Xantia s2 lower engine mount replacement.

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

charentejohn
My Cars:

Xantia s2 lower engine mount replacement.

Post by charentejohn »

Has anyone ever managed this ? This is the 'donut' mounting which is part of the casting supporting the driveshaft bearing.
I had a friend with a lathe make me two cylinders, one to fit the bush and one to just fit outside the housing. We then put a threaded bar through and hoped to push it out. Not a chance, not a great quality threaded bar but it just stripped the threads in the end.
We also heated the casting using an electric paint stripper gun but not much help, maybe more heat would help ?

I think I read here that it can be cut out ? By removing the centre and using a hacksaw to split the ring that is left I assume. That should remove it with minimal damage to the casting. Trouble is this is an all or nothing approach, once the rubber is gone no turning back.
Next is pushing the new one in. Should be possible using the threaded bar idea to maintain pressure and tapping the rim to ease it in, using oil to ease it ?

Do garages have anything clever to remove this without removing the casting as I would rather not disturb the drive shaft unless necessary. A lot of dismantling for such a small part. I don't like messing if the car is running well, which it is. Shame they didn't fit this using a split casring (like con rod end) which could just unbolt.

I will be putting the car in to have the LHM fluid changed soon so may have this done at the same time. I would rather do it myself as it is one job I can do, hopefully, as I want to do all engine mounts.
The LHM I will let the garage do as I also want the rear sphere changed, so will need brakes bleeding. If a garage does it they know what they are doing and so should do it quickly, if I hit problems could take days to get bits etc. While it's there I will get them to do the lower mounting if is too difficult for the likes of me.
You must be the change you want to see in the world - Mahatma Gandhi
Xantia HDI 90SX C3 2005 and C3 2006 both 1.4i sensodrives
handyman
My Cars:

Re: Xantia s2 lower engine mount replacement.

Post by handyman »

I seem to remember that Citroen did a service tool to allow changing the rubber bush, but I do not think it was do-able in situ. I've only ever done one on the car, never again! All subsequent changes have been off the car, on a bench, as you need a press to fit a new one correctly, much easier and quicker.

You can cut out the old bush but it is a real phaff, no need once its on the bench. Get yourself a new seal for the diff and be careful when the shaft is out as you can loose the planetary gear in the diff. 8-[ 8-[ And use the correct BV gearbox oil when you top up.

H
jgra1
(Donor 2021)
My Cars: 2010 C5 X7 2.0 hdi 160 exc auto
MG TF 135
Boxer II 2.2 camper conversion
BMW R1200RT
BMW K1300 R
Honda V F R 800 5thG / MT500 Armstrong

Post by jgra1 »

agree with HM, I did one in situ.. was a particularly unsatisfying job.. the housing didnt suffer too much from splitting the outering using a saw, but I think it was hard to get new bush back in straight and wasnt that pretty either..
agree driveshaft off, get the housing in a bench.. you may well be able to get new bush in with a warm housing (oven?) and a decent vice..
one of those jobs where the seemingly most annoying way turns out to be the most straightforward.. as a lot of them are..
c.morewood
Donor 2023
My Cars: '00 Xantia 110 bhp Hdi SX Estate 65K "W"
'99 Xantia 110 bhp Hdi SX Estate 310K SORN "V"
'98 Xantia 1.9TD SX Estate 150K Sold "T"

Post by c.morewood »

Hear Hear.
It was a right bugger to get out .. ended up cutting it out with a hacksaw blade.
Fitting the new one looked fairly simple...I'd pre-warmed and greased the housing and pre-frozen the bush. I used a G - Clamp to try to press the bush in with limited success.. it kept slipping off..I gave up with the bush about 6 or 7 mm from the ideal position as it wasn't going to move any more.
Next time I'll pay to have it done.
Chris
Tesla Model 3 LR DM AWD Blue White
'00 Xant 110HdiSX Est 83K "W"
'99 Xant 110HdiSX Est 320K "V"
'98 Xant 1.9TDSX Est 150K "T"
'97 Xant 1.9TD 20k Est
'94 Fiat TipoTd 40K

'85 BMW K100RT 330K Garaged 26yrs '80 Honda CB250 twin Superdream
Bannedbiker
My Cars: 2003 Peugeot 307 1.6S
1997 Eunos Roadster

Post by Bannedbiker »

I seem to be the only one that didn't think it was too bad a job.
I did it the same time as changing the driveshafts so only had 4 or 5 more bolts holding to undo to change it on the bench.
I cut the old one out as well, seemed the easiest way to do it. I did mark the position of the bush so I fitted the new one in the same place.
The new bush was in the freezer overnight and the alloy bracket was in the oven for 15 minute on a low heat.
I used a large vice with a couple of spacers and it went in fairly easily.
I had thought about doing the job in situ but decided it wasn't worth the hassle.

Martin.
2003 Peugeot 307, 1.6 petrol.
Previously owned 1999 Citroen Xantia 1.9 td and a 1997 Citroen ZX 1.9
jgra1
(Donor 2021)
MG TF 135
BMW R1200RT
BMW K1300 R

Post by jgra1 »

I seem to be the only one that didn't think it was too bad a job.
:twisted:

that's because you took it off to do it..
Bannedbiker
My Cars: 2003 Peugeot 307 1.6S
1997 Eunos Roadster

Post by Bannedbiker »

:lol:
2003 Peugeot 307, 1.6 petrol.
Previously owned 1999 Citroen Xantia 1.9 td and a 1997 Citroen ZX 1.9
charentejohn
My Cars:

Post by charentejohn »

Thanks everyone, I think I see a theme developing here........... :)

Maybe I will just let the garage do it as they will have the car on a hoist, not grovelling under it while it is on ramps, and will have a press and more importantly will have done a few before.
Like Clint Eastwood said in one of his movies 'a man has to know his limitations'. Think he may be right.

I just like to think I could do it but it seems not worth the pain.
It is a pity it is necessary to remove the driveshaft to do it. Basically the car drives straight with no funny noises at the moment. Often after stuff has been disturbed problems can set in, it has spent 120k miles and I would guess the bearings feel they have just settled into a comfy chair in front of the telly. Then someone messes it all about.
jgra1
(Donor 2021)
MG TF 135
BMW R1200RT
BMW K1300 R

Post by jgra1 »

nah will all be ok.. a driveshaft removal wont cause any issues.. it seems a big deal but it isn't at all :)

think of it as changing a headlight bulb :-D
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

I haven't had to replace the mount, but based on what I have seen here, I would get a trusted garage to do it.

Changing the LHM, replacing the sphere, and bleeding the brakes is simple, if time consuming. If the sphere you are changing is the anti-sink one, with care it is easy. Changing the LHM fluid and bleeding the brakes is (I assure you) an absolute doddle. I have just this Sunday started Gracie on a hydraflush cycle, and removing and cleaning the reservoir, cleaning the filters, and bleeding the brakes took less than three hours (and this included replacing the two front bleed nipples and re-greasing the rear brakes with copper grease).

Here is a link (with pics) on changing the LHM/Hydraflush on a Xantia;

http://www.frenchcarforum.co.uk/forum/v ... =3&t=22491" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Here is another link, but this one includes instructions on bleeding the brakes as well;

http://www.frenchcarforum.co.uk/forum/v ... 22&t=24595" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

How many miles has your Xantia done? Citroen recommend doing a hydraflush cycle every 110K miles, to clean out the pipes, valves, etc. GSF do the hydraflush at under £32, either on ebay or they can order it into the branch. Once you have started a hydraflush cycle you should do between 500KM to 5000KM (I know, but Citroen are French, so they don't know any better!), and then go back to LHM for another 110K miles.
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
charentejohn
My Cars:

Post by charentejohn »

The car has done about 120k miles and the fluid is a light brown colour.
I didn't realise hydraflush was left in while driving, makes sense as how else would it reach the various corners of the system. I had thought it was like engine flush and removed after a few minutes.
Looks easy enough so I may try it, and have a garage do the engine mount as it will need a press to remove it I think.
I will look into the bit on the rear sphere as it may be worth doing it myself, just that it seems the worst one to do. No doubt why all others have been changed apart from that one.
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

With that milage, and the colour of the LHM, I definitely would run a hydraflush cycle. Once that has time to do its job, you have to go back to LHM, and that should be changed every 36K miles.

Hydraflush is a clear, slightly pinkish fluid. It does the same job as LHM, but with added "soap" effect. When my BX had done a cycle, what came out was as black as soot!
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
charentejohn
My Cars:

Post by charentejohn »

Sounds scary, but I will do it.
Even if I get a garage to do the rear accumulator sphere and LHM change it is worthe me doing a flush before that.
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

Remember, that for hydraflush to do its job, it must have done the minimum distance specified. Otherwise it will be a waste of time and money.

Have you considered asking the garage putting in the hydraflush? If they did the sphere, and changed the fluid, you can monitor the milometer to know when enough distance will be covered for the hydraflush cycle to have cleaned out the pipework. Gracie is currently on 127K miles, so when she hits 130K miles I know that it will be time to go back to LHM. You could then either get the garage to change the fluid again, or do it yourself.

If you have not done a fluid change yourself then I would seriously consider doing it at least once, so you will have gained the experience/knowledge to do it yourself if you have to.

Remember that the pneumatic system drives the brakes and steering as well as the suspension.
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+