For the Xantia enthusiasts - S1 or S2 ?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Which era Xantia do you prefer? Tell us why in the thread.

Really early Mk1 with chevrons on the bonnet
16%
Mk1 with chevrons on the grill
36%
Mk2 with chevrons and grill as part of the bonnet
32%
I love them all
16%
I prefer Renaults and have just walking into the wrong neighbourhood...
No votes

Total votes: 25

airhead_eire
My Cars:

For the Xantia enthusiasts - S1 or S2 ?

Post by airhead_eire »

As the title suggests, which era Xantia do you prefer and why, pre '98 or the series 2 model ?
Xaccers
My Cars:

Re: For the Xantia enthusiasts - S1 or S2 ?

Post by Xaccers »

I've added a poll :)

Mk1 with chevrons on the grill for me.
On the bonnet just looks wrong, a bit like off centre ones of the BX and Mk1 XM (I think), and early Renaults. Plays havoc with my OCD.
MK1 have in my opinion better headlights, with the relay mod and decent bulbs granted. They also have places on top to put your nuts and bolts whilst working on the car.
The grab bar is more practical, and Danielle is only ickle so an air bag wouldn't be much help anyway.
Things are simpler on the Mk1, there are more 1.9TDs made as Mk1s, the interior light door switches are easy to maintain, the rear window heater switch is in a sensible place, no TRAFFIC MASTER, and they look better too.

Mk2's don't have much going for them really. Even their younger age doesn't mean a better condition body, more Mk2s seem to rust in the rear wheel arch join (even hatch backs), and the rear n/s quarter.
The really late ones with the fold down radio cover is a nice feature, reminds me of the 405, but unfortunately after using a massive airline to inflate the sides of the 405 to make the ugly 406, it appears PSA had some air left over and applied it to the Xantia's bumpers ruining the look of the car.

Still, at least they look better than any of the C5's
1.9TD+ SX Xantia Estate (Cassy) running on 100% veg
1.9TD SX Xantia Hatchback (Jenny) running on 100% veg for sale
Laguna II 2.0dCi Privilege (Monty)

DIY sphere tool
Citroenmad
My Cars: 07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
07 Citroen C5 HDi VTR - Red
09 Citroen C3 1.4i VTR - Silver
01 Citroen Saxo 1.1i Forte - Mango Orange
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10

Post by Citroenmad »

Mk1 with chevrons in the girll for me too. Ideally an Activa, V6 or 2.1TD to get the wider front wings and deeper front bumper. The best looking Xantia in my opinion! Maybe with a spoiler too.

I do like the Mk2 though, a very nice looking car and the front is quite sleek. In some ways I prefer it to the MK1, however overall, the later Mk1s get my vote.
Chris
07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10
citroenxm
My Cars: M reg Xm S2 2.1td Auto Exclusive. 269k and rising
L reg XM S1 V6 12v Manual SEi
L 94 XM 2.1 TD auto total resto

2008 Peugeot 207 Sw 1.6 16v hdi. 217k and rising
2010 Peugeot 207 SW 1.6 8v HDi 161k and rising

Post by citroenxm »

Ive not voted because i like them all..

not sure how you think s1 headlights are better then s2? s1 lamps are useless .. certainly on the ones ive driven.. yet all the s2 ones ive driven they have all had superior headlights..

Im dooing an s1 up and i moved it in the dark last week. headlights? what lights.. hopeless.. Im changing the whole lamps for better looking ones in a hope i don't need to advertise it needing a torch to drive at night..

S2 never have a problem with needing a relay mod either so there's another plus..

your argument for putting stuff when working on them is a little agreed under the bonnet.. but as far as dervs go with the hdi there's no need to work under there that often at all...

if i had to really choose for me... S2 ..

Yes tm is a pain but i have been informed that it is muteable .. by the removal of the power to it. so that argument is null and void now aswell..
Sharing a pug 207 1.6 hdi Sw 16v.
M reg Xm 2.1 td auto exclusive S2 269k and rising
L reg XM V6 12v SEi auto .. Light project

A very sad...
1994 XM 2.1 d auto
andmcit
My Cars:

Post by andmcit »

Citroenmad wrote:Mk1 with chevrons in the girll for me too. Ideally an Activa, V6 or 2.1TD to get the wider front wings and deeper front bumper. The best looking Xantia in my opinion! Maybe with a spoiler too.

I do like the Mk2 though, a very nice looking car and the front is quite sleek. In some ways I prefer it to the MK1, however overall, the later Mk1s get my vote.

I'd say the very same as Chris really.

For a few quid or a Xmas pressie you guys want one of these:

Clarke MPT2 - Magnetic Parts Tray
http://www.machinemart.co.uk/shop/produ ... parts-tray" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I would say the s1's I have all have great headlights mind. I've had one which had visibly brighter
lenses which was like driving in daylight although none others match it!
Nothing moves you like a Citroën
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

S1 with Chevrons on the grille for me too. They represent the best of the Xantia..

I have one such and I also have an early S2. There's some bits of the S2 with are Ok but there's nothing amazingly better and a few things worse - the only thing wonderful on an S2 is the automatic wipers. Bad bits are the seats (not as comfy in my humble), 'facelift' styling (the S1 looks far nicer in my humble) and poorer build quality which manifests itself in rust and an appetite for PAS supply pipes - rare problems on an S1.

The lights are no better than an S1. Do the relay mod and they're actually much better on an S1.

The removal of the inertia lap belt on the rear seat in the S2 is unforgivable...

In conclusion, the S1 is the one to have but in no way at all is the S2 a bad car. The above is a bit of nit-picking really.

If you must have an S2, have an early one before they fitted Trafficmaster!
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

andmcit wrote: For a few quid or a Xmas pressie you guys want one of these:
I hope you're getting a good commission rate for advertising those Andrew... Mind the mods - that could be construed as commercial advertising which on this forum is strictly barred :lol: :lol: I hope they don't ban you for it :wink:

Mind you, a magnetic tray is a godsend on many occasions I find...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
airhead_eire
My Cars:

Post by airhead_eire »

I haven't voted myself as I'm quite undecided !
Well, that made very interesting reading. There seems to be alot of favour towards the S1 interestingly enough.
I thought that maybe the S2 would be the more popular type due to the option to have the HDi motor.
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

I preferred the chevrons on the bonnet and over that the BX offset bonnet chevrons.

There's always one, isn't there :roll:
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

airhead_eire wrote: I thought that maybe the S2 would be the more popular type due to the option to have the HDi motor.
Indeed.. The HDi is the top choice of engine and there's much regret it was not available as an S1. The V6 as the other choice engine was, for a very shot time, available as an S1 and I still reckon the S1 V6 is a better car overall than the S2 V6. An S1 HDi would have been brilliant...
Jim

airhead_eire
My Cars:

Post by airhead_eire »

Aesthetically, I started out liking the S2 more. But as time goes by I think I prefer the S1 more.
Probably because it reminds me of the XM (which I love !).
I do agree that the S1 V6 looks fantastic.
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

I've updated the poll so it's reset the votes.

Those magnetic trays are OK, but what if you have plastic bits you need keeping seperate?

If your Mk1 has bad headlights, chances are you need to do the relay mod, fit good bulbs and adjust them. It's amazing to see how many have been adjusted right down low.

If you're sticking with derv then the hdi makes sense (unless something goes wrong), but it can't compete with the 1.9TD when it comes to fuel costs on veg.
1.9TD+ SX Xantia Estate (Cassy) running on 100% veg
1.9TD SX Xantia Hatchback (Jenny) running on 100% veg for sale
Laguna II 2.0dCi Privilege (Monty)

DIY sphere tool
red_dwarfers
(Donor 2020)
My Cars:

Post by red_dwarfers »

I've put down S1 with chevrons on the grille. I'm not really in a place to comment too much as I've only driven S1s. I prefer the looks of the S1, separate compartments for putting various bits on the headlights and the horn on the stalk.
Kev

'19 C4 Cactus 130 Flair
Citroenmad
My Cars: 07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10

Post by Citroenmad »

I find the headlights on my S1 Activa very good, even driving on motorways in poor weather at night they are fine. My S2 has the headlight relay mod and they are slightly better than the S1s lights but not by much. Neither are as good as my C5s though.

However, my old V6s headlights were very poor. I was considering putting in two glowworms instead of the bulbs. I did wonder if they were turned on at all. Had I of kept the car that would have been something I would have looked at improving.

A few things I like about the S2 over the S1: Remote plipper is of the more conventional radio type and so works futher away. The auto wipers. The glovebox which has cupholders (though only of use when stationary) and it can be locked.

I much prefer the steering wheel on the S1, mainly due to the radio buttons which I find are in a too exposed place on the S2. I can be driving along and without intention the music I was listening too is long gone as I've knocked the frequency button or some such. I'm not sure why the S2 should have its heated rear window button on the end of the wiper stalk, I'm still having to think where it is for a second when its needed :lol: I prefer the location of the sport mode button on the S1. Though there seems to be two colours of lights on those buttons on the S1. My Activa has an orange glow but the V6 was green. The S1 has a nicer looking dash in my opinion and I like the three buttons on the top which light green (AC), Amber (heated rear window) and red, Hazards). Its the little things! But then really they are the same car ...

I like my S2 for having a sunroof, I wich my Activa had one really. Though should it pack up or leak, I would rather be without one.

Overall, there is very little between them!
Chris
07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

My preference for all Citroens is for the S1 variant. GS rather than GSA, early DS rather than the later DS and so on...

The only exception is the XM where the S1.5 is the better choice over the S1 for the improved electrics and Hydractive 2.
Jim