 3.0 V6 Exclusive ('98)
Alfa Romeo 166 2.0TS ('03)
Audi A6 C6 2.4 V6 SE ('05)
BMW 735i Individual M-Pack ('00)
Lexus GS300SE Navigator ('98)
Toyota Prius T-Spirit ('04)
Chlorate
My Cars:

Post by Chlorate »

Reasonably simple, the only sticking point would be getting the brake caliper off. I've seen a few posts here that say they can be a real 'mare to unbolt, having not attempted to remove them from mine I can't really advise. (anyone?)

Apart from that, the only special tool you'll need is a decent puller to get the hub off the stub axle.

For whatever reason the bearings themselves aren't renewable, but the hub and bearing assembly is available for basically the same price as a new bearing (about £40 on ebay).
Citroen Xantia Exclusive HDi

previously:
Citroen ZX Volcane - RIP
Peugeot 106 XN... stolen and destroyed by Kent Police :evil:
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

You're spot-on with the depth of the job Chlorate :-D

The caliper can be a right 'mare but with care, attention and some patience and delicacy it's often OK more than it's not. Also, being an Estate the bolts are bigger and a little less prone to shearing...

There's some good threads on caliper removal Kent and one long one in particular will tell you all you need to know and a bit more besides...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

Hello Kent,

In my first Xantia I had a squealing noise whenever I had a heavy load, and I found it was the rear bearings. Replacing them solved that problem.

When you first posted with your Xantia estate, I made several replies. The last one I did was re the caliper corrosion issues known to affect the Xantias and C5s, with a link to the best way to resolve it (with pictures of the steps taken on a Xantia by CitroJim). If you have to replace the rear hubs, you will have to take off the calipers, so I would take the time to sort out the corrosion (if it exists).

There is something I intend to do soon, and that is to make a couple of gaskets (out of a plastic bottle, unless experts say otherwise) to fit between the calipers and the trailing arms to try and prevent a re-occcurance of the problem.
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

I think a plastic bottle may be too thick. Some thin polythene or greased paper might be better.