C5 2.0L VTR aux belt

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Paddy77

C5 2.0L VTR aux belt

Post by Paddy77 »

Hi guys & gals
First post hope it's ok as not posted in the new members part yet, anyway my problem is that I have a 2004 c5 mk1 2.0l petrol the fan aux belt what ever you call it went last night with all the kids in the car I have three under six lol got it home so would like to put a belt on today can anyone tell me what size belt & a diagram of how the belts goes on pullys,
Will be very thankful for a quick reply that's about it only had the car a week but is my forth c5 all have been perfect & I mean that but this on is playing silly the heater blower has just stop tried a s/h control thing but still the same sorry to go on I will open a new thread, sorry about the long post thanks for reading all the best paddy
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Re: C5 2.0L VTR aux belt

Post by Peter.N. »

Hi Paddy

The first thing you need to do is to find the length of the belt, if you just order one its more than likely they will send you the wrong one. Look carefully round the belt, if you are lucky the length which was marked on it when new may still be visible, it will be something 1500 which is the length in mm, if its not there measure it. I had two incorrect belts for my diesel C5.

You really need a Haynes manual to see how to fit the belt, unless someone can post a picture for you, its not difficult but you have to get it the right way round all the pulleys.

Peter
Paddy77

Post by Paddy77 »

Hi thanks for the reply the belt is in bits no way of reading it also I just stated it & it like the timing belt is scraping on the cover as I pushed the cover over a bit & the noise stop has the belt done some thing else worrying now as no dosh at the mo for big car problems it will be scrap I am afread to say if its the timing & I do love a c5 please help guys
Peter.N.
Moderating Team

Post by Peter.N. »

Could be that your crankshaft pulley is falling apart, grab hold of the outside edge and see if it moves, if not it could be a worn tensioner but they don't usually give trouble.

Peter
Paddy77

Post by Paddy77 »

Hi Peter
Thanks the crank PULLY has no movement had a look at the old belt & it was ok to get the size from it so have the belt do I need to remove the engine mount to put the belt on any tips from you guys would be grate thanks again Peter will see how it goes in the morn any one know how it goes around the pullys it the 2.0 litre petrol VTR hope some one can help all the best paddy
Peter.N.
Moderating Team

Post by Peter.N. »

Paddy

I have only done them on the diesel engines don't know if the petrols are the same but I would think so. I have just had a look in the manual and the process looks pretty well the same. Does yours have aircon? Let me know and I will give you a description of the process.

Peter
Paddy77

Post by Paddy77 »

Hi Peter
Thank you again,yes its got aircon if you could do that for me that would be perfect thanks for your time mate all the best paddy
Peter.N.
Moderating Team

Post by Peter.N. »

Right, first you will have to remove the inner wing liner to gain access, from then on it actually looks easier than the diesel. The tensioner pulley has a bolt in the centre, put a largish spanner on it and turn anti clockwise to release the tension, you obviously won't need to do this to get the belt off but you will to get it on. Pass the belt around the crankshaft pulley then going clockwise under the tensioner, from there up and round the power steering pulley then right back to the idler, from there back up over the alternator pulley, down to the aircon compressor and back to the crankshaft. Once you have it running approximately round the circuit you will need to release the tension with the aformentioned spanner to get the belt over all the pulleys.

Once you have it on start the engine and watch carefully for any run out possibly caused by the tensioner or idler pulley. Have a nice time :-D

Peter
Paddy77

Post by Paddy77 »

Thank you will let you know how much fun I have.all the best.
Paddy77

Post by Paddy77 »

Hi guys have just done the belt but after a secs from starting I got a light on the dash saying abs fault is there any thing I could of touch but I am sure I never could it be the low battery but that is fully charged well car been running for 30 min please can someone reply with there thoughts thanks paddy
Paddy77

Post by Paddy77 »

Hi just a quick thought I ran the car with drivers wheel off would this make the ABS light come on anyone have any thoughts please reply thanks again
Peter.N.
Moderating Team

Post by Peter.N. »

Yes, try it on the road.
Paddy77

Post by Paddy77 »

Hi Peter
Thank you for your time you was right put the wheel back on took it round the block light went off so all sorted must say very easy aux belt to do I was doing one on tdci mondeo last week for a mate & what pig that was anyway all sorted now thaks for your time mate :-D
Peter.N.
Moderating Team

Post by Peter.N. »

Your'e welcome :-D