Low volume on 3030RDS in Xantia

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

anorak60

Low volume on 3030RDS in Xantia

Post by anorak60 »

Had a 97R 1.8iSX Xantia with 3030RDS unit that worked fine. Had to be scrapped so got hold of a 94M 1.9DSX which had a 2030 radio that would not even switch on (checked fuses etc and OK). So swopped radio units before scrapman came, when finally sorted code for 3030RDS fitted into 94M it only has low volume, bit like playing music on a mobile phone. The connectors fitted no problem, steering column buttons work but won't increase volume much and it retains the last station setting. Also aux connector works but still low volume.

Don't really want to fit non-Citroen unit as expect to find connector problems although adaptors appear to be available quite cheap on Ebay.

Has anybody ever had this low volume problem and fixed it?
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Re: Low volume on 3030RDS in Xantia

Post by CitroJim »

I wonder if the speakers are OK at first thought. It almost sounds, from your description, that only the tweeters on the to of the dash are functions and the door speakers are not contributing.

Normally the actual radio is very reliable, the biggest problem being loss of illumination lights.

It would be worth confirming that the 3030 has the same connections as the 2030 although I would have thought so, knowing the 4030 can be substituted for the 3030 so I see no reason that the 3030 should not be a straight swap with the 2030.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
anorak60

Post by anorak60 »

Thanks, I've nearly got to the stage of unscrewing the speakers from the doors on a fine day. It seems to be that at least one tweeter is working.
After another web trawl and reading the Citroen Owners Handbook that came with the car, that shows only 2 connector blocks for power/earth and speakers (plus ariel cable) as 'radio pre-equipment' so I wonder if the third connector block to steering wheel connector is the problem - although image of driving position in same undated book shows 'radio controls' on steering wheel.
Book is probably correct for 94M as it's shows the 'water in diesel' warning light which does comes on occasionally - I believe that was discontinued after a couple of years.
lurchy666
My Cars: citroen c5 hdi 2.2 auto estate

Post by lurchy666 »

couldnt be the traffic master lady box interfrering could it and cutting the speakers out, mine has been totally disabled and bypassed now szo i nolonger get her chiming in when shes not wanted,
c5 2.2 auto hdi estate 52 reg
anorak60

Post by anorak60 »

Been away for 10 days, thanks for advice on traffic master but the source of 3030 was a 97R series 1 petrol sx with no aircon or extras, so believe would not have traffic master, it has RDS that works. Down to speakers etc at weekend.
anorak60

Post by anorak60 »

Stumbled across Traffic Master site, they signed a contract to supply Citroen from 1999 model year.
Problem was very simple, somebody had installed odd speakers in front doors but never wired them up, probably because Citroen speakers appear to have different size spade connectors for wires from radio and these speakers had both same size. So packet of connectors for 80p and half an hour grovelling around and we now have deafening speakers. Shame I didn't strip the speakers out of the donor car as well as the radio!