C5 wheel studs

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

djjtl
My Cars:

C5 wheel studs

Post by djjtl »

I have a set of genuine alloy wheels fitted to my car and today I have just had to change the rear as it is punchered. My spare is a steel rim and when I put this on my car it wouldn't drive either forward or reverse after fitting it. Is there a different size stud for the steel wheels?
03 C5 2.O HDi 90 LX Estate 97K
reblack68
My Cars:

Re: C5 wheel studs

Post by reblack68 »

Yes there is. The spare on cars with alloys is designed to take the alloy type wheel stud, even though it looks the same as the "steel" spare. You need to get hold of wheel bolts from an LX or a spare from an SX or better. You'll see the difference in the spare wheels when you see the right one.
Richard

No French cars of my own at present.
Care of a 1994 205 D.
djjtl
My Cars:

Post by djjtl »

Thanks Richard
I had the alloys fitted from a donor car and they kept the original steel wheels and studs.The spare is for the steels rather than the alloys and also the brace that's with the spare only fits the locking nut adapter and not the alloy studs so after my mate a 50 mile round trip I had to leave my car parked up.I will get a new tyre on the alloy tomorrow and also be looking to buy the correct studs and new wheel brace.
Regards
Jay
Citroenmad
My Cars: 07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
07 Citroen C5 HDi VTR - Red
09 Citroen C3 1.4i VTR - Silver
01 Citroen Saxo 1.1i Forte - Mango Orange
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10

Post by Citroenmad »

There is a possibility that its not the bolts from preventing the wheel from turning but the rear brake caliper contacting with the inside of the steel wheel. This has happened to a few owners on here (Myglaren being one), its usually as the caliper is starting to twist due to corrosion in between the surfaces.

Might well nt be that, but its something to check. :)
Chris
07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10
reblack68
My Cars:

Post by reblack68 »

Ah yes, that's a distinct possibility and dead easy to check. You still need to have suitable wheel studs for the spare though.
Richard

Care of a 1994 205 D.
Citroenmad
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10

Post by Citroenmad »

I have used the spare wheel on one of our C5s with the alloy wheel bolts. It was fitted to the front but still there was no problem. Its pretty useless being supplied with a wheel and not the correct bolts, so surely the alloy ones will do as a get you home fix?

Xantias with alloy wheels have a spare steel wheel with adaptors fixed to the steel wheel to allow the alloy wheel bolts to be used. It sounds like the C5 could have done with the same idea.
Chris
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10
djjtl
My Cars:

Post by djjtl »

I'm getting up early and getting a part worn tyre fitted to the alloy and off back to change it and hopefully I can drive home. If it's the caliper is it easily cured ? I went to national tyres and was quoted £125 for a Bridgestone couldn't believe the cheek of it :roll:

I have ordered 4 new Hankook K425's off Camskill bargain £58 each and great for the money :-D

I have also ordered a telescopic wrench complete with 17.19,21,23 mm sockets so I wont have this problem again

Regards
Jay
Citroenmad
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10

Post by Citroenmad »

At that price your C5 must have 16" alloys with 215.55.16 tyres? If so, they are never cheap but that Hankook deal is very good.
Chris
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10
djjtl
My Cars:

Post by djjtl »

Chris
My tyres are 205 65 15 h and I was swayed to the hankook tyre with the new performance ratings and they came in at a B for both roll and grip where as the majority of the major manufacturers were c and d
reblack68
My Cars:

Post by reblack68 »

Citroenmad wrote: Xantias with alloy wheels have a spare steel wheel with adaptors fixed to the steel wheel to allow the alloy wheel bolts to be used. It sounds like the C5 could have done with the same idea.
In this case the road wheels have been changed but the spare hasn't. Although the two kinds of spare look the same the bolt holes are different.
Richard

Care of a 1994 205 D.
Gibbo2286
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: 2006 C5 2.0 Litre HDI VTR Automatic Estate.(now sold on)
Currently Renault Zoe 2014 ZE

Post by Gibbo2286 »

The steel spare supplied on cars with alloys is a normal wheel that has spacers about 5-6 mm thick welded on at the stud holes
Man is, by nature, a lazy beast, he does not need twice encouraging to do nothing.
djjtl
My Cars:

Post by djjtl »

Citroenmad wrote:There is a possibility that its not the bolts from preventing the wheel from turning but the rear brake caliper contacting with the inside of the steel wheel. This has happened to a few owners on here (Myglaren being one), its usually as the caliper is starting to twist due to corrosion in between the surfaces.

Might well nt be that, but its something to check. :)

Got the car collected today and I noticed that the caliper had been catching the steel wheel.I had to run all over Manchester to find a part worn tyre to fit [-o<

On driving home the ride was very bumpy at over 50 mph I don't know if it's because of the tyre or the brake caliper ?

I am now going to purchase an alloy wheel and get rid of the steel spare so I don't have this scenario again

Jay
Xantidote
My Cars:

Post by Xantidote »

djjtl wrote:ride was very bumpy at over 50 mph
- possible that the tyre has a flat, or other deformation, not necessarily obvious on visual inspection.

The caliper catching the wheel could be as Citroenmad suggests, due to corrosion/distortion of the caliper/back plate interface.

Another possibility is that the steel wheel is not the correct one for the car - there are various steel wheels around, off different Citroen/Peugot models, and their offsets do vary (as well as diameter). I'm not actually sure how significant the offset would be to cause the caliper to catch the wheel. Obviously sourcing an alloy replacement gets around the problem
Martin

1995 Xantia TDLX (deceased :( )
reblack68
My Cars:

Post by reblack68 »

The caliper does contact the inside of the C5 "steel" wheels (which are actually alloy and considerably lighter than conventional alloys) once the corrosion builds up. There's a good finger's worth of clearance once the corrosion has been chipped away. It does need to be sorted, the pads will be wedge shaped and it won't be doing the discs any good.
Richard

Care of a 1994 205 D.
djjtl
My Cars:

Post by djjtl »

I have ordered new disks and pads from europarts £42.28 after 30% discount and I will be getting some calipers from j&r off ebay.

There is nothing wrong with the tyre I had fitted and it's definitely a brake issue which will be resolved this weekend with lots of hard graft and sweat and blood looking at the removal procedure of the calipers :cry: