xm timing belt

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

franciscolunn
My Cars:

xm timing belt

Post by franciscolunn »

stupid question but WHY oh WHY does my local independant cit garage want to charge me £42 for a timing belt for my 2.1 xm and i can buy the same for £13.50 +vat at andyspares,he says he wouldnt touch andyspares and europarts with a barge pole but in the corner of his garage are newly delivered boxes from.... you quessed it...won't say anymore, suffice it to say i go elsewhere my friend.
XM 2.1
bx tgd
bx gti
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

Well -
Genuine parts from Citroen have the double chevron logo.
And genuine Wrangler jeans have the Wrangler logo.
And genuine ....... (continue at your own choise).
GSF offers OEM parts - same brand/type as found in boxes with Citroen double Chevron logo - but the double chevrons ARE MISSING.
That's why the parts are cheaper from GSF [:D][:D]
Any Citroen, Mercedes, BMW, VW - you name it - nechanic would name all other but branded parts as S*****.
Even though they purchase these parts themselves.
It's business - not logic [xx(]
JohnD
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: 2010 Citroen C5-X7 tourer
1998 Citroen Saxo 1.5D
2018 Citroen C4-B7
1998 Peugeot 306. 1.9D
2011 Citroen C1

Post by JohnD »

Whether you buy your belt from Citroen or Peugeot or Andyspares, you'll be buying a Dayco belt. Citroen parts departments charge £42 because that's what they add to the bill, plus an inflated labour charge when ever they fit one.
franciscolunn
My Cars:

Post by franciscolunn »

i agree.. anders.. its business and considering a cambelt change is £220 at the garage for a 2.1 the difference from £16+ to £42 is not much its just the idea that one is being exploited and treated with contempt,,strong words i know but thats the way garages treat their customers in the uk now.