Hydroflush worth a go?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

cc101

Hydroflush worth a go?

Post by cc101 »

Hi all, I'm still trying to get my xantia to ride better, as previous threads, literally everything has been done but still getting a hard ride even after setting the ride height properly with measurements and tape measure so it's spot on.

Is hydroflush worth a shot as the lhm was changed only a few weeks ago!

Cheers, Chris.
Xantia 1.9 TD 1993 (sinker)
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Re: Hydroflush worth a go?

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

I would have to say yes to this. Citroen themselves advise changing the LHM every 36000 miles, and every third change to do a hydraflush cycle (about 108,000 miles). They have accepted that, even with the best will in the world, crud will build up in the pipework. The hydraflush is designed to break this loose, so it allows the fluid to pass through more easily. This crud should then end up in the reservior (and suspended in the fluid) so that at the end of the cycle the pipes, valves, etc. will be clear and moving freely, ready for LHM fluid again.

Imagine, if you will, a central heating system. Over time, limescale builds up, restricting the flow, and clogging and jamming moving parts. A Fernox cycle counters this. The hydraflush cycle is the same thing.

GSF do hydraflush for under £32. I know, as I have just started Gracie on a hydraflush cyle today. You can get it from them on ebay, or they will order it in for you at your nearest branch. I doubt Citroen carry it, as they don't use LHM any more, but a different fluid, LDS. After I ran my previous Xantia on a cycle, and changed the spheres (they needed it, they were rock hard) the ride (and steering) was much smoother.

Don't expect a miraculous change. As the hydraflush takes time (it specifies 500KM to 5000KM), you may not feel the difference yourself, unless others drive it more than you. When I did my BX (a very long time ago), I couldn't tell the difference. However, my mother did. She had been in the car before I did the cycle, and the next time was after the cycle was completed. She commented on how much nicer the ride was, comparing the difference as between a camping bed and a feather mattress.
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
cc101

Post by cc101 »

Thanks for the info I'll give it a go.

Cheers, Chris.
Xantia 1.9 TD 1993 (sinker)
xantia_v6
Forum Admin Team
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: -
1997 Citroen Xantia V6 (France)
1999 Citroen XM V6 ES9 (France)
2011 Peugeot 308 CC THP 155 (NZ)
1975 Jaguar XJ-S pre-HE (NZ)

Post by xantia_v6 »

I am a bit skeptical. For a non-hydroactive system, once the height has settled, there is no flow of LHM through any pipes in normal operation, as the spheres are screwed directly onto the hydraulic RAMS.
Mandrake
My Cars:

Post by Mandrake »

xantia_v6 wrote:I am a bit skeptical. For a non-hydroactive system, once the height has settled, there is no flow of LHM through any pipes in normal operation, as the spheres are screwed directly onto the hydraulic RAMS.
I'm a bit skeptical of ride improvements from hydraflushing on a non Hydractive car as well, for the same reason.

Fresh LHM may ride slightly better than old dirty LHM though as the anti frothing agents in the oil deteriorate over time, allowing certain parts of the system (like the power steering) to froth the oil up more allowing more air into the system...fresh LHM with good anti-frothing qualities will allow any air bubbles in the return line to disperse more easily in the tank.

On a Hydractive system though I can see the potential for ride improvements, as I think intermittently sticking Hydractive control block valves is probably getting quite common with the age Xantia's are now at...
Simon

1997 Xantia S1 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive in Silex Grey
2016 Nissan Leaf Tekna 30kWh in White

2011 Peugeot Ion Full Electric in Silver
1977 G Special 1129cc LHD
1978 CX 2400
1997 Xantia S1 2.0i Auto VSX
1998 Xantia S2 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

Hydroflush should help clean out some of the gunk from the height corrector valves (not the turrets). After cleaning Cassy's not only were they more responsive but her ride improved.
1.9TD+ SX Xantia Estate (Cassy) running on 100% veg
1.9TD SX Xantia Hatchback (Jenny) running on 100% veg for sale
Laguna II 2.0dCi Privilege (Monty)

DIY sphere tool
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

Something to remember (and I only just thought of) is that the pneumatic system doesn't just drive the suspension, it also works the steering and the brakes. The hydraflush has got to help these as well.
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!