Peugeot 205 1.8D Lucas pump overhaul

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

ade_j

Peugeot 205 1.8D Lucas pump overhaul

Post by ade_j »

The Lucas injector pump on my beloved 1996 Peugeot 205 1.8D has started leaking fuel around the throttle spindle. From looking at a post from 7 years or so ago on this forum (http://www.frenchcarforum.co.uk/forum/v ... p?p=132589), it looks like repair is reasonably straightforward, provided that one has an overhaul kit for the pump. So, does anyone know a current supplier of such kits and how much they cost roughly? The gentleman who had a supplier in that thread doesn't know where to get them nowadays.

Many thanks,
Ade
citronut
My Cars:

Re: Peugeot 205 1.8D Lucas pump overhaul

Post by citronut »

when i do this job i fit a new lid as well as the 4 O rings 2 on each of the two spindles,

this is the company i used but mind you order all you require in on hit as there postage is quite steep, as they only send recorded delivery,

http://www.merlindiesel.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

also they only do the seals in packs of 10,

if you wait till tomorrow eve i will post the part No.'s which you might be able to google and get them elsewhere,

you have to send your order, phone No. and address via email to start with,
then they call you
Regards, malcolm.

current ride a BX 1.7 TZD estate
1986 MK1 BX 1.9na D Auto(in Mothman Andy's stable )
layed up roppy 1.9TD XANT estate, now gone to meet her maker
purple and lilac metalic 2CV(VIOLET)registered to her in doors
1972 DS special been layed up aprox 31 years
ade_j

Post by ade_j »

Many thanks Malcolm, in the meantime I'll try to get the serial number from the underside of the pump.

Ade
ade_j

Post by ade_j »

While having a look again this morning I've discovered 2 more things.

1) There seems to be a bit of fuel weeping from the bit where the plastic meets metal on the top of the stop solenoid. Does this mean I need a new solenoid too or will this just resolve itself when I sort the other seals? The solenoid appears to be working OK as the engine switches off.

2) The fast idle cable doesn't seem to be moving- on a cold start the lever is not pulled across to the right as I would have expected it to be- I'm guessing something has seized in the thermostat under the fuel filter where the cable enters? Manually pulling the fast idle lever to the right ups the revs slightly for cold temps as expected. As the engine warms up after starting there is still no movement in the cable/ lever.

I'd welcome comments on these 2 and again, a source of parts if possible as I struggle to find bits these days. While I'm at it I guess I might as well replace the temperature sender in front of the fuel filter, which I presume has no impact on the fuel injection system but just provides a warning for the dashboard if things are overheating. Again, a source of these would be handy...
spider
My Cars: Soon, I hope...

Post by spider »

It could be the stop solenoid itself, clean it off with some aerosol brake cleaner (engine off!) and wait for it to evaporate before starting. Mine leaked out of the top instead of the usual lower seal. Its not as common a leak place but they can leak from there.

The fast idle cable will probably want a new waxstat, this just screws into the thermostat housing itself. Bleed the cooling system afterwards. You can manage without it although stalling on de-celleration is likely with a stone cold engine, as well as an idle speed far too low when its sub zero (for a few minutes at least) , they are easy to change. Dealer offers two types, as far as I can tell only the cable length varies. A Renault one will fit as well (yes really) but the cable is too short but it does shut off very quickly, I had one of these on my 205 it was quite good with it actually.

Both items are available from the dealers (expensive) or Ebay or possibly a good motor factors. Actually the waxstat is not that expensive from the dealer if I remember correctly. The solenoid is / was for sure.

Extra note: On the thermostat housing the small coolant pipe on the top, check this is *not* blocked in the housing as the passage is very small and is often overlooked. Take the pipe off (when you're doing the wax stat) and check the hole in the housing / stub is clear with a piece of wire or suchlike. Be very careful removing the pipe if its a right angle as these are a press fit into the housing, the earlier ones are screwed in (mine was) much safer. I actually took mine out and drilled it out a little bit but that may be a step too far for most.

The temp sender yes, depending if you have a gauge (unlikely) or a warning light, its just for those. On some models it can control the preheat box too, although not on a 205 that I'm aware of these are 'static' ie x seconds nearly every time so not a concern. Unplug the sender and earth it, then switch the ignition on and see if the light works or not. I modified my panel so the light came on with the others (via a diode so it did not come on if it was not intended otherwise) but I had a gauge and light on the TD

Sensor from dealer or good motor factor. Watch closely there's several types. Look at what you have, both the plug colour and more importantly the plastic band colour on the sensor itself, be careful not to mix these colours up if asked which one you wanted.
Andy.

91 205D-Turbo, gone but still missed
02 106D, TUD5B, gone but not really missed apart from the MPG