Peugeot 106 MOT

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

imperial21
My Cars:

Peugeot 106 MOT

Post by imperial21 »

Hi
I am just doing some mot repairs for a friend on there 106, It failed on Nearside rear brake recording little or no effort.
I have had the drum off and checked the worst i can find is the wheel cylinder is just starting to leak, I would nt have thought that would cause a fail ? I do mean just starting to leak, there is nothing on the shoes etc the cylinder is damp and peel back the rubber a bit and fluid comes out !
Also i see they have redesigned the adjusters on the later 106 are the ratchets on them still known to fail like the early ones ?
By the way its a 4 stud wheel.
1999 Xantia exclusive 110BHP !! Now RIP !!
2002 C5 estate 110 hdi, Happily sold on !!!
citronut
My Cars:

Re: Peugeot 106 MOT

Post by citronut »

firstly is it the service brake, hand brake or both

do the cylinder pistons slide freely,

is the adjuster of the Bendix type that loose's its tinny stainless steel ratchet locking pawl,

what condition is the hand brake cable, any bulges or cracks in the outer sheath
Regards, malcolm.

current ride a BX 1.7 TZD estate
1986 MK1 BX 1.9na D Auto(in Mothman Andy's stable )
layed up roppy 1.9TD XANT estate, now gone to meet her maker
purple and lilac metalic 2CV(VIOLET)registered to her in doors
1972 DS special been layed up aprox 31 years
imperial21
My Cars:

Post by imperial21 »

Hi
the mot fail was written as i put above so i guess justfoot brake . handbrake cables seem fine. also unusually for a 106 the foot brake feels good. Adjusted are different to the 3 stud ones but again seem ok. that's why i am not sure ?
i have worked on lots of 106 s and Saxos but usually the pedal feels terrible when they fail.
1999 Xantia exclusive 110BHP !! Now RIP !!
2002 C5 estate 110 hdi, Happily sold on !!!
spider
My Cars: Soon, I hope...

Post by spider »

If you're sure the shoes and adjusters are OK then perhaps the cylinder is seizing up. If there's fluid under the boot then its about ready really anyway.
Andy.

91 205D-Turbo, gone but still missed
02 106D, TUD5B, gone but not really missed apart from the MPG
Oldpug
My Cars: Peugeot 406 GLX
Audi A3 TFSI S Line
Mercedes SL320
(In the past,just about every old Peugeot you can think of.)

Post by Oldpug »

I`ve had this a lot on 106/Saxo failing on rear foot brake efficiency?? when every thing appears to be OK? They always get a poor reading on the rollers. My suggestion is,as one cyl` is leaking change both with a good bleed.Give the shoes and drums a good clean and click the auto adjusters up (not too much).
Ironman

Post by Ironman »

My saxo has just had it's first MOT fail in it's lifetime on rear service brake. I can't find anything obvious wrong with it and the brakes are well balanced from side to side. Fronts were both reading 200 on test and Handbrake was was over 100 on both sides but, the service brake on the rears was 57.7 and 57.9 I've had the rear drums off, nothing is leaking only a small amount of dust. I've changed both rear wheel cylinders (although couldn't find much wrong with the old ones) incase it is something to do with the inbuilt valves.
This is what they looked like when I pulled the drums off. These are the original shoes and it's a 2001 car.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/57d2r1m8c7pq3 ... 7.JPG?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/f5r47z6dlm4wn ... 1.JPG?dl=0

Any suggestions would be appreciated