Glow Plug Replacement

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

blueboy2001

Glow Plug Replacement

Post by blueboy2001 »

I'm doing the Glow Plugs on the Xantia, first 3 will be fine but the infamous one behind the pump looks a bit troublesome.
On my car the main obstacle is the coolant pipe that enters the head next to the plug. Whoever fitted it has wrapped it round the plug so you can't get at the plug. Dave B suggested in another post removing the fuel line but that seems to be well out the way on my car.
Am I ok to remove the coolant pipe, and how likely is it to spray coolant everywhere? I don't really want to drain the coolant as I've already had the pleasure of that job about 3 months ago.
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

Well [:)]
Dismantling any of the coolant hoses - means some spillage.
There's no reason to drain all the coolant - as you only need the level in the whole system to drop below that hose in question.
If the hose is located rather high compared to the radiator filler cap - it won't be L's you have to drain.
Removing the filler cap instantly releases any remaining pressure - avoiding a spray - on the other hand a totally cold engine will have a small vacuum in the coolant system - thus leaving the cap on - it helps against too much coolant flowing out.
Dave Burns
My Cars:

Post by Dave Burns »

You'll be talking about the pipe that fits on to the square cap thats screwed to the head I take it, if so I would only remove it as a last resort, the aluminium spiggot that the pipe fits on is well known to corrode badly, upsetting it will likely as not cause a persistant leak and may require a replacement cap, I have known the spiggot to break off completely as the pipe wall corrodes away and becomes very thin.
I remove the fuel pipe to improve access down to the plug, you need all the space you can make if you are not to fumble about for ages trying to get the nut on, and looking for lost nuts and spanners that you have dropped.
Dave