Xantia electrical issue

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

atr
My Cars: Xantia 2.0l 16v 2001 petrol
C5 mkII 2.0l petrol sx pack 2007
C5 x7 saloon petrol 2010

Xantia electrical issue

Post by atr »

Hi
My question is of electrical matter. I have a 2001 2.0i xantia. the headlight switch is not connected via the ignition key, so one can turn off the ignition, leave the headlights on and drain the battery - that what happend to me yesterday.
I would like to change the wiring and add a relay - so that the high current that the lights consume wont flow trough the ignition switch. did any of you done it and can guide me which point do I have to connect/disconnect?
Thanx.
handyman
My Cars:

Re: Xantia electrical issue

Post by handyman »

The lighting circuit on all Srs2 Xantias is already switched via a relay in the circuit. There should be a warning buzzer that sounds if you remove the ignition key with the lights still on. It should be activated on the door switch circuit, as it is prompted when you effect an exit. #-o

The buzzer is located in the dash, I think, from memory, but its usually the door switch that gives the problems.

H
lurchy666
My Cars: citroen c5 hdi 2.2 auto estate

Post by lurchy666 »

right youll need some cable some crimps (blue spade) and a 4 pin relay

you need to find an ignition/engine run live such as alternator light or ignition switch when in position 2, an earth and the headlight feedfrom the switch to the headlights

right on your relay it will be numbered 30 85 86 87 and maybe 87a if a 5 pin relay

30 and 87 should be your headlight cable from switch to headlights

85can be your earth ( altho it dont matter which way around you put 85 and 86 the relay will still work)

and 86 your ignition feed

i'll do abasic picture later and put it up if it'll help any
c5 2.2 auto hdi estate 52 reg
lurchy666
My Cars: citroen c5 hdi 2.2 auto estate

Post by lurchy666 »

only thing is i dont know what colours the cables are at the headlight stalk so youll have to get a multi meter and test them, also high beam would need doing as well as on mine high if switched on stays on aswell,

or if you have done the imfamous headlight relay mod to make your lights brighter its easier to do it in the engine bay
Attachments
relay numbers
relay numbers
c5 2.2 auto hdi estate 52 reg
atr
My Cars: Xantia 2.0l 16v 2001 petrol
C5 mkII 2.0l petrol sx pack 2007
C5 x7 saloon petrol 2010

Post by atr »

Thanx
It's quite clear. I hope to try it soon.