406 Hdi cold start noise (aux belt off)

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

forest aaron

406 Hdi cold start noise (aux belt off)

Post by forest aaron »

Hi All,
I'm new to this forum and I'm hoping that someone might be able to point me in the right direction. I've got a 406 HDI 2.0 and I'm getting a squeaking (screeching) noise on cold startup. After a few miles it disappears but I love this car and want to get everything sorted. Below is a small video on youtube I made of the noise and you'll notice I took off the aux belt because I thought it might be the crank pulley but that didn't work.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V7ealLF- ... MzuZ1NIdTw

My thought's are that it might be cambelt rollers but the previous owner had it changed only 26k miles ago and it really sounds like it is coming from the cam gear :?

Any thoughts will be most welcome in this head scratcher.
spider
My Cars: Soon, I hope...

Re: 406 Hdi cold start noise (aux belt off)

Post by spider »

Welcome.

Would be best to remove the top belt cover at least for a closer look. Going from the noise (I was never that good with noises, someone else may be able to suggest more) , I'm starting to suspect if its not the idler / tension roller it may be the water pump itself.

I take it the belt does not "whine" when you rev the engine ? , that usually points to an overtight belt as most people will do these by feel not with the correct gauge I think. To be fair you can get it spot on via feel once you've done a few anyway.
Andy.

91 205D-Turbo, gone but still missed
02 106D, TUD5B, gone but not really missed apart from the MPG
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

It sounds almost like a scraping noise..

Cambelt area is a good bet and my money is on the belt being incorrectly tensioned. It uses a manually adjusted eccentric tensioner and should ideally be set using a SEEM gauge but you can do it fairly reliably with the old 90 degree twist 'twixt finger and thumb.

Also, are you sure the tensioners and idlers were replaced? It's very important to do so as these are basically little wheels running on ballraces and they do wear.

The noise is a bit reminiscent of a dry bearing.

So, recheck tension and unless you know the tensioner and idler has been replaced, do so. Also it's always a good idea to replace the water pump whenever the cambelt is off so if not, do that too. The noise could well be the water pump too as Andy suggests.

As you love the car and want to be sure, redo the whole job again for peace of mind. I'd do it for peace of mind as although the engines don't suffer too badly if the belt breaks, usually just broken rockers, it's still a lot of trouble and a lot more trouble than a cambelt/roller and water pump replacement.

EDIT: Andy, you and I typing at the same time!!!
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
forest aaron

Post by forest aaron »

Thanks for the reply,
I don't get any belt whine when I rev the engine. I'm thinking of maybe going down the route of putting a new cam belt kit on and water pump. It would just be nice to get a few opinions before I do all of that incase it's something else I'm missing.
MichaelH

Post by MichaelH »

An old trick is a little squirt of water and when you hit the bit that is making the noise either the pitch changes or disapears. (obviously not into the alternator). Don't use oil/WD40 as this will lubricate longer term so you can't re-check (water only has an effect for about 5 mins).

this is not a fix it just finds the location.

The other trick is a long handled screw-driver with handle in your ear and touch blade carefully close to parts (being careful of moving bits). You don't need to put it on bearings etc. as often close enough will do.

Mike
UK Midlands currently with C5 (X7) Exclusive 2.0 HDI + 2 Pug 306s (Meridian and L) and a Pug 206L a/c
Previous C5 1 Exclusive 2.0 HDI, Pug 407LX HDI, 2No. Pug 406s LX HDI, Pug 309GLD, Pug 205GL, Pug 505GL, Pug 604SE, Pug 504ti
spider
My Cars: Soon, I hope...

Post by spider »

Although the WD40 principle is sound in itself, I'd (personally) not want to spray fluid of any kind on a timing belt. An accessories belt is a different matter though, I know on a Citroen it drives the HP which would be a concern if it broke but the principle of lubricating a timing belt I find unsettling. :)
Andy.

91 205D-Turbo, gone but still missed
02 106D, TUD5B, gone but not really missed apart from the MPG
lurchy666
My Cars: citroen c5 hdi 2.2 auto estate

Post by lurchy666 »

ive got exactly the same noise on my xantia hdi never really thought about it untill i saw this post, mine also disapears after a minute or so of running and dont arrive again untill engine is stone cold,
c5 2.2 auto hdi estate 52 reg